Do Dental schools prefer a certain type of volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

h

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you properly justify why it assists you in your pursuit of dentistry?

Hell, I had an interviewer ask me why I volunteered in a hospital. Regardless of the fact that I said I wanted to help give back to humans and try to help others in their time of need (alongside other things), she literally responded with:

"Hospitals have nothing to do with dentistry. You wasted your time when you could've been volunteering in a dental clinic"

Mind you I have 3000+ hours of paid dental assisting at the moment.

I was pretty confused on her response.

By the way I said "humans" up top because unlike a shelter, these are actual human beings, the same type that I will be involved with when I am in school/practice.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it would still be useful. You'll be a more interesting applicant if you have diverse experiences. If you enjoy your time at the animal shelter, it could be a great thing to highlight skills you've developed there or something to discuss during your interview as something unrelated to dentistry.

I wouldn't make the animal shelter your only source of volunteering though. If you could find another volunteer position that does involve working with people in some capacity, that would be good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
imo having hospital volunteering is great, because it shows that you've explored many avenues in healthcare. There is no chance that you considered dentistry, and dentistry alone. I'd be more suspicious of your motive if you only had dentistry related volunteering. Why not medicine? why not PT? why not a surgeon? you need to have broad exposure to make an informed decision.

Hell, I had an interviewer ask me why I volunteered in a hospital. Regardless of the fact that I said I wanted to help give back to humans and try to help others in their time of need (alongside other things), she literally responded with:

"Hospitals have nothing to do with dentistry. You wasted your time when you could've been volunteering in a dental clinic"

By the way I said "humans" up top because unlike a shelter, these are actual human beings, the same type that I will be involved with when I am in school/practice.

Every hospital based reaidency and OS in the country would love to smack her upside down and silly. Where does she think residency gets done? Her little backyard?

That's unnecessarily harsh and a bit unprofessional for an interview imo.

In my opinion, you can make the most out of any volunteer experience and develop the necessary skills to become a great dentist. For example, if you are working at an animal shelter, you will learn how to work with different people similar to what you would do in a dental office. It is essential to establish a great relationship with your workers, and mostly it comes down to if you can work well with others.

Mind you I have 3000+ hours of paid dental assisting at the moment. I was pretty confused on her response.
That adcom certainly was adept at yanking chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.