Do Canadians still "write" the MCAT now that it is on a computer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOLDENc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been bugging me all day.

Members don't see this ad.

is there technology up north. If the rivers freeze all year round, it makes hydro-electric kinda difficult. we can fill out the fortran cards and mail them in.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Give em a break, eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi OP -

Is this about American English and Canadian English?
That a person 'takes a test' in the States and 'writes a test' in Canada? If so....

Canadian English is closer and closer to American English - so I'm not sure if it is totally uncommon to hear 'write an exam' in the States. In Canada, I've heard both ways.

When an exam is multiple choice, or computerized, I'd be less likely to say 'write an exam'.

What you're talking about is in this web-page:
http://www.answers.com/topic/canadian-english

Although that webpage says that this is still a clear difference, I think that this part of the language may be shifting right now - the difference isn't all that pronounced where I am. My ear does not feel funny when I hear 'i took the mcat' or 'i wrote the mcat'. even when i think of the computer in relation to the mcat, 'wrote' still feels o.k. because it's part of the expression 'to write an exam'.

Siobhan

This has been bugging me all day.
Yes, I know a Canadian pre-med who still says "write the MCAT". Takes some getting used to. Although, incidently, as far as I know, all those who speak the Queens English (Brits, Australians, Kiwis, certain Africans) also say "write". Seems to be synonymous with our "take", no-matter what the method testing. It's the darndest thing, but overall their command of English seems to be much better than many Americans.

eikenhein said:
wtf you must be the lamest troll ever
How aboot you relax.