DO friendly.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aycshen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there any DO friendly MD surgery residency programs in California? Any comments would help :)

Members don't see this ad.

aycshen said:
Hi,
Is there any DO friendly MD surgery residency programs in California? Any comments would help :)

No. Everything is more competitive in CA due to location, and quality of programs. However, UCSD, Loma Linda, and UC Davis(neurosurgery) have DO surgery residents. Kern County medical center may have a few as well. So, it is possible but you likely will need to be top notch(top grades/boards, significant research experience, great LORs, audtition rotations). Arrowhead Regional Medical Center does have DO ortho, gs, and neurosurgery residencies.

Does anyone know if Loma Linda is DO-friendly, especially in the EM program? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
joaquin13 said:
Does anyone know if Loma Linda is DO-friendly, especially in the EM program? Thank you.

Loma Linda has been a historically DO-friendly hospital. They took 1 person for IM and another for peds last year at NYCOM. However, I am not sure about the EM program at LL.

joaquin13 said:
They have taken COMP grads into their Psychiatry, IM, FP, and Peds programs. You can also look into Riverside General and Arrowhead hospital's DO surger residency programs.

joaquin13 said:

after seeing LL on venom ER so much it looks like an interesting area to do EM in.

sophiejane said:
I'd imagine AOA surgery residencies in CA are pretty DO-friendly...or is that out of the question?

I'd imagine...being that they would be only for DO's.

just call me Master of the Obvious, thank you! ;)

...I just thought we should be reminded that we do have options other than AMA residencies, especially in the more competitive fields...

Robz said:
after seeing LL on venom ER so much it looks like an interesting area to do EM in.

What is venom ER? Sorry not sure what you mean!

sophiejane said:
just call me Master of the Obvious, thank you! ;)

...I just thought we should be reminded that we do have options other than AMA residencies, especially in the more competitive fields...

Yeah....but there are no AOA residencies for EM in the Western US! Unfortunately that forces us to look elsewhere for Emergency Medicine.

joaquin13 said:

AZCOM had 2 people match at Loma Linda this year. One for PMR and one for IM.

Doesn't answer anything about the ER program specifically, but Loma Linda definitely takes DOs.

joaquin13 said:
What is venom ER? Sorry not sure what you mean!

Venom ER is on Animal Planet on Tuesday nights. It follows the ER staff, manily Dr. Sean Bush as they treat venomous bites on people. I thought since it was on animal planet it would be geared towards animals verus medicine but there is a lot of ER time devoted there. Its really interesting.