DO for Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It may be true for some universities. You just need to do your level best on these secondaries. For WesternU dispatch it as soon as you get it. If you delay it for a month or so, then you might get a call later. Otherwise Canadians and Americans usually get interviews at the same time.

UBC: how's the waitlist moving at Touro?
I just read UBC you been accepted for next year's class at Touro! Congrats buddy! You really deserve it. Now throw a party for all the SDNer Canadians
:)

Yeah I did get accepted for next year. thanks. They apparently offer a deferred admission to some of the people on the waitlist. I was one of them. In the meantime, I'm number 32 on the WL, I doubt I'll get in this year at Touro. Now I'm waiting to hear from AZCOM or western. they both have been taking students off of the list. I hope I get in this year, cause it's absolutely a waste of time to wait a year.

Members don't see this ad.

I just noticed that MSU requires genetics. I never took specific genetics course before. I don't think I will be doing their secondaries. Is there any other university that require genetics?

I just noticed that MSU requires genetics. I never took specific genetics course before. I don't think I will be doing their secondaries. Is there any other university that require genetics?

You can do Genetics online (ask them before though if online courses are accepted). Still do the secondary: you can always enroll in classes at your local university.

UBC: On the flip side you can work and gather the crazy amount of money you need for these schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am still at university, that's fine. I finished my undergrad a decade ago. Never took genetics. I am not sure if it is actually considered a premed course since only a few schools need it.

If I am still at university, that's fine. I finished my undergrad a decade ago. Never took genetics. I am not sure if it is actually considered a premed course since only a few schools need it.

It is still premed

Does anybody know how they convert UWO grades for AACOMAS, I know that for AMCAS 80+=4.0 or A, 70-79=3.0 or B, etc...what about AACOMAS? I couldn't find this info and wasn't sure, any help would be appreciated.

I had mine evaluated by one of the agencies listed. Its the easiest way to ensure accuracy.

Why are we such good candidates for US medical school? Well I hope I dont offend any Americans by saying this, but our undergraduate education is hands down way better than 75% of American universities. Any of the big Canadian universities provide rigorous science courses, that blow the average American uni out of the water. So when a Canadian comes into a US medical school with any semi-decent GPA, you know they are well prepared. How do I know this? Well for starters, I was friends with many students in undergrad who were one or two years older than me. These people went onto medical school all over the US and Caribbean. ALL of them gave me the same rough response when asked how medical school is going. "Its a lot easier than I expected, but most of my classmates are struggling (American classmates)". Of course, there is no physical proof that Canadians will out perform Americans in medical school, but this is just something I have been told by many Canadians I know personally at several medical schools ranging from Cornell to Yale to Wayne State to SGU.

Hey drctother, I'm not offended or anything, but as a Canadian who attended a US university (and as your future classmate!), I have to call you out on this statement. :) Don't you think it's a little quick to conclude ANYTHING based on just the views of a few friends? I just googled world college rankings and at the first site I visited (The Guardian, a UK newspaper) that compared world rankings:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/16/top-100-universities-times-higher-education

even the very best Canadian school has a dozen US universities that are higher ranked. How exactly did you arrive at a "75%" figure of Canadian educational superiority? lol.... :laugh: Anyways, I'm sure we'll have ample time to compare our undergraduate preparation over the next 4 years and I suspect that everyone will have strengths to contribute from their undergrad.... :thumbup:

I don't want to make this a US vs Canadian thread - but I've been to both. I attended UWO for my Honours BSC and Marquette for my DDS. I was very well prepared for the Basic Science courses in the DDS program. In fact I was 1 of only 2 students to get an A in biochem (DDS) before the curve.

Yeah I did get accepted for next year. thanks. They apparently offer a deferred admission to some of the people on the waitlist. I was one of them. In the meantime, I'm number 32 on the WL, I doubt I'll get in this year at Touro. Now I'm waiting to hear from AZCOM or western. they both have been taking students off of the list. I hope I get in this year, cause it's absolutely a waste of time to wait a year.

Congratz UBC on TouroCOM- you really deserved it!!!I really wish that western or azcom works out for you this year!!

UBC, congrats as well! :)

As for your AZCOM question, from what I know a certificate is not sufficient for them - what I was told was cash (checking or savings) only, no CDs or other funds. I was surprised too and it's a MAJOR hassle but once you get there, call them and negotiate (they may make exceptions for a good student). My parents borrowed money from their retirement to make the sum and then returned it. There's always private loan for a short period of time too. Does any of the Canadian banks have a US branch/bank? Maybe their financial certification could work because it's on US soil.

P.S. Is anyone else having issues posting on SDN? It always freezes for me these days.

Just to add that WCareySOM not accepting Canadians.

Wow, if Midwestern only wants cash then it would be difficult. What about RRSPs and a residence like a house or a condo?

Members don't see this ad :)
You literally have to have the money in US funds in a US account for long enough for the school to take a snapshot of this. (I don't know how that works but it only had to stay for like a day). For me my parents were able to help by getting a line of credit that was big enough to cover the whole thing and then they just re-payed it asap the next day. Honestly if they hadn't been able to help with that and to cosign for me I would have been screwed, I don't think I could have made it work. I've been in school forever and have no assets at all though.

I apologize if I offended you, my intention was just to boost the confidence of other Canadian pre-meds planning to come to the US for medical school. My 75% was a number I pulled out of my ass, I meant the majority. If you look at the admission stats for Canadian medical schools, they are VERY similar to the stats for the top 15 US med schools

This is just my experience and what I have heard directly from people I trust. Im not saying it is a rule or anything. Its just I have definitely heard the same thing over and over from Canadians who have gone to the US for medical school or went to the Caribbean with American students.

A recent experience comes to mind. My friends girlfriend went to UCLA. She came to UBC on exchange for one semester. She was a straight A student at UCLA but failed 3/5 of her courses at UBC (all same type of courses). Because of her experience at UBC, unfortunately she didnt graduate on time. I was blown away by this when she told me because I always thought of UCLA as a very hard school. Obviously this is just one person.

Anyway, Im sure that we are both equally prepared for medical school (you more probably, since you got a head start on Anat:p). I really was not trying to offend anyone, but I have heard the same thing too many times for it to be a coincidence

Hey drctother, I'm not offended or anything, but as a Canadian who attended a US university (and as your future classmate!), I have to call you out on this statement. :) Don't you think it's a little quick to conclude ANYTHING based on just the views of a few friends? I just googled world college rankings and at the first site I visited (The Guardian, a UK newspaper) that compared world rankings:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/16/top-100-universities-times-higher-education

even the very best Canadian school has a dozen US universities that are higher ranked. How exactly did you arrive at a "75%" figure of Canadian educational superiority? lol.... :laugh: Anyways, I'm sure we'll have ample time to compare our undergraduate preparation over the next 4 years and I suspect that everyone will have strengths to contribute from their undergrad.... :thumbup:

UBCVan: Congrats!!! I hope you slide off the Western list into my class! We could use another Canucks fan down here :p

UBCVan: Congrats!!! I hope you slide off the Western list into my class! We could use another Canucks fan down here :p

thanks... I hope so too!! 25 days left to the start of classes!

Absolutely no offense taken dude! It was a perfect setup. I had to say something since we'll be classmates I was hoping you know I meant it in good fun! :D

BTW, as far as anatomy goes, Western's ISAC program has turned out to be really awesome. We dissect down to every single named structure in the body. It's my second time taking Anatomy and the rate and level of detail is beyond anything I could have imagined. What's really cool is we have a team of professors teach the class. One is a proper anatomist (he "runs" the course and does the upper limb/axilla/back, another (for the abdomen) is a general surgeon from USC, so she includes clinical correlates into everything, another is a paleontologist (for the thorax) who adds a really interesting take on developmental stuff, and supposedly we'll even have a podiatrist teach the foot/lower leg. And since the grading is not curved (pass/np/honors), everyone is really helpful. Definitely a really intense workload though...

By the way, for anyone still hoping to get in off the waitlist (cough, UBCvan), I know that a spot opened up in the past couple of days!

I apologize if I offended you, my intention was just to boost the confidence of other Canadian pre-meds planning to come to the US for medical school. My 75% was a number I pulled out of my ass, I meant the majority. If you look at the admission stats for Canadian medical schools, they are VERY similar to the stats for the top 15 US med schools

This is just my experience and what I have heard directly from people I trust. Im not saying it is a rule or anything. Its just I have definitely heard the same thing over and over from Canadians who have gone to the US for medical school or went to the Caribbean with American students.

A recent experience comes to mind. My friends girlfriend went to UCLA. She came to UBC on exchange for one semester. She was a straight A student at UCLA but failed 3/5 of her courses at UBC (all same type of courses). Because of her experience at UBC, unfortunately she didnt graduate on time. I was blown away by this when she told me because I always thought of UCLA as a very hard school. Obviously this is just one person.

Anyway, Im sure that we are both equally prepared for medical school (you more probably, since you got a head start on Anat:p). I really was not trying to offend anyone, but I have heard the same thing too many times for it to be a coincidence

Last edited:
Absolutely no offense taken dude! It was a perfect setup. I had to say something since we'll be classmates I was hoping you know I meant it in good fun! :D

BTW, as far as anatomy goes, Western's ISAC program has turned out to be really awesome. We dissect down to every single named structure in the body. It's my second time taking Anatomy and the rate and level of detail is beyond anything I could have imagined. What's really cool is we have a team of professors teach the class. One is a proper anatomist (he "runs" the course and does the upper limb/axilla/back, another (for the abdomen) is a general surgeon from USC, so she includes clinical correlates into everything, another is a paleontologist (for the thorax) who adds a really interesting take on developmental stuff, and supposedly we'll even have a podiatrist teach the foot/lower leg. And since the grading is not curved (pass/np/honors), everyone is really helpful. Definitely a really intense workload though...

By the way, for anyone still hoping to get in off the waitlist (cough, UBCvan), I know that a spot opened up in the past couple of days!

Cool, you are in the ISAC program? I probably saw you in a crowd of people as they walked to the labs. I was visiting campus with my folks that day couple weeks ago.

umm is living in Canada and having limited to no access to DOs a good enough excuse? I ask because I'm working on the MSUCOM secondary and I'm getting a little worried. I find that I can only check one item (out of 11) on the 'Osteopathic Profession Survey,' the one item being "( ) read about or reviewed website(s) regarding osteopathic medicine." -_-

Should I even bother applying without having had any previous interactions with a DO? I have no shadowing/volunteering experience with a DO; I haven't visited an osteopathic college; I haven't been treated by a DO; and I'm not part of any osteopathic interest group.

I don't know where you live but there are a few DO's in the Toronto area. I went to the COA website and contacted a DO; however, I contacted a DO in the US and ended up getting some shadowing and patient exposure there.

umm is living in Canada and having limited to no access to DOs a good enough excuse? I ask because I'm working on the MSUCOM secondary and I'm getting a little worried. I find that I can only check one item (out of 11) on the 'Osteopathic Profession Survey,' the one item being "( ) read about or reviewed website(s) regarding osteopathic medicine." -_-

Should I even bother applying without having had any previous interactions with a DO? I have no shadowing/volunteering experience with a DO; I haven't visited an osteopathic college; I haven't been treated by a DO; and I'm not part of any osteopathic interest group.

Can anyone respond to this? I'd love to know the answer! :)

Quick Question

UBC doesn't allow us to retake courses for higher grades. How do you guys do it?

@Chinesekid, you have to take it at a different institution.

Can anyone respond to this? I'd love to know the answer! :)
No, its still worth it to apply to MSUCOM

I'm currently a first year at MSUCOM, I didn't have any experience with shadowing a DO physician and I was still accepted. They want Canadians because they want to promote the osteopathic profession in Canada since there's barely any DO's there (and they know that), so they're not really expecting Canadians to have experience with shadowing a DO.

thought TRU OL was a slang or something
then google showed me the way lol

Hi Guys,

I am an international student (non US citizen/permanent resident) currently working in Texas. I did my undergraduate from olemiss and completed all the premed requirements etc. I recently got an admission in one of the medical school here in US. I was wondering how hard is it for someone like me to get a residency after completing 4 years of med school? is preference usually given to US citizens/green card holders? I just dont want to spend so much money and not be able to find a residency.
Also, are there any scholarship options for international students?
Thanks.

Hey guys

Got another question.
Just wrote the mcat today. I have my application all filled and rdy to submit. Should I wait for the score?
Also. Are there any new schools that is accepting Canadians? Other than Campbell and MU?

Cheers in advance!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I thought maybe I could bump this thread (which is a year old) for all the Canadian applicants applying to DO schools:
GPA: 3.91 MCAT: 11/7/11 :(
Applied to: LECOM B/E, WCU, Pikeville
Currently no secondaries handed out as each school's committee is reviewing my file (I was complete mid-Nov.) as an international applicant.

I thought maybe I could bump this thread (which is a year old) for all the Canadian applicants applying to DO schools:
GPA: 3.91 MCAT: 11/7/11 :(
Applied to: LECOM B/E, WCU, Pikeville
Currently no secondaries handed out as each school's committee is reviewing my file (I was complete mid-Nov.) as an international applicant.
Two of your schools do not take international students (Lecom, Pikeville), and WCU says they do but I don't believe any international student has received a secondary from them. You should consider applying to schools that are Canadian friendly (KCUMB, MSU, TouroNY, Western, AZCOM, CCOM, etc.)

Two of your schools do not take international students (Lecom, Pikeville), and WCU says they do but I don't believe any international student has received a secondary from them. You should consider applying to schools that are Canadian friendly (KCUMB, MSU, TouroNY, Western, AZCOM, CCOM, etc.)
Lecom's admin. committee is reviewing my app before sending secondaries (I think they should be given in January), but I don't know about the rest. From contacting all schools (via email and phone) they all accept international students, but not regularly (Ie. you have to stand out). I know a Canadian who received an interview invite (last cycle) for LECOM-E in January when he was complete all the way back from September. I believe this is the case bc schools want to gauge if the international applicant is well above the normal American applicant being interview/accepted, but I could be wrong...