Do Graduate Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chip90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This isn't a what's my chances thread. It's more of a what would you do thread.

I'm a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Physics with minors in Bio and Psych. 3.2cgpa and 3.1sgpa. These numbers should go up once you factor in this last term; my first year did not go so well hence the lower scores. 25 on the mcat, and retaking in May. A lot of ec, volunteering, and great LORs.

So I have applied to some graduate one year programs at schools around NJ/NY area.

My question is, should I apply over this summer (which was what I wanted to do).

Or should I apply next summer, after I finish the graduate program?

The downside of the first method is I guess my GPA won't be seen until at least half way through the graduate program.

The downside of the second method is ill have a second 'gap' year. I really don't want to do that. however, this is what my advisor has said for me to do. Unless I do really well on the MCATs.

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Physics with minors in Bio and Psych. 3.2cgpa and 3.1sgpa. These numbers should go up once you factor in this last term; my first year did not go so well hence the lower scores. 25 on the mcat, and retaking in May. A lot of ec, volunteering, and great LORs.

So I have applied to some graduate one year programs at schools around NJ/NY area.

My question is, should I apply over this summer (which was what I wanted to do).

The downside of the first method is I guess my GPA won't be seen until at least half way through the graduate program.

The downside of the second method is ill have a second 'gap' year. I really don't want to do that. however, this is what my advisor has said for me to do. Unless I do really well on the MCATs.

You could definitely apply over the summer, especially if you have repeated some courses as well. The AACOMAS offers grade replacement. Your MCAT score could raise some questions, so it's totally up to you if you want to try for a re-take. Your advisor may have a point in taking a gap year as well, especially if you haven't taken one at this point. Good luck and I'm sure others will chime in as well. :)

Graduate classes do not help your GPA if your pre-req's are low.
Take the year and retake all your core science that have low grades to bring up that GPA
Need to retake the MCAT
You have to apply to medical school a year in advance so either way you are going to have a gap year due to GPA repair.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduate classes do not help your GPA if your pre-req's are low.
Take the year and retake all your core science that have low grades to bring up that GPA
Need to retake the MCAT
You have to apply to medical school a year in advance so either way you are going to have a gap year due to GPA repair.

This is sound advice. Definitely save the money from a grad program and just do an informal post-bac (retake the classes you performer poorly in). If you aren't a full-time student, better yet: do well in your classes and pick up a job to help save some money. Good luck!

Retake the MCAT, if you can get a 28 or higher, with extra curriculars and activities that set you apart you'll get in, just apply early and broadly.

also don't waste your money on a grad program unless it's something you really want to do...you can retake problem courses to improve your gpa and get involved with some research to boost your app...

If you don't mind where you go, you should be able to get into a DO school this year w/o retaking the MCAT if you apply broadly and early. It may not be UMDNJ, NYCOM, or CCOM, but I think you should have no problems receiving interviews and even a few acceptances if you submit everything early.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ok so here's some more info:

cabinbuilder: I know that the grades are replaced for the pre reqs. Also, you are spot on that I did poorly in Gen Bio and Gen Chem and I was planning on retaking them. My GPA would go up significantly if I do. I had Cs in both Gen Bios and Gen Chem II, and Orgo II. So replacing those Cs with As my sGPA would be ~3.6

However, my advisor has told me not to do this and it would be a waste of time.

Honestly, the schools I want to go to are:
1. UMDNJ
2. TUCOM NY or CA
3. TCOM
4. PCOM

I do know I will have a gap year either way, however the difference is between 1 gap year vs 2 gap year.

I am definetly retaking the MCAT because I know I can do a lot better.

Also, just to add to be sure, these are the one year GSBS programs for students to take medical school courses in between their gap year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Ok so here's some more info:

cabinbuilder: I know that the grades are replaced for the pre reqs. Also, you are spot on that I did poorly in Gen Bio and Gen Chem and I was planning on retaking them. My GPA would go up significantly if I do. I had Cs in both Gen Bios and Gen Chem II, and Orgo II. So replacing those Cs with As my sGPA would be ~3.6

However, my advisor has told me not to do this and it would be a waste of time.
the MCAT because I know I can do a lot better.

QUOTE]

My comment to this is WTF? Just remember that your advisor has NEVER BEEN TO MEDICAL SCHOOL. Most of them don't know the difference between grade replacement on the DO side and grade averaging on the MD side. Take the classes over. It will be in your best interest since you are looking at DO school.

FWIW: I had a 24 on my MCAT but my post-bacc GPA (all science in one year) was 3.9

Last edited:
CB is right, your advisor is a clown... If you can delay your graduation and retake the classes as a student, I would do that. If I would have known I could do that when I was in UG (a loooong time ago) I wouldn't have been a non-trad student... All because advisors don't know crap!

I had a 26 on my MCAT and I got in, but I have really really solid post-bacc work (informal)...

Wow, I really need to think about this. Perhaps I will talk to a DO school and ask what is more preferred in a candidate.

One of my friends did exactly this (retaking 101 courses) and went up to 3.7 GPA and got into TouroCom ny and ca, pcom, and a few others.

FYI, this advisor works at the Health Profession Office. Plus, he's the director of the office as well. I will also talk to him one more time.

I don't think I have to delay graduation. If I decide to retake courses, I just need to reenroll as a post grad.

OK, an update question:

If I retake a few courses I got a C in, specifically Bio I, Bio II, and Chem II. Can I retake in Fall? Or Summer?

OK, an update question:

If I retake a few courses I got a C in, specifically Bio I, Bio II, and Chem II. Can I retake in Fall? Or Summer?
Are you wanting to count them with your AACOMAS this year or next year? If next year then either one is a good plan. If you want to count them this year then neither unless you submit your primary in the Fall after receiving your summer grades.

If I apply in the fall, it would probably be too late.

Well got rejected from 2/5 of those grad programs I applied to :( I talked to the administrator of one and they said nothing is super bad nor super good.

They said my MCAT needs to come up
They said there was no epiphany moment and everything was ok.
They said I needed more science LORs (getting this term)
Also, he said NOT to retake Bio and Chem.

After hearing this twice, I think I should retake it..

I did want to apply this June and send in my grades at the end of August. But then I'm delayed anyway until that time. So either if I am waiting until next year to apply, I can take the courses during the semester?