do gpa and mcat score requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a 3.5 science and bcpm, what's the minimum mcat score do you think i'll need to have a shot at most do. schools?

Members don't see this ad.

You should browse the other 500 posts that have asked that!!

docmd2010 said:
i have a 3.5 science and bcpm, what's the minimum mcat score do you think i'll need to have a shot at most do. schools?

You should be fairly safe with a 28, though a 30 will make you more of a shoe-in as long as your EC's/LOR's are solid. It is possible to get in some schools with a lower MCAT (ie 24-27), but the rest of your application must be top-notch. Good luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
docmd2010 said:

I'll use myself as an example since we have similar gpa's:

I had research, shadowing, leadership position, good letters of rec, 3.489 gpa (when I applied), 27 MCAT and I applied EARLY! With those stats I was told at umdnjsom that I was a competetive applicant and was interviewed late September/accepted by late October. I just want to stress again how important it is to apply early. My entire application was in by late August. If you have any questions, PM me or do a search for previous threads.

Im not sure if there is a minimum required MCAT. Each school looks for different things in a med student. I know someone that got in with a 20 MCAT. APPLYING EARLY is the single most important piece of advice anyone should take.

From my experience it seems that most schools initially screen out applicants whose general MCAT score is below a relatively low set number. This number varies of course depending on school but is probably somewhere between 24-26. Then when offering interviews the general score is often disected and examined individually (BS,PS,VR). I ended up scoring in the 95th percentile in BS and then just bombed the VR. My general MCAT score ended up being somewhat middle of the road (27) yet I was accepted to 5 schools and declined a handful of other interviews. So, it's not always as clear cut as you might think. Good Luck.

medtraveler said:
From my experience it seems that most schools initially screen out applicants whose general MCAT score is below a relatively low set number. This number varies of course depending on school but is probably somewhere between 24-26. Then when offering interviews the general score is often disected and examined individually (BS,PS,VR). I ended up scoring in the 95th percentile in BS and then just bombed the VR. My general MCAT score ended up being somewhat middle of the road (27) yet I was accepted to 5 schools and declined a handful of other interviews. So, it's not always as clear cut as you might think. Good Luck.

thanks for your reply medtraveller. what was your gpa if you don't mind me asking?

dr.z said:
I would say over 27.

Yeah right! You've got to be kidding. DO schools have an average MCAT of around a 24-25 (not saying some people do not get higher) that’s just the average. His GPA is strong. If the OP gets over a 27 he/she would be competitive for allopathic. I say, if he gets at least a 24 he/she will be fine. In the end, I guess it really just depends on the school you plan on applying to.