DO Backup ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdandturk

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, How many of you are applying to DO as backup if MD does not work out?

Members don't see this ad.

THIS IS ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID ON THIS TOPIC.....

:lock: :troll: :lock:

What is the big deal. DO and MD are pretty much the same thing ( so dont give me that BS of " if you don't believe in the philosophy you should't go" ). However it is easier to be accepted into a DO school. Therefore an average MD applicant, (3.7/31) which I am BTW, should apply DO to have some peace of mind that he/she will be going to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heres the honest truth from me. I applied to MD AS A BACKUP (due to legacy).

What is the big deal. DO and MD are pretty much the same thing ( so dont give me that BS of " if you don't believe in the philosophy you should't go" ). However it is easier to be accepted into a DO school. Therefore an average MD applicant, (3.7/31) which I am BTW, should apply DO to have some peace of mind that he/she will be going to medical school.

Congratulations on your undergraduate achievements. I am very sure that you worked extremely hard for your 3.7 GPA and studied immensely for your 31 MCAT score, and you have been rewarded. I would like to tell you a story that I heard while touring TCOM-UNTSC.

There was an applicant who was nearing graduation from Harvard with a 3.8 GPA and a 41 on his MCAT. A 3.8 with a 41! Those are scores people dream of and hardly ever obtain. Of course, as you would guess, he was offered an interview to the school as a solid applicant. Guess what happened next? He was rejected. I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. This individual had no ability to communicate with peers, keep eye contact, or be personable at all. The admissions director told me that she was sure he'd get into some kind of medical school somewhere, as his stats were superb, but that he was not the kind of student that she felt would make a fantastic graduate physician from their school.

So why did I tell you that story? First of all, your collegiate GPA and MCAT scores honestly do mean nothing in the scope of medical school. During my short time here I have seen many people with far more extensive backgrounds than myself in Anatomy and Histology struggle with concepts and information. I have also seen, in myself, the ability of someone who has never taken an Anatomy or Histology course to come into medical school and excell through hard work and determination. The hard work that I did as an undergrad, and the hard work that everyone did in their journies to medical school, are thrown out of the window and left at the door. Sure certain backgrounds bring knowledge to the table that can be beneficial (i.e., EMT, Nurse, Masters, PhD, etc.), but medical school is an equalizer that you are never prepared for until you actually step foot into your first class. Taking 47 credit hours in a single semester means nothing to you, or anyone for that matter, until you actually experience it.

With scores like yours I would be apt to apply to both MD and DO schools to broaden my chances at being accepted, but nothing is ever a guarantee. I had a 3.14 GPA and a 27N MCAT and was accepted to 3 out of the 3 schools I interviewed at, but others with much better scores were waitlisted or rejected outright. It's all about who you are and not what you've done that will not only determine if you are accepted into medical school, but, ultimately, determine what kind of physician you will become.

A wise man in Henderson, NV once told me "if you get accepted to a school that you feel is not a good fit for you to learn, don't accept it, even if it's your only acceptance." That is what I would like for you to understand. If you do not care what your medical experience will be, then by all means take your DO acceptances (if they come) as a backup and attend there as a means to an end. Realize, however, that you will have to deal with those same people, those same faculty and staff, those same facilities, that same area, that same curriculum for the next 4 years of your life. Realize that this is one of the biggest decisions you will have to make, and that it will impact you for years to come. How will you ever be a good physician if you attend a school with a curriculum you cannot learn from? Make your decision on where to attend school based upon what works best for you and your lifestyle, not simply upon the fact that you want to go to medical school. Trust me; there is already enough stress in your first ten weeks of medical school to deal with that demand more time than there is in a week. Heaping on the fact that you hate the area, facility, teachers, students, food, or whatever will only add to your stress level, and that will not be good for your grades.

I am sure there were, are, and will be many people who apply to DO school as a back up: it's understandable. If you take away nothing from this post because it's too long, take this away: tact is important. Although it may be a backup for you, for many it is their desired or only options. By implying that being accepted to a DO school is somewhat lesser implys that you are better than a lot of people who are unable or do not desire to submit applications to MD schools. Having and displaying tact, understanding where it is apropriate to say things, and being respectful of your peers, whether they be equals, superiors, or subordinates, will get you further in life than any degree ever could. People will have a genuine respect for you, and that is always important.

Good luck in your application process.

take a second to think about how your question will be perceived by the people on this forum. There are about 3000 ways this discussion could turn sour and MAYBE 1 way that this could end in a decent conversation....to be honest i cant even think of the one way but i'm just giving you the benefit of the doubt. Think.

Reactions: 1 user
just out of curiosity, How many of you are applying to DO as backup if MD does not work out?

Well, the problem is that there is no such thing as a true back up in the medical school application process. It is hard to get into any medical school and there are absolutely no guarantees in this process, no matter how good you think your package is, or how competitive you perceive yourself to be, relative to a given set of schools. Period. You should naturally choose schools to maximize chances and applying to both types of programs can help you do that, as long as you are okay with being a DO and all that comes it. However, you should also apply to medical schools with an eye toward how well their individual program fits you, regardless of degree designation, provided you never cared much about what degree comes after your name in the first place. There are definitely differences in mission, emphasis, location, and rotations, among all medical schools in the United States. Do your research, inform yourself, and apply wisely. If you find that applying to some osteopathic medical schools fits into your overall scheme of things, then more power to you. Just make sure you know a bit about the osteopathic tradition and osteopathic principles and practices, because you WILL be learning it during your pre-clinical years, and in some cases during your rotations as well. You should feel at least open to the practice of OMT, otherwise, you are going to make it a bit harder on yourself. Just a word of advice.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
Well, the problem is that there is no such thing as a true back up in the medical school application process. It is hard to get into any medical school and there are absolutely no guarantees in this process, no matter how good you think your package is, or how competitive you perceive yourself to be, relative to a given set of schools. Period. You should naturally choose schools to maximize chances and applying to both types of programs can help you do that, as long as you are okay with being a DO and all that comes it. However, you should also apply to medical schools with an eye toward how well their individual program fits you, regardless of degree designation, provided you never cared much about what degree comes after your name in the first place. There are definitely differences in mission, emphasis, location, and rotations, among all medical schools in the United States. Do your research, inform yourself, and apply wisely. If you find that applying to some osteopathic medical schools fits into your overall scheme of things, then more power to you. Just make sure you know a bit about the osteopathic tradition and osteopathic principles and practices, because you WILL be learning it during your pre-clinical years, and in some cases during your rotations as well. You should feel at least open to the practice of OMT, otherwise, you are going to make it a bit harder on yourself. Just a word of advice.

Good luck with everything.

:thumbup: It seems like I've heard that information somewhere before :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your undergraduate achievements. I am very sure that you worked extremely hard for your 3.7 GPA and studied immensely for your 31 MCAT score, and you have been rewarded. I would like to tell you a story that I heard while touring TCOM-UNTSC.

There was an applicant who was nearing graduation from Harvard with a 3.8 GPA and a 41 on his MCAT. A 3.8 with a 41! Those are scores people dream of and hardly ever obtain. Of course, as you would guess, he was offered an interview to the school as a solid applicant. Guess what happened next? He was rejected. I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. This individual had no ability to communicate with peers, keep eye contact, or be personable at all. The admissions director told me that she was sure he'd get into some kind of medical school somewhere, as his stats were superb, but that he was not the kind of student that she felt would make a fantastic graduate physician from their school.

So why did I tell you that story? First of all, your collegiate GPA and MCAT scores honestly do mean nothing in the scope of medical school. During my short time here I have seen many people with far more extensive backgrounds than myself in Anatomy and Histology struggle with concepts and information. I have also seen, in myself, the ability of someone who has never taken an Anatomy or Histology course to come into medical school and excell through hard work and determination. The hard work that I did as an undergrad, and the hard work that everyone did in their journies to medical school, are thrown out of the window and left at the door. Sure certain backgrounds bring knowledge to the table that can be beneficial (i.e., EMT, Nurse, Masters, PhD, etc.), but medical school is an equalizer that you are never prepared for until you actually step foot into your first class. Taking 47 credit hours in a single semester means nothing to you, or anyone for that matter, until you actually experience it.

With scores like yours I would be apt to apply to both MD and DO schools to broaden my chances at being accepted, but nothing is ever a guarantee. I had a 3.14 GPA and a 27N MCAT and was accepted to 3 out of the 3 schools I interviewed at, but others with much better scores were waitlisted or rejected outright. It's all about who you are and not what you've done that will not only determine if you are accepted into medical school, but, ultimately, determine what kind of physician you will become.

A wise man in Henderson, NV once told me "if you get accepted to a school that you feel is not a good fit for you to learn, don't accept it, even if it's your only acceptance." That is what I would like for you to understand. If you do not care what your medical experience will be, then by all means take your DO acceptances (if they come) as a backup and attend there as a means to an end. Realize, however, that you will have to deal with those same people, those same faculty and staff, those same facilities, that same area, that same curriculum for the next 4 years of your life. Realize that this is one of the biggest decisions you will have to make, and that it will impact you for years to come. How will you ever be a good physician if you attend a school with a curriculum you cannot learn from? Make your decision on where to attend school based upon what works best for you and your lifestyle, not simply upon the fact that you want to go to medical school. Trust me; there is already enough stress in your first ten weeks of medical school to deal with that demand more time than there is in a week. Heaping on the fact that you hate the area, facility, teachers, students, food, or whatever will only add to your stress level, and that will not be good for your grades.

I am sure there were, are, and will be many people who apply to DO school as a back up: it's understandable. If you take away nothing from this post because it's too long, take this away: tact is important. Although it may be a backup for you, for many it is their desired or only options. By implying that being accepted to a DO school is somewhat lesser implys that you are better than a lot of people who are unable or do not desire to submit applications to MD schools. Having and displaying tact, understanding where it is apropriate to say things, and being respectful of your peers, whether they be equals, superiors, or subordinates, will get you further in life than any degree ever could. People will have a genuine respect for you, and that is always important.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that MCAT/GPA are in no way indicative of the quality of physician one will become. also i have worked with many DO's and in NO WAY do i think that they are lesser physicians. Regarding the application process,however; With my numbers, I am just one of thousands of applicants at MD schools. At DO schools I am in the upper tier and this gives me an advantage regarding ADMISSIONS and nothing else.

this gives me an advantage regarding ADMISSIONS and nothing else.

Probably not as much as you'd think. Especially if you came off like you were using DO schools as a backup during an interview.

Probably not as much as you'd think. Especially if you came off like you were using DO schools as a backup during an interview.
I actually have a 34. I just didn't want to say it because people would think I was just trolling. I'm not.

I actually have a 34. I just didn't want to say it because people would think I was just trolling. I'm not.

regardless of your MCAT score......its a pointless question to ask and is more likely to stir up trouble than end with anything useful. Luckily, youve had a few people give you some pretty good responses and advice. So, i guess its not a complete wast.e

Okay, I'm glad you are revealed that information, simply because I think it's better to be upfront and authentic than to conceal. However, what do you want me to do with that fact? For the record, it doesn't impress me that much. Yeah, it's a decent MCAT score (I've seen much better), but you have to understand that just because your numbers are good, doesn't mean you'll get into a school that has lower average MCAT/GPA than your corresponding numbers. Sure, it increases your probability, because it's an outstanding feature, but you have to understand that medical schools, particularly osteopathic medical schools, tend to look at your ENTIRE package, not just your MCAT/GPA. Yes, it is definitely good to have great numbers, and in some cases, crucial, but they are NOT--I repeat, NOT--necessarily sufficient for admission to a medical school. Thus, there are no real backups, or guarantees. If you don't get accepted to an allopathic medical school, just because your numbers are better than accepted averages at osteopathic medical schools, doesn't mean you'll automatically get accepted into one. Ultimately schools are not only looking for good students with the best overall packages, they are also going to be looking for the best fit for them; they are going to be looking for people who they think will choose, ultimately attend, and thrive at, their school.

To me, when you say, "backup," it implies that you don't want to really go there, but when it comes down to it, you'll settle because you are too lazy to bust your butt and do what is necessary to get what you really want. For better or worse, that's the connotation that "backup" has for me, so when I hear it, I'm thinking that you probably don't want to attend an osteopathic medical, that you haven't yet found any that you align with. Well, if that's the case, and that's where you are coming from, just apply to allopathic programs and if you don't get in this go-around, fix your application and reapply to allopathic programs. There are NO backups. If you like some osteopathic medical schools, then by all means apply to them. There are plenty of people who apply to both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools. I don't have an issue with that. It's smart and I did it, too. However, there were programs on both sides I would have gone to, if accepted. Unless that's the case for you, don't do it. There is a chance you'll become embittered by making a choice that you don't align with.

I mean, it's not like you've applied 3 times and didn't get in any where yet. Don't be so quick to think about settling. It's a precarious path.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
osteopathic medical schools, tend to look at your ENTIRE package...

So would you recommend chaps as opposed to the normal suit pants for my interviews? I'm asking because I want to avoid the awkwardness of having to fumble for the belt. I'm thinking these will do the trick...

oilcloth_CHAPS.jpg

Last edited:
So would you recommend chaps as opposed to the normal suit pants for my interviews? I'm asking because I want to avoid the awkwardness of having to fumble for the belt. I'm thinking these will do the trick...

http://www.millcreek-trading.com/drizabone/images/oilcloth_CHAPS.jpg

I know your game and I don't care to play it. You know as well as I do, numbers aren't sufficient for admittance. You are, in most cases, judged on a variety of factors. And I'm talking about medical schools in general now.

Okay, I'm glad you are revealed that information, simply because I think it's better to be upfront and authentic than to conceal. However, what do you want me to do with that fact? For the record, it doesn't impress me that much. Yeah, it's a decent MCAT score (I've seen much better), but you have to understand that just because your numbers are good, doesn't mean you'll get into a school that has lower average MCAT/GPA than your corresponding numbers. Sure, it increases your probability, because it's an outstanding feature, but you have to understand that medical schools, particularly osteopathic medical schools, tend to look at your ENTIRE package, not just your MCAT/GPA. Yes, it is definitely good to have great numbers, and in some cases, crucial, but they are NOT--I repeat, NOT--necessarily sufficient for admission to a medical school. Thus, there are no real backups, or guarantees. If you don't get accepted to an allopathic medical school, just because your numbers are better than accepted averages at osteopathic medical schools, doesn't mean you'll automatically get accepted into one. Ultimately schools are not only looking for good students with the best overall packages, they are also going to be looking for the best fit for them; they are going to be looking for people who they think will choose, ultimately attend, and thrive at, their school.

To me, when you say, "backup," it implies that you don't want to really go there, but when it comes down to it, you'll settle because you are too lazy to bust your butt and do what is necessary to get what you really want. For better or worse, that's the connotation that "backup" has for me, so when I hear it, I'm thinking that you probably don't want to attend an osteopathic medical, that you haven't yet found any that you align with. Well, if that's the case, and that's where you are coming from, just apply to allopathic programs and if you don't get in this go-around, fix your application and reapply to allopathic programs. There are NO backups. If you like some osteopathic medical schools, then by all means apply to them. There are plenty of people who apply to both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools. I don't have an issue with that. It's smart and I did it, too. However, there were programs on both sides I would have gone to, if accepted. Unless that's the case for you, don't do it. There is a chance you'll become embittered by making a choice that you don't align with.

I mean, it's not like you've applied 3 times and didn't get in any where yet. Don't be so quick to think about settling. It's a precarious path.
It's not like I think DO schools are any less than MD. I dont have any particular MD school that I am "aligned" with either. I just want to be a doctor. The only reason I would choose MD over DO is that an MD may open more doors later in my career. Other than that i could give a rat's ass about the initials after my name.
Additionally a neighbor of mine, who is a DO and is a faculty member at one of my schools told me that with my numbers I would pretty much have to show up to the interview drunk and carrying a loaded weapon, not to get in.
Also every school except for your top choice is, by definition, a backup. Does this mean that you should only apply to your top choice?
(BTW I am also not arrogant about with my MCAT score. I am still in shock; I thought that I bombed. I must have made a hell of alot of lucky guesses.)

Last edited:
I know your game and I don't care to play it. You know as well as I do, numbers aren't sufficient for admittance. You are, in most cases, judged on a variety of factors. And I'm talking about medical schools in general now.

Perhaps you missed the fact that I was trying to derail the tread... especially with such a vivid image of me, standing in front of an adcom in nothing but those chaps. They really would get a good look at my whole package.

And just so there is no confusion about which package I am talking about, what I'm talking about has nothing to do with a medical school application.

When I have to explain stuff it loses all its humor. Thanks spiced

It's not like I think DO schools are any less than MD. I dont have any particular MD school that I am "aligned" with either. I just want to be a doctor. The only reason I would choose MD over DO is that an MD may open more doors later in my career.

I think you are misunderstanding me. When I wrote my comments to you, I wasn't at all assuming that you thought osteopathic medical schools are "less than" allopathic medical schools. What I'm trying to do is to prevent you from becoming someone who settled for something they really didn't want and end up all unhappy and bitter. This is too extensive of a path to end up that way after all that work. You have more choice than you think.

If you think attending an allopathic medical school would open up more doors for you later in your career, than go allopathic. If you think you can accomplish the same things, whether you are an MD or a DO, then apply to both and attend the best program. I don't see how the concept of backups play into this. You are hinting that your preference would be allopathic, due to how you think it could benefit you later in your career. Well, then why are you applying to osteopathic medical schools? That makes no sense to me. There's no reason to settle for something you think will hamper your career.

Additionally a neighbor of mine, who is a DO and is a faculty member at one of my schools told me that with my numbers I would pretty much have to show up to the interview drunk and carrying a loaded weapon, not to get in.

Just because he's a DO, doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. If you had those numbers, and an otherwise good personality and overall application, then, yes, many schools might like to take a chance on you. However, if it's clear that you won't be coming to my school, why would I waste a seat on you? I'd offer it someone who I think is excited about my program and who wants to attend my school, even if their numbers weren't as good as yours, not someone who is going to "drop it like it's hot," when he gets an MD acceptance. It's just common sense. If you do apply to osteopathic medical schools with your current attitude, I hope you are good at acting.

Anyway, I'm not discouraging you from applying to osteopathic medical schools. At the end, I just want you to know what you are doing and to be fully aligned with your choices. If you think you'll be happy with attending an osteopathic medical school and being a DO, then by all means apply. I wish you good fortune!

I think you are misunderstanding me. When I wrote my comments to you, I wasn't at all assuming that you thought osteopathic medical schools are "less than" allopathic medical schools. What I'm trying to do is to prevent you from becoming someone who settled for something they really didn't want and end up all unhappy and bitter. This is too extensive of a path to end up that way after all that work. You have more choice than you think.

If you think attending an allopathic medical school would open up more doors for you later in your career, than go allopathic. If you think you can accomplish the same things, whether you are an MD or a DO, then apply to both and attend the best program. I don't see how the concept of backups play into this. You are hinting that your preference would be allopathic, due to how you think it could benefit you later in your career. Well, then why are you applying to osteopathic medical schools? That makes no sense to me. There's no reason to settle for something you think will hamper your career.

Just because he's a DO, doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. If you had those numbers, and an otherwise good personality and overall application, then, yes, many schools might like to take a chance on you. However, if it's clear that you won't be coming to my school, why would I waste a seat on you? I'd offer it someone who I think is excited about my program and who wants to attend my school, even if their numbers weren't as good as yours, not someone who is going to "drop it like it's hot," when he gets an MD acceptance. It's just common sense. If you do apply to osteopathic medical schools with your current attitude, I hope you are good at acting.
I am :D

Perhaps you missed the fact that I was trying to derail the tread... especially with such a vivid image of me, standing in front of an adcom in nothing but those chaps. They really would get a good look at my whole package.

And just so there is no confusion about which package I am talking about, what I'm talking about has nothing to do with a medical school application.

When I have to explain stuff it loses all its humor. Thanks spiced

Yeah, I apologize. It's been a long few weeks as I continue to struggle through neuro. What I need most is some sleep, but I doubt that's coming to me anytime soon.

Because you should not make the ideal the enemy of the good

No worries.

In terms of neuro I thought the high yeild neuro book was pretty good for a review of first year stuff that is clinically relevant. Outside of that, differentiating the myelopathies from radiculopathies from peripheral nerve lesions from demyelinating lesions just takes a while. Neuro's the one section of Robbins that I thought was disjointed, poorly organized and incomplete. First AID wasnt a whole heck of a lot better.

On the bright side, the stuff they ask you on boards is relatively straight forward. Good luck.

Because you should not make the ideal the enemy of the good

Why don't you think you'll get into an allopathic medical school? If you already think that and you know what's holding you back, why aren't you working to fix it so that you can come closer to what you truly want? Personally, I think you have a good shot as long as you approach it the right way.

It's okay if you want to settle, as long as you can become happy with that. I have several colleagues that wished they hadn't.

No worries.

In terms of neuro I thought the high yeild neuro book was pretty good for a review of first year stuff that is clinically relevant. Outside of that, differentiating the myelopathies from radiculopathies from peripheral nerve lesions from demyelinating lesions just takes a while. Neuro's the one section of Robbins that I thought was disjointed, poorly organized and incomplete. First AID wasnt a whole heck of a lot better.

Hey, thanks for the advice.

On the bright side, the stuff they ask you on boards is relatively straight forward. Good luck.

That's good to know.

Last edited:
Because I have been hanging around sdn too long and have grown paranoid that you have to be perfect to get in.

Last edited:
Because I have been hanging around sdn too long and have grown paranoid that you have to be perfect to get in

Now we are getting somewhere. I understand where you are coming from. Hanging around obsessed, gunner pre-meds can do that to the best of us. SDN represents a skewed view of things. Certainly due dilligence is a good thing, just don't let your fears and worries drive you. Make sound, informed decisions.

A "skewed" view is hardly sufficient to describe what SDN does to people. I love SDN and have met great people from this site, but there are certain areas I don't venture in because of what it turns people into. (Pre-Allo) I might post there once every month or so. I actually have more posts in the surgery forum than I do in pre-allo probably. Certain parts make people neurotic. They are cut throat, condescending, demoralizing, and a whole bunch of other words negative words.

For the record --

I was asked this question yesterday from a nurse:
"so if you got into both a DO and an MD school, which would you choose?"

my response was:
"I have already found out it is really going to depend on the school more than anything else. I have gotten interviews at both MD and DO, and I am going to decide on where to get my medical education depending on how happy I feel at a particular school."

And luckily for me, I have already received interviews at my top schools (FIU and SOMA) so its gonna be tricky if I get in at both of those places...

I commend you for this post. I am not sure I would have the patience and/or eloquency to state these points as well as you have. You really should save this in a word document, I am sure that every other day you could find a thread similar to this one to use it in.