MD & DO Do I even have a shot? Please advise!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bayliferous

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to go to medical school (MD or DO), but I graduated college close to 1.5 years ago with an atrocious GPA of 2.78 (without repeat grade replacement, 2.6...). I won't delve much into why this happened, but what it boils down to is that I was extremely depressed and completely gave up on myself--didn't go to class, study, etc. However, I've totally turned my life around since then and am not ready to let go of my lifelong dream of becoming a doctor. I have been taking community college classes since last semester to raise my cGPA.

I have not yet taken the MCAT because I've wanted to wait until I've completed o-chem and physics. I'm not underestimating the MCAT at all (!), but I do generally do well on standardized-type tests (ex: I was 97th national percentile with the SAT), so I'm hopeful that I can get a decent score with the proper amount of studying.

Right now, probably the biggest thing I have going for me is that I am full-time employed at a very prestigious academic hospital working directly for an eminent, internationally renowned surgeon. This surgeon is the chair of the surgery department, surgeon-in-chief of the hospital, and is the head of multiple respected national and international medical organizations. I am confident that a letter of recommendation from this surgeon will go an extremely long way when applying for med school.

Also, I have been involved with a research lab at another prestigious university for almost 1.5 years. I have a research paper currently in review in which I am the primary author, and another paper that was recently submitted. I'm about to start another primary authored paper, as well. Although I definitely can't assume any of them will be accepted, it's possible that I will have 3 published authorships soon here.

I don't have much/any clinical experience yet, but I have access to tons of doctors across a large variety of specialties through my job that I should be able to shadow. I was EMT certified but stupidly got my license while I was a full-time student and didn't have time to use it before it expired, aside from one stint as the medic at a children's camp.

Because I know GPA is my major limiting factor, I am planning on pursuing a master's. I thoroughly researched SMP's, but am leaning towards an MPH instead because I feel it would leave me with a career path to fall back on if I don't get accepted to med school. Also, I know an MPH would provide valuable knowledge for a physician.

Even if I get a good score on the MCAT, do well in a master's program, and obtain clinical and volunteer experience, is it worth it for me to apply? I don't want to abandon my dream, but I also need to be realistic. If gaining med school admission would be impossible, I would rather realize that now and start focusing on another career plan, like nursing, than waste the next several years of my life trying to make med school happen. I welcome any and all advice! Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So first I believe (could be wrong) that if the Surgeon who would write the LOR doesn't have any ties to a medical school then it won't really matter. If he does have ties to a medical school it may just get you a formalities interview followed by a rejection letter.

A MPH will help you if you want to just apply to DO schools, but MD schools look at masters degrees differently and it does not really have much of an affect on your application. So far your EC are good as long as you get clinical and non-clinical volunteering , which will get you through the door but you don't really have anything to get you to the door as it stands. You'll have to do very good on the MCAT and also take an SMP and ace it if you want a chance.

You need to raise your cGPA and sGPA to at least 3.0 to have a chance for some DO schools. A DIY post bacc would be fine. Take enough courses at a local college in order to raise your GPA to 3.0. You also need to score at least 505 on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that GPA you have 3 options:
1.Post Bacc (DIY), boost your gpa, and do really well on the mcat
2. Look into different careers
3. Carribean Medical School(risky business)

Thank you guys for your advice, I appreciate it!

@Optimist Prime the surgeon has extremely strong ties to the medical school, and I'm technically an employee within the med school. But I definitely see your point. Are you recommending that I do an MPH if I'm focusing only on DO schools, or an SMP to shoot for either DO or MD?

@Faha and @Kingsmen2018 are you both saying that you recommend not doing an SMP, and instead only doing a DIY post bacc?

Thank you guys for your advice, I appreciate it!

@Optimist Prime the surgeon has extremely strong ties to the medical school, and I'm technically an employee within the med school. But I definitely see your point. Are you recommending that I do an MPH if I'm focusing only on DO schools, or an SMP to shoot for either DO or MD?

@Faha and @Kingsmen2018 are you both saying that you recommend not doing an SMP, and instead only doing a DIY post bacc?

Ya SMP or DIY post bacc is fine for both MD and DO schools. However, if you want to do a MPH that will really only help you for DO schools.