WAMC/School List Guidance: ( 3.57 cGPA, 3.33 sGPA, 521 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheHungryVegan

Reaction score
Hi All,

this is my first post on here so please let me know if there's anything I did incorrectly.

Stats:
  • cGPA: 3.57, sGPA: 3.33
  • 521 - (131 C/P, 129 CARS, 131 B/B, 130 P/S)

Demographic:
  • WA State
  • ORM
  • State School

Clinical:
  • Shadowed Neurology for 25 hours. (Might shadow director of orthopedic surgery for an additional 25 hours)
  • 1500 (likely to increase to 2000) Hours Clinical Laboratory experience
  • 1000 Hours In-patient Phlebotomy

Research Experience:
  • 1000 (Likely to increase to 2000) hours Research over the last 15 months
  • Two publications: third author in nature and fourth author in non-high impact journal.
  • 1 Conference, 2 Symposiums
Volunteering:
  • 100 hours volunteering as mentor at low income area high school I grew up around
  • 100 hours as a leader and coordinator for a homelessness shelter.
  • (Might volunteer with the Red Cross if need-be)
LOR:
  • 1 from Prestigious PI
  • 1 from scientist who I conducted research with
  • 1 from physician who is acting director for department
  • 1 from Biology Professor
  • 1 from supervisor who oversaw my leadership and drive during IP phlebotomy service
  • 1 from manager who can attest to my development and leader in the clinical lab
Other factors:
  • Dean's List student multiple quarters
  • Upward trending GPA, and maintained clinical job, research, full-time student all at the same time for two years.
Also would like add that the reason I had a low GPA my first 2 Q's at the university was due to family health issues and I had to take care of my family. This is something I plan on bringing up if my GPA is questioned.

Schools planning to apply to -
IS - UW, WSU, PNWU
State with close ties (Nevada) - UNevada
Tulane
UMich
Temple
Emory
UFlorida

Please offer suggestions on what schools I have a shot at getting an interview from! I know my GPA is my big hold down, but Im hoping all my other factors and my MCAT score are enough to open some doors.

*edit: formatting and corrected cGPA calculation

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At first blush, WSU and PNWU are your best bets IMO. I'm a little lost why you would pick Michigan or Florida given you are OOS and your GPA.
Am I not competitive enough for UW or other schools beyond WSU and PNWU?

and I chose UMich and UFlorida because Im well acquainted with faculty from there through my research and felt like they were good schools that matched my interests of research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I not competitive enough for UW or other schools beyond WSU and PNWU?
I can only comment on UW not being a great match based on your GPA. There are many more seats at WSU and PNWU which increases your chance at getting a seat. I will let others comment on a school list for you.

and I chose UMich and UFlorida because Im well acquainted with faculty from there through my research and felt like they were good schools that matched my interests of research.
UMich 10th percentile sGPA is 3.49 OOS matriculants
UFl 10th percentile sGPA is 3.35 OOS matriculants

You are underneath both which means your chances of getting an offer/interview are really small without a strong mission fit. Research connections only matter for graduate school (Masters or Ph.D.).

I can only comment on UW not being a great match based on your GPA. There are many more seats at WSU and PNWU which increases your chance at getting a seat. I will let others comment on a school list for you.

UMich 10th percentile sGPA is 3.49 OOS matriculants
UFl 10th percentile sGPA is 3.35 OOS matriculants

You are underneath both which means your chances of getting an offer/interview are really small without a strong mission fit. Research connections only matter for graduate school (Masters or Ph.D.).
Good point, thank you for bringing that to my attention! Looks like I will be knock UFl and UMich off my list.

Last edited:
What are your year by year GPA’s for both cGPA and sGPA?

Leave off the physician letter if they do not know you well. These kind of letters (which often pop up when somebody uses a doctor they shadowed) are essentially worthless. DO schools like to see them though. The MD schools will thank you for not giving them extra unnecessary materials.

What are your year by year GPA’s for both cGPA and sGPA?

Leave off the physician letter if they do not know you well. These kind of letters (which often pop up when somebody uses a doctor they shadowed) are essentially worthless. DO schools like to see them though. The MD schools will thank you for not giving them extra unnecessary materials.
sGPA: (3, 3.12, 3.6, 3.6)
cGPA: (3.16, 3.46, 3.83 3.85)

Also, I am an idiot. I miscalculated my GPA this whole time since my unofficial transcript (due to transfer credits from neighboring institution) doesn't present the correct GPA. my cGPA is supposed be 3.57

You should obtain another 25 hours of shadowing before you apply. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
California University
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
PNWU
TUNCOM
AZCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

Reactions: 1 user
You should obtain another 25 hours of shadowing before you apply. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
California University
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
PNWU
TUNCOM
AZCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Thank you! I feel that my volunteering is also lacking so I plan on getting more clinical and nonclinical hours, as well as do some more in-patient shadowing for a longer length of time. I think this will also help me obtain a better letter of rec from a physician.

Thank you! I feel that my volunteering is also lacking so I plan on getting more clinical and nonclinical hours, as well as do some more in-patient shadowing for a longer length of time. I think this will also help me obtain a better letter of rec from a physician.
I agree with Faha’s list.

You do not need more clinical hours. Obtaining more non-clinical volunteering at the homeless shelter you were a leader at would help. Again, save the physician letter of rec for the DO schools. Hackensack is one of the only MD schools that ask for a clinical letter I believe.

Reactions: 1 user