WAMC 3.5 cGPA 3.33 sGPA 507 MCAT (High science, low CARS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lo&Behold

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.5 and sGPA: 3.33 | High upward trend last 2 years. 4.0 in the last 4 semesters. I was initially an engineering major for the first 2 years, which may partially explain the lower GPA at the beginning of undergrad.
  2. MCAT score: 507 | CP: 128 CARS: 122 BB: 127 PS: 130 English is my second language, so unfortunately, no matter how much practice I have done to try and improve CARS, I kept getting 123s and then ended up with a 122 on the real thing, which tanked what could've been a very good score.
  3. State of residence: Arizona
  4. Race: White/Middle-eastern (born in Iraq)
  5. Undergraduate institution: UofA Physiology major
  6. Clinical experience: ~250 hrs at a local hospital in the ED, ICU, and Ortho volunteering over the period of a year (ongoing)
  7. Research experience: N/A
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 50 hrs PCP, Anesthesia, Cardiology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 150 hrs at a place that helps provide medical services, clothing, and food to the homeless; also at a food bank.
  10. Other extracurricular activities: Running my own online business with 6 figures of revenue and 3d rendering art projects.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Few Dean's list and academic year academic distinction.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I'm an immigrant and have traveled from one country to another a few times before coming to the US. I was a pre-dental student and applied to dental schools in the 2022 cycle. I realized medicine was a better fit for me, so I made the switch. I'm now taking my second gap year. (Btw, would this make me a non-trad applicant?). I'm open to applying DO, but would much rather get into an MD school for peace of mind down the road.
Let me know your thoughts and thank you ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Belmont (when it opens)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a ~50% chance for a MD acceptance so you should apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
NOVA
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

• Care
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Belmont (when it opens)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a ~50% chance for a MD acceptance so you should apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
NOVA
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Thank you very much for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:
Albany
Drexel
EVMS
GWU
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
NEOMED
Netter
Oakland-B
Rosy Franklin
Rush
SLU (maybe)
TCU
Temple
Tulane
U VM
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Your state school(s).
Any DO program. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

I suggest:
Albany
Drexel
EVMS
GWU
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
NEOMED
Netter
Oakland-B
Rosy Franklin
Rush
SLU (maybe)
TCU
Temple
Tulane
U VM
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Your state school(s).
Any DO program. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
Thanks for taking the time to help! I will look into the additional ones you provided.