Do different schools have different residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theyuta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you able to apply to all the residencies at osteo school A that you can apply to at osteo school B? I know their clinical rotations would be different, but does that actually affect the residency programs you can apply to?

Also, my mom is warning against sending a letter to waitlisted school B(LECOM-Bradenton) because medical school A(TOURO-CA) might rescind their acceptance when they receive word of that. I said she should stop listening to her gossip friends, but just for reassurance, has anyone ever heard of that?
And she also said I should go to TOURO even though LECOM is in the same state as I am and much cheaper because according to her friend, who doesn't know much about osteopathy, of a friend of some medical director somewhere, TOURO is in California, and therefore more prestigious and I need every edge I can get because MD applicants will be picked over DO applicants with the same numbers and qualifications. I doubt there's any truth to that but I wanted to hear from you guys as I see that where you go is not that important according to this: http://www.studentdoctor.net/2011/02/getting-into-residency-most-important-factors/
And if you have more sources, please point me to them. Seems like this is too broad/hidden a topic to nail with searching keywords on google.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you able to apply to all the residencies at osteo school A that you can apply to at osteo school B? I know their clinical rotations would be different, but does that actually affect the residency programs you can apply to?

Also, my mom is warning against sending a letter to waitlisted school B because medical school A might rescind their acceptance when they receive word of that. I said she should stop listening to her gossip friends, but just for reassurance, has anyone ever heard of that?
Yes, you are able to apply to the same residencies. The medical school you attend has no direct bearing on that.

No, other than the fact that you may get to know a program better, and they may get to know you better during what's called an audition rotation.

Applying to residency is sort of like applying for a job. You rank which programs you like, and they in turn rank you against other applicants. This is what is referred to as the match. A perfect match would be if you had a program at the top of your list and that same program had you at the top of its list. It's sort of like speed dating if the speed daters were able to rank each other for the best possible match.

I wouldn't worry about sending a letter. Letters of intent are basically useless, so unless it's a letter of update (i.e. informing the school of more volunteer hours, etc.) then I wouldn't bother. If you still want to send a letter, go ahead. Don't worry.

Thank you for your input!

Also, I did not expect such a quick reply, but I'm also pasting my edit below. Your individual word on this would be greatly appreciated(with a grain of salt as n = 1 for now).

"And she also said I should go to TOURO even though LECOM is in the same state as I am and much cheaper because according to her friend, who doesn't know much about osteopathy, of a friend of some medical director somewhere, TOURO is in California, and therefore more prestigious and I need every edge I can get because MD applicants will be picked over DO applicants with the same numbers and qualifications. I doubt there's any truth to that but I wanted to hear from you guys as I see that where you go is not that important according to this:http://www.studentdoctor.net/2011/02/getting-into-residency-most-important-factors/
And if you have more sources, please point me to them. Seems like this is too broad/hidden a topic to nail by searching keywords on google."

Members don't see this ad :)
Picking Touro over LECOM won't give you an edge unless you want to end up in California or something. That said, I believe LECOM has rotations set up in San Diego. You should pick the school that you feel suits you best. At the same time, you also want to factor in costs.

Where you attend school isn't as important is doing well on the boards and impressing programs during rotations.

I don't think letters of intent are useless. Is a letter of intent better than no letter of intent? In my opinion yes

I don't think letters of intent are useless. Is a letter of intent better than no letter of intent? In my opinion yes
Depends on the school. Most don't care. Some do not want LOIs at all and by sending one you do yourself a disservice.

Depends on the school. Most don't care. Some do not want LOIs at all and by sending one you do yourself a disservice.
As you said the decision to send an LOI is situational and subjective at best :)

Several adcoms have basically said they go directly into the trash- important updates are great, LOIs and useless updates are eyeroll inducing.

Yes. Unless a med school has its own hospital, residency programs view medical schools as "feeders" in the same way that med schools have thier own feeder UG schools.

There is no way in holy hell that school X will know that you sent a letter to school Y. LOIs aren't sent via a clearinghouse. And STOP listening to your mom, unless it's about your health or your posture.

Also, my mom is warning against sending a letter to waitlisted school B(LECOM-Bradenton) because medical school A(TOURO-CA) might rescind their acceptance when they receive word of that. I said she should stop listening to her gossip friends, but just for reassurance, has anyone ever heard of that?

Do I need to come over there and dope-smack your mom and her friend in the head? While I have some good friends on the TUCOM faculty, just because it's in CA does NOT make it prestigous. Loma Linda is in the same state and they're not on a par with, say, NYU or Baylor.

Check out the match lists for each school, and you can see how "prestigious" they can be. My students match very nicely, thank you. While I personally take issue with LECOM's mandatory dress and class attendance policies, you'll be fine there (although PCOM is also in your backyard!).

And she also said I should go to TOURO even though LECOM is in the same state as I am and much cheaper because according to her friend, who doesn't know much about osteopathy, of a friend of some medical director somewhere, TOURO is in California, and therefore more prestigious and I need every edge I can get because MD applicants will be picked over DO applicants with the same numbers and qualifications. I doubt there's any truth to that but I wanted to hear from you guys as I see that where you go is not that important according to this: http://www.studentdoctor.net/2011/02/getting-into-residency-most-important-factors/

And if you have more sources, please point me to them. Seems like this is too broad/hidden a topic to nail with searching keywords on google.[/QUOTE]