rajmahal1980

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
Status
If I took AP Bio and Physics, do I still need to take general bio and physics for a year?

I've already graduated from colllege and I have taken many upper division bio courses but the problem is I have not taken any labs.

Do the AP classes take care of the lab requirement also? If not which labs can I take?

Can I take courses like anatomy and microbiology to complete that or do I have to take genereal bio over?

I know most schools websites say "one year of general bio (with lab)" or something similar to that. So how strict are about which lab you take?

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
What grade is marked on your undergraduate transcript for those AP credits? For example, do you just get a pass but no letter grade? I think that if that is the case, then you actually need to take the courses.

Your best bet is to probably contact a couple of schools and see what they say, or possibly research it on the ADEA.org website under the AADSAS application section.

Good luck with that.

DrTacoElf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
www.garyseeba.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ItsGavinC said:
What grade is marked on your undergraduate transcript for those AP credits? For example, do you just get a pass but no letter grade? I think that if that is the case, then you actually need to take the courses.

Your best bet is to probably contact a couple of schools and see what they say, or possibly research it on the ADEA.org website under the AADSAS application section.

Good luck with that.

I had no trouble with this issue, but your best bet is to call each school you are applying to.

jjw1983

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
I don't know about bio. The university I attended gave me credit for both the lecture and lab of AP physics(mechanics). I had to take the electricity and mechanism part over agin.
Also, I think most schools give you p/F for AP classes.

angeeeeee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
Seattle
Status
Dental Student
Hoffa24 said:
I had AP credit for Bio, Physics, and G-Chem. All schools (other than Colorado) accepted it no questions asked.
No questions asked for AP Bio, Calc, or Chem credits...2 quarters worth

Jaws

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Status
It really depends on the school....I remember one school that I applied to didn't accept AP (I honestly can't remember which one that was), but for all the rest it wasn't a problem. I do know that several schools, particularly Baylor, are sticklers for the English requirement, but most will accpet AP or ACT/SAT exepmtion if that applies to you.

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The only questions I recieved about my AP gen chem (full year's worth) were from my pre-health advisor; she advised me to take gchem over again, because "it wouldn't look good to the d-schools". I'm glad I ignored her, however, and saved myself a year of chem, and possibly a year of admissions; the d-schools to which I applied gave no indication they even saw it was an AP. And on my college transcript it's marked as "no grades available to report."