Do DC residents get preference for DC schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koalabear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether or not DC residents get preference for DC schools. Since we have no "state" school it kinda sucks because we get no tuition breaks etc. I've heard rumors that we get in-state preference at random schools in CA and in VA but that could be totally wrong. Does anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I read either on the George Washington or Georgetown website that preference is given to DC residents. And both schools have a higher acceptance rate of DC residents than out-of-staters.

No matter what they say about preference, it certainly is given at all DC schools, including GW, Gtown, and Howard.
GW in-state %: 27.7% Out of State: 5.2%
Gtown in-state: 22.2% Out of State: 5.5%
Howard in state: 9.9% Out of State: 4.5%

SanDiegoSOD said:
No matter what they say about preference, it certainly is given at all DC schools, including GW, Gtown, and Howard.
GW in-state %: 27.7% Out of State: 5.2%
Gtown in-state: 22.2% Out of State: 5.5%
Howard in state: 9.9% Out of State: 4.5%

Georgetown says it gives no priority to residents.

While I'm sure those statistics are accurate, it's not as simple as preference to DC residents.
There are two important factors here that lead to those numbers.

First, Georgetown (maybe the others too) has the special masters program. I'm sure students who do well there are given a hard look for admission.

Second, undergrads from those schools probably are given special attention as well. If you look at any private school in a state with a small applicant pop (ie yale in CT) you will see this same "in state preference" trend. Hence the skew in that direction.