Do DOs get less business than MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that many DOs actually do get into competitive fields, such as surgery, anesthesia, ER, derm and IM subspecialties (cardiology, etc). In terms of private practice, when one sees a doctor with a DO rather than an MD, do you think some may object to see this doctor? How many would do this? Would it be enough so where the DO doesnt have as many patients as the MD across the street, and therefore doesnt make nearly as much (even if they are in the same specialty). I also know DOs and MDs usually work in the same practice, so lets assume Clinic A is all DOs and Clinic B across the street is all MDs. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

DO vs. MD, Round 1. fight!

This thread will self-destruct in 4.7 posts...

Members don't see this ad :)
theunremarkable said:
No, they dont. It's all the same.

DO's make less money than the guy that squirts the sour cream on crunch wrap supremes at Taco Bell. If your headed for DO you might want to consider food service first.

firesuit.jpg

Check.

I think as long as you say you are a doctor and is qualified to do provide medical care, people aren't going to favor you over another person because of a degree. I say this because I vaguely remember way way back in the past, I remember someone mentioning their doctor had DO on their tag or something, but everyone just figured they had a 'special' medical degree. No one questioned the doctor's medical qualifications---someone reasoned the government would not allow someone to practice medicine if they weren't qualified so the guy must be the medical equivalent of a doctor.

That's just what I think people are going to think. And of course, your bedside manners will be the ultimate determinant in your profitability.

Chris127 said:
I understand that many DOs actually do get into competitive fields, such as surgery, anesthesia, ER, derm and IM subspecialties (cardiology, etc). In terms of private practice, when one sees a doctor with a DO rather than an MD, do you think some may object to see this doctor? How many would do this? Would it be enough so where the DO doesnt have as many patients as the MD across the street, and therefore doesnt make nearly as much (even if they are in the same specialty). I also know DOs and MDs usually work in the same practice, so lets assume Clinic A is all DOs and Clinic B across the street is all MDs. Thoughts?

I think there exists enough demand for a physician's services that both would earn the same. Even if a preference differential did exist between DOs and MDs in the same specialty with similar experience (and I don't think one does exist based on degree alone), each physician would still fill their schedule (thus earn the same) because I think demand is greater than supply. So if a preference did exist, the only thing that would happen is the MD would have a four-month wait for an appointment (for argument's sake) compared to the DO's two-month wait.

Chris127 said:

Most people don't even know if they primary care physician is a DO or an MD anyway. It's a non-issue.

In states with lots of DO's (like Michigan), it's not uncommon to hear people say that they prefere a DO over an MD. I'm sure the reverse is true as well.

cfdavid said:
In states with lots of DO's (like Michigan), it's not uncommon to hear people say that they prefere a DO over an MD. I'm sure the reverse is true as well.

I've heard this from patients in Oklahoma many times, as well.

OSUdoc08 said:
I've heard this from patients in Oklahoma many times, as well.

In fairness, it's probably a perception/misperception of what each of the letters actually represent. In most instances the doctor that comes off down to earth, reassuring, and competent will win the respect of their patients, and will summarily be prefered over others.

OSUdoc08 said:
Most people don't even know if they primary care physician is a DO or an MD anyway. It's a non-issue.

Patient, not feeling well, walks into Maine Street Primary Care associates which consists of a mix of DOs and MDs. "Would you like to see Dr. Jones?" Ok.

Even if the person sees the degree on the wall, they still don't understand or care about the difference.