Do colleges see which year you did ECs as a whole?

gotmilklol

High Skooler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the colleges look at ure ECs are a whole? Or what year you did this and that?

B/c I have done no ECs for freshmen year (except for like 3 hrs of community service)
Became part of clubs during sophomore :
Newspaper Club
Planning to have 40 hrs of community hrs

Will colleges know that i did nothing for freshmen year?

Members don't see this ad.

Do the colleges look at ure ECs are a whole? Or what year you did this and that?

B/c I have done no ECs for freshmen year (except for like 3 hrs of community service)
Became part of clubs during sophomore :
Newspaper Club
Planning to have 40 hrs of community hrs

Will colleges know that i did nothing for freshmen year?

If you are referring to freshman year of high school, then the answer is no, and it doesn't matter. Medical schools do not look at anything you do in HS except maybe for GPA and SAT/ACT score (though that might only be the TMDSAS app.)

If you are referring to your freshman year of college, then the answer is yes, though it probably won't affect you much. If you did no EC's except for the last six months before you submit your application then it might raise a few eyebrows, but as long as you have regular consistent meaningful EC's from here on out, then you should be fine.

As long as you are active the other years of hs they will not care you did nothing freshman year. I did hardly any ECs any years and have been accepted everywhere, worry more about GPA \ SAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Colleges don't really care about when you do your ECs, per se, but they do care about how much time and effort you put in. Participating in a club for three years and slowly climbing the ladder from member to treasurer or president or something, is more highly valued than simply joining a bunch of clubs at the last minute.

So, my advice: stick with the Newspaper Club and do as much community service as you can! :luck:

Ofcourse it matters that you did something. The timing depends on how you present it. With me, i broke it down by date and ordered all the EC's i did by groups...e.g sports with sports, volunteering with volunteering, community service with community service (you get the point).

Most private schools take this into a factor for there decision, they would rather have someone who is smart and active, rather than someone who is just smart.

Colleges don't really care about when you do your ECs, per se, but they do care about how much time and effort you put in. Participating in a club for three years and slowly climbing the ladder from member to treasurer or president or something, is more highly valued than simply joining a bunch of clubs at the last minute.

So, my advice: stick with the Newspaper Club and do as much community service as you can! :luck:

You kind of contradicted yourself lol. I do have to disagree, though. Schools do care to some extent about when you did your ec's. You're right that they want to see commitment to a certain thing (volunteering, etc), but they would prefer not to see you cram it all in to your senior year.

You kind of contradicted yourself lol. I do have to disagree, though. Schools do care to some extent about when you did your ec's. You're right that they want to see commitment to a certain thing (volunteering, etc), but they would prefer not to see you cram it all in to your senior year.

:laugh: I tend to do that. Progression over time is valued, but since the OP did absolutely nothing freshman year, there's still a chance to show commitment during his next few years in high school. I think that's slightly more clear. Maybe. :D Anyway, I completely agree with you.