Jul 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,
I am a prospective applicant to DO schools and had a question about the grade replacement policy. I contacted AACOMAS but they were unable to advise since I do not currently have an open application.
At my university, I took Physics 1 which is a 4 credit lecture and has a separate 1 credit lab component. My lab grade was good but my lecture grade was not satisfactory. I retook Physics 1 at a different university because it was significantly less expensive, but that course (along with most others in my state since my school is basically the only one that makes lab and lecture separate) has Physics 1 as a combined lecture/lab course for 4 credits. Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any insight as to what the outcome may be?

DOHopeful2

2+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2014
Lynchburg, Virginia
Status
Medical Student
Hey blugal11, I was in a similar boat as you. I think that as long as the units are equivalent it is completely fair to replace that grade. I think you are perfectly fine to replace your class since it will be on the same (semester?) system and it will be equal in units.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I believe it should be fine. I think the AACOMAS policy is that it has to be similar (ie not replacing gen bio w/ intro to bio, or bio for nurses, etc) and > in course hours.

from the instruction manual
Repeated coursework MUST be equivalent to the original course in course content and credit hours to be used as a replacement. Also, course levels must be equivalent.
So equivalent in content.
Equivalent in hours (not sure if this means greater hours won't count or not)
Course levels - for example, my UG had micro which is a 300 level bio course and then micro for nursing with is a 100 level nursing course. those would not count for each other.

I am guessing that you shouldn't have an issue, especially because the whole 3 vs 4 credit hour is a common thing in regards to including a lab or not.

Best to ask a vague question directly to AACOMAS. Asking if the policy "equivalent in credit hours" means has to be the same, or can be higher.

Apr 13, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I believe it should be fine. I think the AACOMAS policy is that it has to be similar (ie not replacing gen bio w/ intro to bio, or bio for nurses, etc) and > in course hours.

from the instruction manual

So equivalent in content.
Equivalent in hours (not sure if this means greater hours won't count or not)
Course levels - for example, my UG had micro which is a 300 level bio course and then micro for nursing with is a 100 level nursing course. those would not count for each other.

I am guessing that you shouldn't have an issue, especially because the whole 3 vs 4 credit hour is a common thing in regards to including a lab or not.

Best to ask a vague question directly to AACOMAS. Asking if the policy "equivalent in credit hours" means has to be the same, or can be higher.
I replaced intro to bio when I transferred schools. My first bio class was 4 credit hours. My replacement was 5 hours. It held up on aacomas.

Reactions: baxt1412

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I replaced intro to bio when I transferred schools. My first bio class was 4 credit hours. My replacement was 5 hours. It held up on aacomas.
i was guessing it would be fine since course hours are supposed to be standardized in reference to in class time, but wasn't exactly sure.

i think you'll be fine, OP, but it never hurts to check directly with AACOMAS. if they give you flak for not having an active application, tell them that you aren't applying yet but just wanted a clarification on a policy, not a clarification on a specific situation.

OP
B
Jul 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow guys, thank you do much for your fast and comprehensive replies! I was having one of those spiraling days where this was the only thing I could think about, but now I feel significantly better.
Sorry about the obsessing but I just want to be sure. Is the content still considered the same if the replacement course includes lab? And do they split up the course into lab and lecture components if they're combined?

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
should be fine to include a lab. i'd still suggest contacting AACOMAS directly... make sure you get a name and time stamp/confirmation number if it's over the phone.