DO Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justbananas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, here are my stats.
-Non-trad, caucasian
-3.4 overall GPA, 3.43 science GPA, with upward trend
-MCAT: 24, with a 9 BS, 8 Verbal, 7 PS breakdown.
-LOTS of clinical experience, including working for 3 years full time as an ophthalmic technician.
-Part business owner
-Great MD letters of rec, and one DO letter
-Collegiate athlete, member of pre-med club, dean's list a few semesters, scholarship recipient
-one year of research experience in Psychology (my major)
-volunteer experience: in ER, with collegiate sports team and a local athletic community

I'm debating on re-taking the MCAT, I would rather not, even though I'm fairly certain that I would do much better, simply because I have far too much going on at the moment.

Do I stand a chance for DO this year? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say you have a reasonable shot (though not great) at some of the lower tier DO schools. Look up some of the matriculant statistics for the DO schols and apply accordingly. If you apply early and broadly you might get lucky. FYI - nobody wants to retake the MCAT, but if I were in your situation, I would retake it. How were you performing on the practice tests?

-Non-trad, caucasian
-LOTS of clinical experience, including working for 3 years full time as an ophthalmic technician.
-Part business owner
-Collegiate athlete, member of pre-med club, dean's list a few semesters, scholarship recipient
-volunteer experience: in ER, with collegiate sports team and a local athletic community

I'm debating on re-taking the MCAT, I would rather not, even though I'm fairly certain that I would do much better, simply because I have far too much going on at the moment.

You have a shot to get somewhere if you apply early and broadly...

Members don't see this ad :)
chances look solid. Dont apply to CCOM, DMU, Touro NV or Touro CA though.

I had been getting somewhere between mid to high 20's. Thanks for the advice everyone!

depends. if you just want to get in SOMEWHERE, you are probably fine as long as you apply early and braodly

If you have your heart set on DMU or CCOM I would suggesting retaking that MCAT.

best of luck to you!

I'm really only applying the east coast schools, with my top choice being PCOM.

you're fine; just apply broadly.

-Non-trad, caucasian
-Part business owner

I'm really only applying the east coast schools, with my top choice being PCOM.

Retake the MCAT in that case. Low chances of PCOM with a 24 and NYCOM/TouroNY/UNE might be out of reach too.

Hmm, interesting...conflicting opinions. I guess I'll just retake it. Thanks again everyone, goodluck!:thumbup:

Which east coast schools do u plan to apply to? Like, every school from UNE down to NSU?

Which east coast schools do u plan to apply to? Like, every school from UNE down to NSU?

Pretty much, I'd be happy most anywhere. Would love to be in Pennsylvania or Florida though.