DO applying for Ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msgbueno

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into an ortho residency with a DO? Will it be even harder for me since I'll have a DO instead of an MD? Also, if any of you know a DO who made it into an ortho residency, could you contact me so I could get some info...

Members don't see this ad.

i think your chances are slim, at best. ortho is so competitive that MD programs don't need to take DOs. not that it can't happen, but i'm sure it's really tough. your shot at DO programs are much better, but even then they are tough.

I'm aware of two all DO orthopedic groups that are very successful. It can absolutely happen. more than you think.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of one DO who matched at a very good MD ortho program.... he was #1 in his class, scored very high on USMLE, and did research with a well known orthopod that he presented at a national meeting. Its possible but you really have to be honest with yourself, the odds are against you.

Honestly, orthopedics is a hard specialty to attain a position in. However, don't be limited because you are DO. I have known many ortho programs around the area that have accepted DOs into ortho programs. Just as long as you do well on your boards, well on rotations, and solid LORs...you should be competitive. The DO/MD controversy is soon fading out.

as i posted on the other thread regarding FP/IM/ER/OBGYN, there are a whole world of osteopathic ortho residencies available to you as well! granted you need to be a competitive candidate to begin with, but assuming you have decent numbers, a few months of rotating in some different D.O. programs will also give you an edge! once they get to know you and enjoy working with you, the picture is much much brighter! don't get too freaked out...where there's a will, there's a way!