Do community GS residency programs have better hours than academic ones?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sargon2123

Reaction score
Asking for a friend

Members don't see this ad.

I think so.
But really more important is how busy the hospital is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some do, some don't. Depends on call expectations, overall case volume and room turnover, inpatient load and acuity,trauma, night float, your efficiency, and expectation about what you do when cases are done for the day. At my personal experience n=4 for a general surgery service :
Academic center 1: Intern chart/nurse pre-rounds 0500, chief led team round 0600, OR cases until 3-5 for the upper levels, sign out 5-6. Usually 1-2 big cases/ day ~3D/week, 1 day clinic, lots of seemingly meaningless busywork for the intern and midlevel.
Academic place 2: intern chart/nurse pre-round 0530, chief round 0600. 1-4 big whacks/day 2-4d/week. Sign out 6-7pm, some busy work but not as much with several NPs.
Community place 1: intern pre-round on every patient 0400-0600, have notes and orders ready and chief rounds 0600, then to pre-op where all hands are on deck by 0630 for 0700 starts for 1-8 cases/day 4.5d/week. Signout 6pm.
Community place 2: No set AM rounds, all patients expected to be seen, notes/orders done and pts pre-opped for 0730 start. 1-5 cases/day 4d/week. No sign out, home when cases done and patients tucked in.

I’ll bite....maybe. Who cares?
I really mean this and take it to heart. If you care about the hours in training just don’t do it. Just don’t. I know that’s not how it’s currently going but it’s how it is. You’ll be unprepared. Maybe 20 years from now training will catch up.
But for now....just go to the place with the best case diversity and that lets you operate. It’s just the way it is. Maybe not any more, but we’ve hired and fired 3 subspecialty surgeons in the last 2 years....and that’s not a reflection on the job. They were really bad. Very bad. You don’t want that. Not just for the job but for your mental well being. You want to hurt people? It’s a real possibility. It’s sad. Don’t do it. Just train hard.

Reactions: 3 users
Nope. I trained at a busy community gen surg. I've rotated/fellowshiped at 2 other academic places. We worked longer, stayed longer post call. Less oversight, more 'old school' attendings, fewer bodies able to cross cover cases. I usually did 1-2 gen surg cases post call then went home. (finished in 2017). The academic places did not operate post call.

That being said, being at a community place the OR was very interested in finishing up cases as early as possible, so we could walk out at 5 or 530 most regular days. That's efficiency though.

Reactions: 4 users