Do I give information about extenuating circumstances during MCAT that contributed to poor score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aj716

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just received my MCAT score today, to say the least I was definitely not happy with it and it was below average, 494. During the time of my MCAT, I had family events happened that definitely contributed to my poor score and distracted me.

One of the DO schools I applied to asked:

Opportunity for explanation
Please use the space below to offer the Admissions Committee any information you would like to be taken into consideration regarding your transcripts or MCAT scores.

Would you explain these circumstances and how it distracted you and possibly contributed to a poor score? I feel like it may be helpful for explanation, but I also do not want to seem weak and like I cannot handle medical school. Anyone have similar experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I just received my MCAT score today, to say the least I was definitely not happy with it and it was below average, 494. During the time of my MCAT, I had family events happened that definitely contributed to my poor score and distracted me.

Please use the space below to offer the Admissions Committee any information you would like to be taken into consideration regarding your transcripts or MCAT scores.

Would you explain these circumstances and how it distracted you and possibly contributed to a poor score? I feel like it may be helpful for explanation, but I also do not want to seem weak and like I cannot handle medical school. Anyone have similar experience?

You should have voided it? Re-take when you are ready.

Man this is a tough situation because it has the potential to backfire, I guess it depends on the way you present your case. I mean, if you knew that the family events were affecting your ability to study for the MCAT exam, you should had postponed the exam until the issues were resolved. I mean I totally get you, I was in a similar situation last year. I had been preparing for the exam but then I became pregnant and it really affected the way I studied. I decided to take the exam either way but when I got the score I realized just how badly prepared I was for it. One of my interviewers asked me why my score was so low and as soon as I started explaining my situation it sounded more of an excuse than anything else. I'm not sure if that was a contributor factor, but I ended up being waitlisted at that specific school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Why didn't you void? Do NOT apply this go around, guess its too late for that. I would scrub your apps and fix your MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t. That is what the void option is for.

Study up for a retake and apply next year

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t. That is what the void option is for.

Study up for a retake and apply next year

Agree.

Don’t make excuses.

If you felt you were in a poor situation during testing that contributed to a lower score, you should have voided.

Having the AAMC add a note to your file saying “oh yeah this person just had it rough, that’s why they scored a 495” is just going to make adcoms laugh as they trash your application.

Prepare to retake or make peace with your current score.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your other stats? Overall app (EC's, letters, etc)?

In either case a retake is in order - score above a 500+ this time, or look into other professions such as podiatry, which will gladly take current score.

Like others have said, don’t apply. Retake the MCAT and crush it before you apply. Your judgement will come into question if you submit since you chose to score your MCAT despite extenuating circumstances.

Hello,

This prompt is for things like "my monitor was flickering all through the exam" or "noisy construction was going on next door to the exam center".

The MCAT is a test of judgement as much as one of knowledge. Trying to bulldoze your way through a career-deciding, high stakes exam doesn't put you in a good light.

Forget about applying right now until you retake, but get your issues in order first.

During the time of my MCAT, I had family events happened that definitely contributed to my poor score and distracted me.

Then you shouldn’t have taken it. These aren’t excuses for a poor score when you had the option to postpone until the life events had passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.