Do I have a chance? 2.9 GPA

somedude14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I graduated with a 2.9 GPA and I'm wondering if I can get into a decent college. I got a 980 on the SATS. I failed algebra 2 and retook it and got a low D. I took some honors classes but got C's or worse in them. Never took an AP class. I didn't have any extra curricular activities or clubs except I ran track and played baseball but got hurt so couldn't play anymore. Now I'm going to try to go to college and try to get a good job instead of baseball. I was a bit of a trouble maker in school but I was able to get 2 decent letters of rec. I would like to apply to these schools if anyone knows anything about them: Pitt, Penn State, and Westminster College. Could I get any scholarships too? I want to be a neuropsychologist I think.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a PA resident, you may be able to get into PSU, maybe in one of the Commonwealth campuses. Depending on your major, after 2 years you are eligible to move to Main.

If you don't get into PSU, do a year at CC and then apply.

PSU is amazing.

Sorry i dont think you have a chance at Pitt.

Im sure you might have a chance at PSU but not University Park..but hopefully if you get into another PSU campus you can transfer to Upark
in 2 years. HAve you tried studying to retake the SATs? With that low of
a GPA you can still get into a decent school with a high SAT score.

I know a friend of mine who goes to Penn State Abington had a 3.2 gpa, but he had a 1600 out of 2400 SAT score..and he will be transfering to Upark in another year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I graduated with a 2.9 GPA and I'm wondering if I can get into a decent college. I got a 980 on the SATS. I failed algebra 2 and retook it and got a low D. I took some honors classes but got C's or worse in them. Never took an AP class. I didn't have any extra curricular activities or clubs except I ran track and played baseball but got hurt so couldn't play anymore. Now I'm going to try to go to college and try to get a good job instead of baseball. I was a bit of a trouble maker in school but I was able to get 2 decent letters of rec. I would like to apply to these schools if anyone knows anything about them: Pitt, Penn State, and Westminster College. Could I get any scholarships too? I want to be a neuropsychologist I think.

Thanks for any help.

Then again, there are always the 14 state schools in Pennsylvania you can apply to...

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Anyone know anything about Westminster? its a small private school but very strong academic record.That was really my first choice...

Hey somedude, I'm from Pittsburgh and applied to Pitt and Westminster (ended up at Pitt).

Pitt has gotten a lot more competitive in the past few years. I think your best bet with them is to apply to all five branches. If you get into Pitt-Bradford or Pitt-Johnstown or one of the others, you can do a few years there and then transfer to main campus once you get your grades up.

I'm going to assume you're living in Western PA - another great option is doing a year or two at CCAC and then transfering to Pitt. My best friend did that and she loved CCAC. Plus Pitt's used to getting transfers from them so it would be a painless transfer as far as getting credits to transfer.

I toured Westminster and it is a great little school. I liked the campus and they were very friendly and welcoming. I think they are a little less competitive while still a good school. I'd really recommend applying there.

Since your stats are a little low I think you should look into some of the other programs in the area: RMU, Slippery Rock, Point Park, Carlow, La Salle, Chatham, Edinboro, Lake Erie, and so on. There are a lot of smaller colleges in Western PA and if you apply to a good range you should have a better chance of getting in.

Thanks for the input dudes! I'll apply around and see where I get into. I didn't try at all in high school so as long as I get another chance I'll be right up there with the neurotic aspiring doctors, academically speaking. :p