DO deferral

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I apply to DO school and get in.........would it be possible to defer a year?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you be deferring?

Most places, as a rule of thumb, require a legit reason for doing so.

I'm assuming (and I'm hoping I'm wrong) that you'd defer to reapply to MD schools. This is unacceptable and not a legitimate reason. If you're asking this question for this reason don't apply DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should have locked this thread.

Wouldn't this be answered best in the pre-osteopathic forum?

If what you are trying to do is defer and hope for an acceptance to a MD school by reapplying I don't know if that's allowed. I know that when you defer an acceptance for an allopathic school you are NOT allowed to apply to other schools. If you do then your acceptance is taken away. If that is your plan then you are better off not applying this year and waiting another year to make yourself a stronger applicant for the school that you want.

get in first.

i don't understand why most people who don't have confidence in themselves getting into MD schools automatically assume DO schools are a shoe-in. and im assuming that is what you are thinking, since you "hypothetically" got accepted to a DO school and now are contemplating deferring. why apply in the first place?

i'm pretty sure they want the best as well.

If I apply to DO school and get in.........would it be possible to defer a year?

If this is your mindset without ANY kind of acceptance in hand ... just don't apply to DO schools.

Actually, I was just curious if I could if I had to plain and simple. No idea why you are all getting so defensive. But because you all HAVE to know.....I am doing an MPH program and there is a chance I will be able to do the whole thing in one year and a chance I will not be able to. I know you can defer MD schools so I was just wondering about DO. Calm down.

Actually, I was just curious if I could if I had to plain and simple. No idea why you are all getting so defensive. But because you all HAVE to know.....I am doing an MPH program and there is a chance I will be able to do the whole thing in one year and a chance I will not be able to. I know you can defer MD schools so I was just wondering about DO. Calm down.

i apologize for assuming..

i'm pretty sure most schools will allow you to defer for a good reason, and that seems like a good reason.

it is school specific though, so you'd be best contacting the schools you're interested in. you should post this in the pre-osteo forum

OMG, u guys are too funny. Why did everybody jump on the person asking a legitimate question? Let me try and help you out Mandy22. Even though this might differ slightly from school to school, the rule of thumb is that D.O schools are less likely to let you defer than M.D schools. However, if you have a legitimate reason, your best option would be to write the dean of that specific school with sufficient documentation ASAP. But like others have said, get in first. Good luck!

And to the rest of you, there is nothing wrong with asking to defer for a year to reapply to MD. In the end, if that's what a premed wants to do it will only create more options for them.

And to the rest of you, there is nothing wrong with asking to defer for a year to reapply to MD. In the end, if that's what a premed wants to do it will only create more options for them.

I'm pretty sure if you worded something like this to the Dean of Admissions in a letter that your deferral would get denied.

If someone has to hide why they are deferring (not referring to the OP but to this comment) so they can reapply M.D. then "yes" there is something wrong with it. If M.D. is the ONLY way they want to go then they don't have any business applying to D.O.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flack was given because it was posted in Pre-Allo which allows us to wonder if its a buy out to reapply MD. And yes, it is wrong to do this and a deferral will not be granted. Now if you can fake sickness or a death to get a deferrment then you shouldn't be applying at all.

I'm pretty sure if you worded something like this to the Dean of Admissions in a letter that your deferral would get denied.

If someone has to hide why they are deferring (not referring to the OP but to this comment) so they can reapply M.D. then "yes" there is something wrong with it. If M.D. is the ONLY way they want to go then they don't have any business applying to D.O.

Yup. Sam's post was ill informed ... don't listen.

Mandy22, I was granted a deferment on my admission at a DO school. I did it not to reapply to allopathic medical schools, but to ensure that I finish both Masters degree programs that I am enrolled in currently. Because I thought I might finish by July and both projects got held up, I contacted the Dean and asked her if it would be possible if I can defer due to the fact that I will not have completed both degrees until September or October. She was definitely understanding. Good luck finishing your MPH (that is one of the degrees I'm trying to finish).

Oh wow, will you look at that JaggerPlate. BurnDoctor did exactly what I advised Mandy22 to do and he got his deferral. I said to contact the dean with a legitimate reason. Doesn't seem ill informed now does it?

To explain a previous post so you guys don't jump down my throat again: When I said that there is nothing wrong with deferring for a year to reapply MD, I never advised to actually say that to the dean. Now if someone does NOT have a legitimate reason, then they wouldn't be granted a deferral anyway. My point was that if, hypothetically, a person had a legit reason for deferring (such as finishing up a degree) and got the deferral.... there is nothing wrong with reapplying MD the next year. Just because a DO school decides to grant you a deferral doesn't mean you have to go to that school the following year. You can just apply to better schools.

You defer on the intention of attending that school that following year. I'm not sure if the deferral is written in the form of an admissions contract, however. Reapplying after getting a deferral is just bad juju and karma will surely rear its ugly head eventually.

There is no contract. And even if there was, they can't make you go to their school. Yeah you are right though... going to an MD school instead will cause karma to catch up to you and actually let you in better residencies.

I said to contact the dean with a legitimate reason. Doesn't seem ill informed now does it?

No it still does. What you said was a shot in the dark based on your anti-DO attitude. Just because you fell ass-backwards into a situation where someone else on the internet said the same thing doesn't make what you said any less stupid or ill informed.

To explain a previous post so you guys don't jump down my throat again: When I said that there is nothing wrong with deferring for a year to reapply MD, I never advised to actually say that to the dean. Now if someone does NOT have a legitimate reason, then they wouldn't be granted a deferral anyway. My point was that if, hypothetically, a person had a legit reason for deferring (such as finishing up a degree) and got the deferral.... there is nothing wrong with reapplying MD the next year. Just because a DO school decides to grant you a deferral doesn't mean you have to go to that school the following year. You can just apply to better schools.

If you have an absolutely legitimate reason -ie someone in my family is sick, need to wait a year before moving my family etc - then it is worth a shot. However, based on your other comment in this board Sam ... I have a feeling that you believe there is nothing wrong with taking up a spot in an upcoming DO class so your selfish ass can reapply to MD schools, since MD > DO in your opinion. Right??

Mandy I also apologize for "jumping down your throat" if that's the way that my post came off. It's just that there have been post in the pre-allo forum of applying to DO schools, getting accepted, and then deferring/refusing the acceptance with the intention of reapplying to MD schools. Now since your reason is in fact legitimate then I don't see why a Medical School would not grant you that deferral.

Also I was under the impression that when you deferred your acceptance it was with the understanding that you are planning on attending that school? When you defer an acceptance aren't you essentially telling the med school "Okay I can't come this year but I'll be coming next year if you let me?".

Mandy I also apologize for "jumping down your throat" if that's the way that my post came off. It's just that there have been post in the pre-allo forum of applying to DO schools, getting accepted, and then deferring/refusing the acceptance with the intention of reapplying to MD schools. Now since your reason is in fact legitimate then I don't see why a Medical School would not grant you that deferral.

Also I was under the impression that when you deferred your acceptance it was with the understanding that you are planning on attending that school? When you defer an acceptance aren't you essentially telling the med school "Okay I can't come this year but I'll be coming next year if you let me?".
Yes.

Hahaha I love it when hopeful D.O's get bent out of shape lol JaggerPlate: educate yourself first and don't pass judgment on my situation that you nothing about. The correct way of getting a deferral remains as I described previously. And I'm not basing that off of what one person on the internet said, I just found it ironic that the next post after your hateful attack completely proved my point. I'm not here to bash osteopathic medicine, I wrote what I wrote to give constructive advice to Mandy22, which I think I did.
Another reason for my posts was to show the people that posted responses on this topic how rude they were. Just because this topic was brought up in pre-allo forums and you guys feel very strongly about the subject does not mean you can attack Mandy. But as you can see Jagger, they apologized because my posts made them realize how defensive their responses were.
And finally, Jagger, I advise you seek professional help concerning your hilarious insecurities regarding the topic of equating the quality of education received at D.O schools versus M.D schools.

Hahaha I love it when hopeful D.O's get bent out of shape lol JaggerPlate: educate yourself first and don't pass judgment on my situation that you nothing about.

Practice what you preach???

I wrote what I wrote to give constructive advice to Mandy22, which I think I did. Another reason for my posts was to show the people that posted responses on this topic how rude they were. Just because this topic was brought up in pre-allo forums and you guys feel very strongly about the subject does not mean you can attack Mandy.

No one is attacking Mandy, and anyone who did attack her apologized. People are attacking you because your anti-DO bs and lame attempts to hide it.

But as you can see Jagger, they apologized because my posts made them realize how defensive their responses were.
And finally, Jagger, I advise you seek professional help concerning your hilarious insecurities regarding the topic of equating the quality of education received at D.O schools versus M.D schools.

No one is apologizing because of you. No one gives a crap about you. In the 15 post you have made here as a 'Medical Student' -which I personally find odd since you are looking into SMPs - you've done nothing but bash DOs at every chance you get. Thanks for the advice about the professional help though ... I was wondering if you could give me some advice?? I mean you are obviously important enough to get everyone in this thread to see the error of their ways and apologize AND know how to defer an acceptance with no evidence whatsoever. I wanted to end this post with some of your greatest hits to once again ... remind everyone you are either a. A troll or b. Tragically insecure yourself during your search for a post bac program and get some weird pleasure in bagging on DO schools. Regardless ...

TCOM? You have to be kidding. D.O schools offer little to no research. For the most part they will tell you it's a funding issue. To an extent that is true, but anyone that believes some of the D.O schools that claim they are "non-profits" is blind.

Dude, come on. Are the med schools that you visited or heard about that bad? Bad enough that you would turn down going there instead of realizing the dream of becoming a doctor (MD)? Let us not forget that a lot of premeds apply to both MD and DO, and if you are suggesting that pre-med students going after an MD acceptance shouldn't even bother applying D.O then osteopathic schools wouldn't be able to fill their classes with marginally intelligent people.

The answers proposed to the "if you get into MD and DO, which one would you choose" are really good... except the fact that you would be lying cause most people (notice I said most people, not all people) would choose ANY MD school over D.O. Fact of life.

An 18 on the mcat is not a sufficient score even for D.O schools. But the 3.7 gpa definitely helps since its way above what you need for osteo schools.

Woooowwwwww, see there you go again assume things about me that you know nothing about. I never passed any judgement about you, so how dare you tell me to "practice what I preach". If you must know, Jagger, I am an M1 at THE University of Michigan class of 2012. As far as my posts about the wayne state post-bac program, it's to help my cousin out because he is considering this program since he doesn't want to go to the DO school he got into because of financial reasons. So as you can clearly see, you happen to be the insecure one about your own future cause guess what...I'm already in a top med school.

Do everybody a favor, Jagger, and remove the sand from your vagina :D

Status
Not open for further replies.