DO chances? Help with finishing prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nat240

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Im a asian female and my cumulative gpa by the end of junior year will be around 3.3. This gpa is including nonacademic withdrawals from classes over semesters due to nonacademic reasons. My MCAT is around 510. Im worried of what my chances are at DO schools. I dont expect an acceptance from my instate TX schools but am applying anyway since its in-state. The rest of the schools I intend to apply to will be DO and out of state. Ive been a volunteer in a hospital for 1-2years and am in the process of getting an interview now to be a scribe. Ive been a part of clubs in college and am a leader in my church for 2 years along with ongoing leadership in the church for 5 years. I intend to get a letter of reccommendation from one of my science professors and a doctor when I start scribing. What do you all think my chances are? Also Im in a situation where I didnt pass biochemistry 1 but I may be allowed to take biochemistry 2. Some schools require biochem 1 as a prereq but I may only have biochem 2 credit on my transcript. I tried getting biochem 1 but my advisor wont let me and biochem 2 is still on my schedule. I started considered applying next year instead of in 2017 but I read a thread on here about low gpas and that low is when your gpa is 0.3 less than the schools average. Schools like michigan osteopathic school has an average of 3.4 where my 3.3 would be close to the average. What do you guys think about my chances and what I should do to get the credits I need? I was thinking that if I didnt get the prereqs that I could finish them over the summer of 2017 (when I wanted to start applying) and apply later in August/September to the DO schools. If anyone has advice on this itd be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT is 510 you are competitive for the the majority of DO schools. Concentrate on the newer schools such as
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
any new schools that open for 2018 (there will be several)