Do I even have a change at PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlm0369

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying to PT school this next application period, and was wondering if I could get some advice or insight.

B.S. in Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.16
Pre-Req: 3.18
GRE: haven't taken yet
Extracurricular: Phi Sigma Pi secretary, Baptist Student Ministry
2000+ hours - outpatient/aquatic (4 years as a PT tech), and 30 hrs. acute care

I want to think I have a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hm... not sure what you're talking about having a "change" at PT school.

Your overall and pre-req GPAs are a tad lower than what's expected, especially for a Kinesiology degree, which gets a bad rap these days for not being "up there" with other majors in terms of academic rigor. Do well on your GREs, get great LORs from the PTs you've observed under, do well on your interest/personal statement, and if there are interviews, slay 'em.

Improve your stats and you have a chance. You always have a chance. You just need to increase those chances.

Hm... not sure what you're talking about having a "change" at PT school.

Your overall and pre-req GPAs are a tad lower than what's expected, especially for a Kinesiology degree, which gets a bad rap these days for not being "up there" with other majors in terms of academic rigor. Do well on your GREs, get great LORs from the PTs you've observed under, do well on your interest/personal statement, and if there are interviews, slay 'em.

Improve your stats and you have a chance. You always have a chance. You just need to increase those chances.

Any sources for your statements? I'd like to see, thanks. I have "heard" that KINE is one of the best routes for PT school. My degree in KINE set me up better for PT school than biology majors a my college. Although they will both get you there, as will any, provided you have the grades, one is not necessarily better. If you consider KINE not " rigorous" enough because of the lack of genetics and organics , then I consider biology and other majors not as rigorous because of their lack of biomechanics

Members don't see this ad :)
Any sources for your statements? I'd like to see, thanks. I have "heard" that KINE is one of the best routes for PT school. My degree in KINE set me up better for PT school than biology majors a my college. Although they will both get you there, as will any, provided you have the grades, one is not necessarily better. If you consider KINE not " rigorous" enough because of the lack of genetics and organics , then I consider biology and other majors not as rigorous because of their lack of biomechanics

I'm sure goyo1010 was only stating an opinion. I can see both views being a business major with a year of biology and even more with kinesiology courses - including biomechanics. Personally, genetics and molecular cell biology were tougher subjects for me. I agree that one should not be considered better than the other since they cover separate disciplines.

As for the OP, your GPA is of concern but shouldn't be an "end all", however you should concentrate on killing that GRE. I would start by visiting the ETS website to obtain their free study guide. Use the guide to build a study plan. When writing your SoP, make sure that you ask professors and peers for constructive feedback - not just for edit marks. Also, with the amount of exposure time you have, you should be able to get some awesome LoRs. It would help to choose a PT who knows you the best and with good writing skills - not just to fluff you up. Good luck!

Last edited: