Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mashmetoo, Apr 28, 2012.
AACOMAS opens at noon on May 3rd for the 2012-2013 application cycle!
If anyone would like advice from a Canadian on applying to DO schools, feel free to message me.
Although I was accepted at 6 DO schools and will not be attending, I still strongly feel that osteopathic medicine is a great option that should not be dismissed.
I will be applying at MSUCOM for next year. Although i've tried to talk with my parents regarding the whole DO vs. MD issue, and the rights to practice in Canada, they're still skeptical on me attending. I personally am considering practicing in the US for simplicity and because I had some intentions of moving to the US anyways. The only thing that worries me is the amount of debt i'll be in when i'm done as compared to in Canada.
Just curious where you're going for med school?
Not sure yet. Either the University of Alberta or University of Calgary
I feel you on the whole debt situation. Its a huge factor considering the time and money spent. What are we looking at for 4 yrs? around 250k more or less?
Depends on where you go (obviously going to Touro-NYC is going to cost you a lot more than Kansas City) but i'm guessing it'll be around $280,000 for 4 years undergrad. My mom is really against me going to the US, partly because she doesn't want me to be too far from her, and partly because she's afraid i'll be in debt forever.
While I probably would stay in Canada if I had the opportunity, the fact is that trying to get even an interview here is complete luck. A good friend of mine with a cGPA of 3.9 and 7 years of absurd volunteering & sports didn't even get an interview at any school he applied to in Canada. There's plenty of qualified hard-working Canadians who are perfect for med school but never get in, and I think going the US route, in particular the DO route is a good alternative. Besides you'll be able to pay off your debt working in the US much faster than in Canada.
If you don't mind me asking what exactly does your position entail as the Western U representative to the Canadian Osteopathic Medical Student Association? Is Western currently the only Canadian school that is a part of the COMSA?
which DO schools were you accepted at? Did they all have similar admission requirements? Also, how many med schools did you apply to in total. Thanks!!
Western U is a DO school in California. I represent the Canadian DO students in this school, and I am the eyes and ears for the latest information coming from COMSA/COA to be shared with the Canadians at my school.
I'm also the self professed ambassador for the DO profession to Canadian pre-meds/meds.
Sweet! thanks for the reply
Personally i like to factor in the fact that i want to pursue something that i will like as a career for rest of my life when trying to balance the whole time and debt equation... although money ISS a bigg factor. So i am kinda torn in between as well.
As far as getting accepted in Canada goes, i think a lot of it has to do with what Med schools are actually looking for and not just what qualities one possess. And how well you are able to sell yourself.
I wouldn't worry about loan repayment too much. I did dental school in the US as well, and it was at a time when the Canadian Dollar was very weak. I'm finished paying those loans. Time to start again!
I opted for the DO route this time because I have a really great mentor who is a DO, so I didn't even apply to Canadian MD programs, and for what I'm interested in I just feel DO is the better approach.
Hey, I was accepted at MSU-COM, CCOM, AZCOM, Nova, Western, and KCUMB. I think most of them have pretty similar admissions requirements but don't exactly remember the specifics so you'll have to take a look at each of the admissions webpages.
I applied to a few more... KCOM, Touro-NY, and UNECOM. I was rejected pre-interview at UNECOM.
I'm planning on writing my MCAT August 3rd...is this too late for this years cycle?
You would be too late for MSU but not in bad shape for the rest. MSU filled up in October for the Canadians.
damn. MSU is my first choice...Should I reschedule the date or hope the admissions office is able to make an exception? I would receive my score by sept 3rd and I am planning to have all my applications(primary & as much of the secondary as possible) ready for submission on the earliest day possible
I have an appointment with the admission office on May 29th. Perhaps I can let them know my situation and hope for the best...
I think you might still be ok for MSU. I submitted my MSU secondary in November, was initially put on wait list but was then offered a spot a few weeks later.
I should get my score back around Sept 3rd, so if I started working my secondary application early and have it ready for submission, I think it might not be TOO late. Also,do you mind if I ask what your stats were? (gpa, MCAT and EC)
PS I emailed the admissions office at MSU, and this is what they replied back "...it is a later date, and your application may be placed on hold until your scores are received. We strongly advise everyone to apply and test early."
I sent you a PM
hey just wondering how much should i put in description for jobs and ec. just list basic responsibilities?? any pointers are appreciated
I'd agree with this because initially the Canadian allotment filled up by early october; however, this year there was some turnover. MCAT is not given that much importance with MSU and scoring around the mean should be ok with a solid gpa and ECs.
Y'all have no idea how happy it makes me to see the increase in amount of Canadians applying DO!
Canadians, where you all applying? What are your stats? Anyone afraid of the ~ 300k in undergraduate and medical school debt and HOW are you guys getting all the money?
I would encourage you guys to apply to:
I am a Canadian, currently doing my undergrad in the US (California), im graduating this June, and taking mcat June 21st.
My cgpa is around a 3.3 and science gpa is ~3.2. Only about 120 volunteer hours. 2 years lab research. And 2 years being involved in an annual pre med/pre-health conference. Im anticipating getting around a 30 on the MCAT based on my practice scores so far.
I had a couple of questions:
For the behavioral sciences requirement if i don't have all the courses when i apply is it ok if i take them at a junior college in the year before i start? Will they just not look at you if you don't have them done in advance?
Also, for the LOR i know a MD really well and he will write me a really good letter, but i also know 2 DOs just not that well. Would it be better to have a strong lor from a MD or a weaker one from a DO?
The MD is very knowledge about DO programs as well bc his assistant director and one colleague are DO.
Any input would be appreciated. Also any comments on how competitive my application would be are welcome.
Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk
You don't need to have the pre-reqs done now. They have to be done before you start med school classes, so taking them after you apply is fine.
Most DO schools require or at least strongly recommend getting a reference letter from a DO. I am in the same position as you. I have an MD reference letter that is strong and a DO reference letter that is meh. Your best bet is to submit both. This way they see you have the DO reference and you can apply to more schools, and they also see the solid MD reference.
I'm super scared of all the debt. Im pretty broke and Canadian line of credit for medical school requires you pay monthly interest payments. Luckily my sister is us citizen and recently offered to cosign me for a student loan if i needed one. Before that i was super worried.
Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk
Thanks for the input! I will talk to the DOs and ask if they can write me a letter, and also have the md write me one.
Another question, for the two faculty LOR s can one be a prof and the other be the PI for my lab? I was getting 2 units course credit every quarter for research, so not sure if that counts or if i had to have an actual lecture class person write that one.
Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk
Good luck guys
I posted this in the general pre-DO forum but figured I would move my question here.
Does anyone know if when it comes to doing residency (all things being equal in terms of LORs and scores), american DOs would be preferred over canadian DOs due to the fact that we need visas in order to stay? I heard some program directors just don't wanna deal with that when they have other applicants to choose from.
I don't know if they give preference but some (I think most AOA programs!) don't sponsor visas for foreigners. Therefore, you can't apply to those programs.
what man, I really should get all this visa stuff figured out before applying so I know what i'm getting myself into in the long run... lol (feel free to explain anyone )
As a canadian DO graduate you must match an allopathic residency to come back to Canada. You can search this topic from last year.
Does this mean as Canadian DOs, we will be disadvantaged when it comes for CARMS matching (compared to CMG and US MD graduates because we have a DO degree? and also be disadvantaged for the US for allopathic and DO residencies compared to MD and DO graduates who hold green card/us citizens due to needing visas?
I think you would be a bit disadvantaged for ACGME, but most hospitals do sponsor a J1 visa, so its not too bad. As for CARMS, at least in ontario we are in the first iteration, so we compete with Canadian and US MD graduates.
What if Im applying to DO schools but I don't have any LORs from a DO doctor, the only ones I have atm are an MD (my rsearch prof), a pharmacist at whose pharmacy i worked for a year and another one from my science prof. Do you think that would be good?
You have to call the schools and ask. I couldn't get a reference from a pre-med committee and some schools just let me substitute it with another reference. It depends on the school just give them a call.
In the instructions manual it says that "If the transcript from the Canadian university you attended shows grade conversion to a 4.0 grading scale and credit conversion to the semester system, and is written in English, then the transcript is required. If the transcript does not list grade and/or credit conversion and/or is not written in English, please refer to the instructions for Other Foreign Transcripts below."
What Cdn university actually does all this?! Does everyone just send in their transcript anyways without going through the procedure listed below that for "other foreign transcripts" or do you actually pay the money to get your transcript re-evaluated by those outside companies?
I paid to have WES evaluate my transcript. Worked out for me - my GPA shot up like a mother.
Why'd you choose WES over Josef Silney & Educational Credential Evaluators? The latter two seem to be slightly cheaper.
I just had my school send in my transcript... Am I screwed if I didnt have it evaluated by WES?
As far as I know DO schools require that international applicants (including Canadians) have their transcripts evaluated. Are you screwed? Probably not. I looked this topic up a lot last year and many Canadians sent it in without an evaluation and have been verified and accepted. But, maybe they got lucky.
That's odd. I'm going to call AACOMAS tomorrow and see what's good. I sent my transcripts at the start of June when winter grades became official at my school, but AACOMAS has not received them yet. I hope this doesn't delay the process any further.
Any Canadians out there that did not used WES and received admission into DO schools?
I didn't use WES or any evaluation services, and still got multiple interview offers.
Same here. No evaluation service. Didn't seem to affect admission
What undergrad universities in Canada do you guy go to, if you don't mind me asking?