DO Chances? sGPA - 3.33, cGPA - 3.31, MCAT 30Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycolysis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! First post, but hopefully not the last...

Stats as above, including:

Caucasian, 28yo, male, new CA resident, from NY

Out of school for 1.5 years, have BS in exercise physio, MS in Nutrition, been taking care of grandparents (mostly functional, but cannot drive, cook etc.) volunteering as well (hours ~ 75+), and teaching martial arts.

EC's - research studies on nutrition and obesity, about 1 year experience. involved in various campus clubs, mostly teaching martial arts.
Teaching Assistant - 3 courses (bio, human and comparative anatomy)

LORs - 2x from MD's, and rest from college profs. MD letters are newer, others are old, getting a DO as well.

MCAT, have to retake, it's 3 years old.... so far practice tests going well, test in mid july. Needed a break from school and didn't apply right after I graduated. :(

Please let me know, thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you get another 30 I think youll def get in somewhere. Add some shadowing though

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, also should have included those things.

Shadowed three MD's, Vascular and General Surgeons, as well as ER physician. 20+ hours at surgeon's office, and 30+ hours of surgeries. ER physician was 12 hours spread out over 3 shifts.

DO is ongoing, currently 8 hours of shadowing family practice.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sorry, also should have included those things.

Shadowed three MD's, Vascular and General Surgeons, as well as ER physician. 20+ hours at surgeon's office, and 30+ hours of surgeries. ER physician was 12 hours spread out over 3 shifts.

DO is ongoing, currently 8 hours of shadowing family practice.

Thanks again!
The shadowing looks good. But adcomms will also want to see that you have experience interacting with patients, not just passively observing. Did you maybe work with obese clients subjects during your research or volunteer in a medical facility to help out somewhere?

Yes, I have worked directly with obese children in the research programs as well as their families. Providing familial care is a limited aspect of general patient interaction, how much should I discuss regarding what I have or have not done for my grandparents?

But I think I see what you're getting it; be sure to emphasize personal interaction experiences. With regards to volunteering, I do interact with patients and staff in the ER, but obviously not providing actual care, just making them comfortable and talking with their families.

I do get confused sometimes on what precisely constitutes patient interaction; is it just speaking with patients, physically helping the staff, demonstrating that you are comfortable interacting with (sometimes very sick) patients?

I do appreciate your comments!

1) I have worked directly with obese children in the research programs as well as their families.
2) Providing familial care is a limited aspect of general patient interaction, how much should I discuss regarding what I have or have not done for my grandparents?

But I think I see what you're getting it; be sure to emphasize personal interaction experiences. With regards to volunteering, I do interact with patients and staff in the ER, but obviously not providing actual care, just making them comfortable and talking with their families.

3) I do get confused sometimes on what precisely constitutes patient interaction; is it just speaking with patients, physically helping the staff, demonstrating that you are comfortable interacting with (sometimes very sick) patients?
1) Good.

2) If you provided a service that a nurse or MA might, then it may be relevant. This does not apply to activities of daily living. If you would do the same while babysitting a child, it would not be clinical experience, for example. But if you were present during medical visits, changed dressings, administered meds, provided catheter care or physical therapy, etc, then it's worth mentioning. This experience would be listed under Other, as it is not "Volunteer" when performed for a family member. And don't count on it helping your application. It is very rare for family-related medical care to be considered part of clinical experience by adcomms. But hopefully, it would still be viewed as altruistic.

3) Any patient interaction that helps them therapeutically, contributes to their medical care, or makes them more comfortable. It can be conversation, or physical assistance.