DO for Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:hungover:

when you're rejecting your acceptance at azcom, can you tell the admissions committee that ubcvan is the perfect candidate to take my place? Thanks :hungover:

Members don't see this ad.

Dunno if this has been noted before: Western U's Lebanon campus won't start to accept International Students until the class of 2013. - P14 of the CIB, along with the list of schools that will apparently take international students.

Here are schools that will accept Canadians:
-KirksvilleCOM?-----apply
-ACOM of Midwestern U---apply
-CCOM of Midwestern U--- i don't think any1 of us got interviews there
-DMU------ridiculous tuition requirement, but an excellent school
-KansasCUMB----apply
-NSU ---apply
-PCOM (Philadelphia and Georgia Campus)----no invites from these schools
-TuoroCOM (New York only)----apply
-UNECOM----apply
-Edward VirginiaCOM-----no invites this year...
-Western UHS COM.....apply to both pomona and lebanon campuses
-MichiganCOM---apply
-West Virginia School of OM (may take Canadians, unconfirmed)----don't take Canadians as noted on my rejection mail
-*NEW* William Carey U COM-----no invites for usCanadians this year

WES EVALS REQUIRED (Canadian Universities without 4.0 conversion)
NSU?----my university does not use 4.0 system, but use the standard OMSAS letter grade system. I didn't require WES to get accepted
PCOM?----hmm will you apply? This school seems unfriendly to us Canadians.... didn't require WES
Western?----again I didnt need it
or once and for all: Canadians do not need to submit evals?!-----I think one of us did use it but that was because of change in grading scheme at U of Alberta... don't recall who it was :(

Members don't see this ad :)
when you're rejecting your acceptance at AZCOM, can you tell the admissions committee that UBCvan is the perfect candidate to take my place? Thanks :D

I'll do my best! Have you written a LOI yet? I think it's worth a try, to all the schools you're waitlisted. I have faith you'll get in this round. :)

It is also noteworthy that the proof of funds can be under a parent's name as long as your mom or dad writes a letter to accompany it, stating that they own your ass for four years!! Lol jk. The letter should state that they are responsible for all your expenses, including tuition.
GTP's Response:

Hey man. Ed Schabes is in charge of the I 20. You will find him in the Touro directory. I have been on his tale for many months. He advised me that all he needs to release the I 20 is the cost of living for the first year, which was officially released by Touro last month and estimated at 72k.

Good luck. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

I PM'ed GTP regarding Touro and their financial regulations for international student and the above was his response. I thought I will post it as it will be helpful for anybody else who have the same question.

Thanks GTP. I really appreciate it and I hope you don't mind me posting the message here.

I'll do my best! Have you written a LOI yet? I think it's worth a try, to all the schools you're waitlisted. I have faith you'll get in this round. :)

yes I have written LOI. Thanks.

Hi everyone,
I just have a question regarding provincial student loan. I'm from Alberta. Anyone know how much PROVINCIAL/FEDERAL loans I can borrow if I live in Alberta?

Thanks

Hello all, it is great to see fellow canadians doing so well with many successful applications!

I am new to this thread, and hoping to apply for DO schools for 2012 Fall entrance. I was wondering if some of you could help me answer my questions.

I am from UBC where they use % rather than GPA and credits instead of semester hours and this is where my confusion begins. I am looking at Western's prerequisite (since it is my first choice) and they require Bio/Physics/Inorg/org (8 semester hours each) and english/behavioral science (6 semester hours each). From my own research, 6 semester hours seem to correspond to one full year course (without lab), so 3 semester hours would be equal to a course that's a term-long (3 credits in UBC in general). Is this a safe assumption? The problem with me is that for physics, I have done two terms of physics (101 and 102 for those who went to UBC), both with lab components, and UBC gives 3 credits for each (6 credits total). Would this translate into 6 semester hours, or will AACOMAS take the fact that they also have labs into consideration and give me 8 hours? Or do I have to explain this somewhere in my AACOMAS application? I would hate to go back and do more physics as physics 101 and 102 seemed to meet physics prerequisite of many other schools. Has anyone gone through this?

Lastly, I was wondering if Touro NY is good at answering questions via email. I sent them an email a couple of days ago regarding reference letters yet I haven't got any replies back...

I am sorry that my question is quite long, but any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello all, it is great to see fellow canadians doing so well with many successful applications!

I am new to this thread, and hoping to apply for DO schools for 2012 Fall entrance. I was wondering if some of you could help me answer my questions.

I am from UBC where they use % rather than GPA and credits instead of semester hours and this is where my confusion begins. I am looking at Western's prerequisite (since it is my first choice) and they require Bio/Physics/Inorg/org (8 semester hours each) and english/behavioral science (6 semester hours each). From my own research, 6 semester hours seem to correspond to one full year course (without lab), so 3 semester hours would be equal to a course that's a term-long (3 credits in UBC in general). Is this a safe assumption? The problem with me is that for physics, I have done two terms of physics (101 and 102 for those who went to UBC), both with lab components, and UBC gives 3 credits for each (6 credits total). Would this translate into 6 semester hours, or will AACOMAS take the fact that they also have labs into consideration and give me 8 hours? Or do I have to explain this somewhere in my AACOMAS application? I would hate to go back and do more physics as physics 101 and 102 seemed to meet physics prerequisite of many other schools. Has anyone gone through this?

Lastly, I was wondering if Touro NY is good at answering questions via email. I sent them an email a couple of days ago regarding reference letters yet I haven't got any replies back...

I am sorry that my question is quite long, but any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey, I went to UBC so I can answer your questions. First off, as a UBC student I needed to get my transcripts converted (some people say you dont but their grading was different). The conversion is a mere cash grab as the GPA you would calculate is exactly the one they come up with.

As for Western, they contacted me in the fall regarding first year physics. This was the main problem I had. I had to find a link describing how class credits work (remember in SSC how is goes [3,0,0]?) I had to prove what the numbers meant. For physics 101 and 102 its [3,0,3] which means 3 hours lecture, 3 hours lab per week. After I sent her these links, the physics stuff was cleared up. She claimed I had to contact the AACOMAS but I basically said **** that im not inconveniencing myself that much (which happens a lot in the app cycle for Canadians) and never contacted them. So clearly what I sent her was good enough that they were being lazy on their end as well and never followed up about AACOMAS

Touro-NY is horrible at responding to emails. I had nothing but trouble contacting them even after I had been accepted. Expect at least a week or two delay in response.

oh UBCVan

After seeing your signature, I got inspired to fix mine :p

There is alot going on at Touro right now so emails are probably backed up. We just recently got accredited, bought NYMC and losing our very efficient admissions officer. I suggest you phone instead. Good luck

Thanks!

There is alot going on at Touro right now so emails are probably backed up. We just recently got accredited, bought NYMC and losing our very efficient admissions officer. I suggest you phone instead. Good luck

we're losing Obed?

Members don't see this ad :)
UBCVan and dctother:

I finally went and shadowed Dr Church today. What an amazing physician he is. Even when I thought my GP and few MDs that I am in contact most often, his professionalism is just way on the top. I am very lucky to have the opportunity to witness OMM. He's knowledgable about everything. After doing this, I have even stronger reason to become a DO (if I get accepted).

Hopefully we will have more newer DO grads that will find way back to Canada to practice. We will then become the next gen pioneer. Then we need to lobby the government to make the path to licensure easier.

Dr Church mentioned that the MSU dean was the individual that initially lobbied Ontario government to open DO school but it did not work out. Now, this dean took these seriously and implemented an increase in Cdn intake there.

ALL his patients mentioned that he is a great doctor. Everyone I asked today gave thumbs up.

Thank you all for answering! I really appreciate your input!

drctother: I am sorry drctother but where could you find stuff about [3,0,0] and [3,0,3] form SSC? It has been a while since I graduated from UBC and I don't seem to be able to find the link you were talking about (I am not even sure I am look at the right page). Do you mind enlightening me a bit more on this? Thanks!!

Thank you all for answering! I really appreciate your input!

drctother: I am sorry drctother but where could you find stuff about [3,0,0] and [3,0,3] form SSC? It has been a while since I graduated from UBC and I don't seem to be able to find the link you were talking about (I am not even sure I am look at the right page). Do you mind enlightening me a bit more on this? Thanks!!

Hey, to be honest I dont remember where I found it. I think I went to the UBC site and typed in things like "credit explanation" etc into the UBC search. Sorry wish I could be more of a help but I only found it the one time, and copied and pasted it into an email with the link

Anyone know where I can get another box of faith?

Cali DMV rules still the same - you have to retest and everything! (went through all of that, was NOT fun). How do you get a social security number? I asked the international student coordinator at Western and she said only those who are going to work can get the social security card... basically, since I'm a student, I can't get one.. which is a total bitch because you can't do a lot of banking related stuff without a social security number.

So, you can't exchange a Canadian driver license for a US one? Is that rule for all over the US or just California? I have a G2 Ontario license, and I don't want to do the road test again.

Ah bump. This thread is dying.

Well, I re submitted AAOCOMAS - included all the Canadian Friendly DO schools, included MSU this time. Hoping that submitting early this time will help, since my app wasn't technically done until March last year. Going to work near the Detroit Border, unless something miraculous happens with the alternate lists this year.

Have you guys considered becoming members of the Canadian osteopathic Association? Membership is 10 dollars, and as members, you get voting rights to steer the COA into certain lobbying directions - e.g., pool the resources to get more provinces to allow Canadian DO residency matching, or to lobby Canada to accept AOA residencies, or better yet, demand to know WHY USDOs have to write the MCCEE when USMDs don't, especially since USDOs are considered to be equivalent to USMDs.

I'm assuming that the vast majority of you guys wants to come back to Canada eventually, so having a say in these matters will certainly help.

Have you guys considered becoming members of the Canadian osteopathic Association? Membership is 10 dollars, and as members, you get voting rights to steer the COA into certain lobbying directions - e.g., pool the resources to get more provinces to allow Canadian DO residency matching, or to lobby Canada to accept AOA residencies, or better yet, demand to know WHY USDOs have to write the MCCEE when USMDs don't, especially since USDOs are considered to be equivalent to USMDs.

I'm assuming that the vast majority of you guys wants to come back to Canada eventually, so having a say in these matters will certainly help.

I'm interested! :)

Feel free to send/post information on this involvement. I'll also take some time and go on the COA website to look, but from my recollection it's not very "developped" (like its program). I think it'll be great to pave the way for future bright Canadian DO students.

So, you can't exchange a Canadian driver license for a US one? Is that rule for all over the US or just California? I have a G2 Ontario license, and I don't want to do the road test again.

G2 is a limited license, so you may need to re-test. If you got your G, that might be a different story. My parents had G and when they switched to Michigan, no re-testing was needed (but as mashmetoo indicated, it could be a difference in state laws). If you're close to getting your G, you can call to see if it's worthwhile to swith to a G in ON and then just transfering your license.

Also, California has rules to do a simple written re-test for all people switching licenses, even from another state (which was the case for me). The written test is shorter, like 15 questions, and test basic rules. They are also more lenient (on # of wrong Q allowed) for new residents. All the info you need is on the DMV website, they have PDF files and interactive questions. I heard the alcohol level Q is always on there, also they ask a few distance Q (e.g. how far away from something can you park, and how far from an intersection can you start driving on the bike lane when turning right).

Hope this helps!

Since this is the Canadian thread and all.....

GO CANUCKS GO

We are making history for our country :D

Since this is the Canadian thread and all.....

GO CANUCKS GO

We are making history for our country :D

I dont think other canadian cities are supporting us. I think they dont care.

What do you mean? elaborate?

it' not like the olympics where every single canadian was cheering and supporting the canadian team. It's not Canada's national hockey team. Also on several occasions I've seen Canadians wanting Canucks to lose. I seriously don't know why. I remember I was cheering for montreal last year in the playoffs.

Cities like toronto (maple leafs), montreal (canadiens), calgary (flames), ottawa (senators), ... look at us as their opponent, not another canadian team. I've seen this on many interviews, polls, or whatever.

This to me has no logical sense, cause after all, we're trying to bring the cup back to Canada where it belongs, after 18 years. we should get support from every single canadian. we simply are not.

it' not like the olympics where every single canadian was cheering and supporting the canadian team. It's not Canada's national hockey team. Also on several occasions I've seen Canadians wanting Canucks to lose. I seriously don't know why. I remember I was cheering for montreal last year in the playoffs.

Cities like toronto (maple leafs), montreal (canadiens), calgary (flames), ottawa (senators), ... look at us as their opponent, not another canadian team. I've seen this on many interviews, polls, or whatever.

This to me has no logical sense, cause after all, we're trying to bring the cup back to Canada where it belongs, after 18 years. we should get support from every single canadian. we simply are not.

Well than.... F the haters lol

I think you might be surprised. Most people I speak with favour the Canucks (I live in Ottawa). Obviously, we root for our own teams first, but once they are out many Canadians root for the remaining Canadian team.

I dont think other canadian cities are supporting us. I think they dont care.

I am supporting the Canucks by default, not necessarily because they are Canadian. I am a Leafs fan and the Bruins are a division rival so there is no way I want them to win.

Ya we were all pretty pumped for the Canucks here in Calgary.....until tonight....wtf? But ya once Flames are out, anything Canada is still exciting!

Ya we were all pretty pumped for the Canucks here in Calgary.....until tonight....wtf? But ya once Flames are out, anything Canada is still exciting!

I second, triple and fourth that while speaking on behalf of my GTA folks :). UBC fret not :p

I will be most likely withdrawing from my seat at WesternU in favour of University of Alberta. I hope it goes to you UBC :)

I second, triple and fourth that while speaking on behalf of my GTA folks :). UBC fret not :p

I will be most likely withdrawing from my seat at WesternU in favour of University of Alberta. I hope it goes to you UBC :)

holly cow, you got in to Uof A?? Nice, you got into every school except Touro. :D what happened there? congratz on U of A.

8-1 loss...:laugh: it was actually hilarious. We were in fact celebrating in downtown after the loss. That's the spirit. Now we can finish them off at home in 5. :cool:

8-1 loss...:laugh: it was actually hilarious. We were in fact celebrating in downtown after the loss. That's the spirit. Now we can finish them off at home in 5. :cool:

haha lets hope so, that game was embarrassing. Its ok you get used to it as a canucks fan. My theory is they bottle up all their mistakes and unload in one game. This happened against San Jose and Chicago where we won two than got destroyed (although with chicago it was game 4 and 5)

Glad to see there is more Canadian love than I thought. I guess the media here lies and is trying to create a "West Vs East" type thing

VPP: Congrats on UofA, hope you like it up there. Was it your first choice? I dont think I could survive 4 years in Edmonton (unless the Oilers got a lot better), im more of a sun person:laugh:

Too bad Flames couldnt have played Canucks somewhere in the playoffs. To date, its the second most exciting series as a Canucks fan other than Chicago. Such a good strong fun rivalry between Calgary and Vancouver

Thank you drc and UBC

holly cow, you got in to Uof A?? Nice, you got into every school except Touro. :D what happened there? congratz on U of A.

I don't know what happened there... may be I came of too brash... no idea.

@drc: any where in Canada was my first choice. I don't mind the snow and cold as long as I can study in Canada.

there r two threads, the 2011 DO Canadian thread, and this one.. I keep getting confused where to post, as both of these r active.. lol.

Umm, anywayz guys, so I got slightly delayed in submitting my AACOMAS.. because of my PS.. however, I just finished my personal statement, and was wondering if anyone'd be willing to proofread it and give me some brief feedback..? I want to submit it ASAP, so if someone could read it over in like a day or two, I'd highly appreciate it!

Incase anyone wants some proofreading to their PS, feel free to pm me.. though not much experienced with personal statements, I can edit for grammar and content.. could also give some feedback on the overall style.. =)

cheers!

WOWWWWWWW! UofA! WOW! Congratulations! :thumbup: :D

ARE YOU GUYS READY FOR GAME 6 OF STANLEY CUP FINAL??? :smuggrin:

eventually, the other thread will take over. This is I guess for past cycle.

You may know this- but you can update your PS and application (except grades)after you submit it. AACOMAS will not release the application until they verify the grades through transcript. So you can change your application in mean time. AACOMAS took two weeks to verify my grades last year so I changed quite a bit during that time!

so Don't worry - submit the application and you can still work on your PS.

there r two threads, the 2011 DO Canadian thread, and this one.. I keep getting confused where to post, as both of these r active.. lol.

Umm, anywayz guys, so I got slightly delayed in submitting my AACOMAS.. because of my PS.. however, I just finished my personal statement, and was wondering if anyone'd be willing to proofread it and give me some brief feedback..? I want to submit it ASAP, so if someone could read it over in like a day or two, I'd highly appreciate it!

Incase anyone wants some proofreading to their PS, feel free to pm me.. though not much experienced with personal statements, I can edit for grammar and content.. could also give some feedback on the overall style.. =)

cheers!

eventually, the other thread will take over. This is I guess for past cycle.

You may know this- but you can update your PS and application (except grades)after you submit it. AACOMAS will not release the application until they verify the grades through transcript. So you can change your application in mean time. AACOMAS took two weeks to verify my grades last year so I changed quite a bit during that time!

so Don't worry - submit the application and you can still work on your PS.

oh wow, I didn't know that :O which is why I delayed my app until now :( but oh well, thanks so much for this info! I'll get it submitted ASAP then, and work on the PS meanwhile.. Thanks!