DO Career opportunities, as seen from a concerned parent's perspective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hello all,

These are a few questions my dad, have put forth regarding DO physicians. Can anyone help me out?

"
From an engineering perspective: if you want to get a job in Google, generally people coming from very good schools/great qualifications are going to be hired. There’s always going to be a small % of people who don’t have top brand name educations, but most of the population comes from top schools.

UCLA is UCLA, UCSF is UCSF and Duke is Duke. As such, the top hospitals (think Stanford Hospital) don’t hire DOs. Basically, these top hospitals say that DO physicians are not quality physicians. What are your thoughts on this? Do you feel that having a DO prevents access to some of the highest/most prestigious job opportunities at well-known hospitals? Basically, a lot of private hospitals will not want to take DO physicians on. The percentage of DO physicians that can get into Yale or Stanford Med Center is a lot lower. Do you think Stanford will be fairer with regards to hiring a DO physician or an MD physician? How do MFGs play into this game? If you do a physician search at Stanford, or even some smaller private hospital, such as Bakersfield Memorial Hospital, there is only 1 DO. If you go to Bakersfield Memorial Hospital, according to current data, (7% of physicians in the US are DOs), there should be about 7 DOs for every 100 doctors, but there isn’t even close to that number. Do you think that this is a result of DO being considered inferior professional medical degrees? In states like California, why are DOs so under-represented?

If the DO degree is equivalent (in practice) to an MD degree, why aren’t all the same benefits of being an MD afforded to DOs?

Also, why is there such a high percentage of DO physicians in specialties like family practice, pediatrics, and internal medicine. The median salaries for other specialties are higher. A question to consider is, why do DOs apparently choose the lowest paying specialties after spending so much more on their medical education. Remember that most DO schools are private schools and cost so much more than MD schools. [sidebar: Not sure if this is true or not] Is to the DO degree a strong but not absolute confinement to these low paying specialties or is this a phenomenon across both MD and DO?

Two last minute statements:

DO Physicians will have more job opportunities in some states than in other states. DO Physicians will have more job opportunities in some fields than in other fields.

"

Yes this is an MD vs DO in a way, but I think these questions haven't been fully answered from other threads. If they have, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Defiant Doctor


I have a fellowship interview at UCLA, oh and Texas Scottish Rite, Dupont Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Hopkins, Children's Hospital of LA, University of Tenn, University of Minn, University of Colorado, Hospital for Special Surgery, Cincinnati Childrens, Wash U and a few others.

Specialty: Pediatric Ortho

If you know anything about ortho, you know those are some of the finest places to do your training.
 
I have a fellowship interview at UCLA, oh and Texas Scottish Rite, Dupont Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Hopkins, Children's Hospital of LA, University of Tenn, University of Minn, University of Colorado, Hospital for Special Surgery, Cincinnati Childrens, Wash U and a few others.

Specialty: Pediatric Ortho

If you know anything about ortho, you know those are some of the finest places to do your training.

That's VERY impressive! Congrats on all those interviews, and I hope they go well for you! They're all over the country, do you have any preferences?

And thanks for the information! Pediatric ortho sounds really competitive, congrats on doing so well 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's VERY impressive! Congrats on all those interviews, and I hope they go well for you! They're all over the country, do you have any preferences?

And thanks for the information! Pediatric ortho sounds really competitive, congrats on doing so well 🙂

I don't have a preference yet. If you look at the US News and world reports for best peds ortho you will see that I have a strong representation by the top 10. That doesn't mean thats the best for me. My current first choice is the Campbell Clinic in Memphis (Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics - its a textbook). I've only gone on 1 of 13 interviews so far so who is to say.

My fiancee is in practice right outside of Toledo so she prefers close but having UCLA and Children's Hospital of LA make the chances of being in LA that much higher.
 
That's VERY impressive! Congrats on all those interviews, and I hope they go well for you! They're all over the country, do you have any preferences?

And thanks for the information! Pediatric ortho sounds really competitive, congrats on doing so well 🙂

Don't worry. I think your "infraction" isn't anything at all, especially if it didn't involve any cops. You listed it and thats that. I hope you update with where you end up.

Btw Bacchus, (not sure if you will come back here or not), what residency are you shooting for since you match in February?
 
Don't worry. I think your "infraction" isn't anything at all, especially if it didn't involve any cops. You listed it and thats that. I hope you update with where you end up.

Btw Bacchus, (not sure if you will come back here or not), what residency are you shooting for since you match in February?

I have an infraction with the cops, including an arrest.

It goes everywhere I go, but hasn't prevented me from going anywhere I want to go.
 
This made me laugh pretty good Nontrad! I decided to make it official...hope you don't mind.

32497308.jpg


😉

Some AdComs might frown upon this meme :laugh: