Do I have a chance at acceptance if I'm complete mid Oct for some schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted659912

Hi everyone,

I've been waiting on a DO rec for a while and I think I'll have it by next month. I have a 30 MCAT (10,10,10) and 3.8c and 3.8s. With my stats do you still think I can still be competitive by then?

I've already applied to the PCOMs, LECOMs, NYCOM and Nova since they don't require the letter/don't need til after the interview.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I know people with worse stats who applied later and got in.

Thanks for answering. Do you know which schools they were accepted into?

Members don't see this ad :)
I turned in my secondaries Halloween. I'm currently at DMU.

Shouldn't have a problem. I was average around then and got in.

Your stats obliterate DO matriculant averages. You will be fine.

Hell, you could even get into some MD schools if you waited a year and applied early in June through AMCAS.

Yeah i was average. Interview invites came within the first week-month. I was accepted to KCOM 2 weeks after my secondary was done, so I only scheduled a few more interviews. Almost didn't go to my DMU interview, but I'm glad I did

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and apply to every DO school in the midwest and hopefully I can get in somewhere!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and apply to every DO school in the midwest and hopefully I can get in somewhere!

This is really a funny thing to say, given your stats.

EDIT: Ohhh the letter thing might hurt a tad. But who knows. Your stats are really freakin good for DO schools.

This is really a funny thing to say, given your stats.

EDIT: Ohhh the letter thing might hurt a tad. But who knows. Your stats are really freakin good for DO schools.

OP's stats are absolute overkill for DO schools.

Very competitive, but not guaranteed anything. Needs to be a complete applicant. I had a friend who didn't get in with 3.9/29 and then landed an MD acceptance a cycle later after scribing for a year.

OP got such good stats, her p value's like 0.00000001!!!!!!!!

tumblr_mj4g5zaYr61rqyqmdo1_500.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely! I hope you'll send an app to my school.

Hi everyone,

I've been waiting on a DO rec for a while and I think I'll have it by next month. I have a 30 MCAT (10,10,10) and 3.8c and 3.8s. With my stats do you still think I can still be competitive by then?

I've already applied to the PCOMs, LECOMs, NYCOM and Nova since they don't require the letter/don't need til after the interview.

Thanks

Absolutely! I hope you'll send an app to my school.

Oh ****, you even got @Goro drooling.

OP, you win at life. Have a fun time with what I'm sure will be an awesome cycle for you.

Thanks everyone, it's nice to know that it's not too late. So far, I've applied these schools:

PCOM-Philly
PCOM-GA
LECOM
LECOM-B
NYIT
Nova
Touro-NY
Touro-NV
CCOM
AZCOM

Sadly DMU won't accept AP credit for my English courses and both Marian and KCUMB require biochem, so the midwestern schools aren't going to work for me =( Does anyone recommend other schools?

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Your stats are well above what most DO students have, if I were you I would really apply to MD schools, you really have no idea how you are going to limit your career options by only going to DO schools, your stats could get you into lower and maybe mid tier MD schools, also apply there. And if you are late, might as well wait this year out and try next year, its well worth it.

If you are going to apply to DO only then only apply to the most established DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Your stats are well above what most DO students have, if I were you I would really apply to MD schools, you really have no idea how you are going to limit your career options by only going to DO schools, your stats could get you into lower and maybe mid tier MD schools, also apply there. And if you are late, might as well wait this year out and try next year, its well worth it.

If you are going to apply to DO only then only apply to the most established DO schools.

Is it really that bad? I mean, yes, competitive residencies will be tough to attain; but, other than that, if board scores are competitive, what other limitations will DO's face in the US?

Is it really that bad? I mean, yes, competitive residencies will be tough to attain; but, other than that, if board scores are competitive, what other limitations will DO's face in the US?

I was thinking of the OPs stats, and he is well above most accepted students at most DO schools, so if he goes to an MD school, he is doing himself a big favor. DO is an acceptable substitute if you are willing to accept the differences in curriculum and the fact that many schools emphasize primary care medicine.

I was thinking of the OPs stats, and he is well above most accepted students at most DO schools, so if he goes to an MD school, he is doing himself a big favor. DO is an acceptable substitute if you are willing to accept the differences in curriculum and the fact that many schools emphasize primary care medicine.

Ah Ok. I just thought when you said "you really have no idea..." that I was missing something about the disadvantages of DO.

Ah Ok. I just thought when you said "you really have no idea..." that I was missing something about the disadvantages of DO.

There are a lot of disadvantages of DO vs US MD and as the OP posted his stats, he has a decent chance at a lower tier MD school. I think he should also aim for upper tier DO schools only.

There are a lot of disadvantages of DO vs US MD and as the OP posted his stats, he has a decent chance at a lower tier MD school. I think he should also aim for upper tier DO schools only.

The top 5 DO schools would still put you in a pretty good position though for residency right?

I applied to 12 MD schools and was complete around late July/early August. I would prefer MD for cost reasons alone but I don't have a problem going the DO route. I'm pretty sure I want to do anasthesiology and that seems pretty DO friendly and so are my next two options, EM and psychiatry.

I applied to 12 MD schools and was complete around late July/early August. I would prefer MD for cost reasons alone but I don't have a problem going the DO route. I'm pretty sure I want to do anasthesiology and that seems pretty DO friendly and so are my next two options, EM and psychiatry.

If you get into an MD school you are much better off going that route, if you get into a DO school make sure you go to an upper tier DO school, you will get a more consistent quality education at an upper tier DO school than at many of the lower tier and mid tier DO schools.

Also OMM is a big component of your education for the first two years at many schools, some schools also integrate it into their clinical years as well, so make a note of that because this is a key difference in the educational style of MD vs. DO. Also many schools try to emphasize primary care over specialization. The fields you mention are fairly doable as DO though, the catch is that you will have to do well on your board examinations.

I have seen students from lower tier MD schools match better than graduates from top DO schools like PCOM.

Why is this turning into yet another DO vs. MD thread?

Edited: removed my comment on the AMCAS timeline because I didn't notice OP already clarified that

Last edited:

GPA, yes. MCAT depends on the school. 30 is just average or slightly above at several DO schools now.

The top 5 DO schools would still put you in a pretty good position though for residency right?

Tbh, unless you're coming from an elite MD school (Harvard, JHU, WashU, etc) name isn't going to play a huge factor other than within your region. Your individual profile is everything. The schools may also just have good reputations at certain programs. For example, my school has matched 5 or 6 people to Mayo in the past 3 years and 2 of them matched Derm. Safe to say we've got a good rep up there while other DO schools may not match there at all. The best thing the 'top 5' will do is give you the resources and curriculum to get the board scores you need to be more competitive, school name has little to do with it.

Why is this turning into yet another DO vs. MD thread?

Because Seth Joo commented?

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks everyone, it's nice to know that it's not too late. So far, I've applied these schools:

PCOM-Philly
PCOM-GA
LECOM
LECOM-B
NYIT
Nova
Touro-NY
Touro-NV
CCOM
AZCOM

Sadly DMU won't accept AP credit for my English courses and both Marian and KCUMB require biochem, so the midwestern schools aren't going to work for me =( Does anyone recommend other schools?

If you don't mind rural settings and are interested in OM you can add KCOM. I'd also look into RVU. Despite the negative hype it gets from some people, their stats are solid and so was their most recent match list.

If you don't mind rural settings and are interested in OM you can add KCOM. I'd also look into RVU. Despite the negative hype it gets from some people, their stats are solid and so was their most recent match list.

ATSU-SOMA is a solid choice, its about half an hour outside of Phoenix, not that rural. RVU is a for profit school. I think the OP should aim for the upper tier DO schools first then mid tier.

Both PCOM campuses will provide a solid education. CCOM and AZCOM are great schools as well.

PCOM-Philly
PCOM-GA
LECOM
LECOM-B
NYIT
Nova
Touro-NY
Touro-NV
CCOM
AZCOM

Add more state schools like rowan, ohio, MSU, Tcom. Ohio requires 5 year guarantee residency after graduation and MSU has an absurd oos

GPA, yes. MCAT depends on the school. 30 is just average or slightly above at several DO schools now.

The best thing the 'top 5' will do is give you the resources and curriculum to get the board scores you need to be more competitive, school name has little to do with it.

Is there a list or does anyone know these top DO schools so I can investigate?

PCOM, KCOM, Ohio Heritage, CCOM, KCUMB, DMU, MSUCOM, TCOM, Nova would probably be the top DO schools.

KCOM and Ohio kind of in rural locales though.

PCOM, KCOM, Ohio Heritage, CCOM, KCU, DMU, MSUCOM, TCOM, Nova would probably be the top DO schools.

KCOM and Ohio kind of in rural locales though.

FTFY. Pretty solid list. If you're going purely on stats you can throw RVU in there as well, though it's a newer school, so it won't have the reputation of some of the older schools like DMU, KCOM, CCOM, or KCU.

Add more state schools like rowan, ohio, MSU, Tcom. Ohio requires 5 year guarantee residency after graduation and MSU has an absurd oos

I wouldn't apply to TCOM either since 90% of their class is always TX residents. It's a very oos unfriendly school. Rowan wouldn't be bad though.

FTFY. Pretty solid list. If you're going purely on stats you can throw RVU in there as well, though it's a newer school, so it won't have the reputation of some of the older schools like DMU, KCOM, CCOM, or KCU.

RVU is kind of iffy, I do not like the people who run RVU, the guy who started the school used be involved with running Caribbean schools, so that is a mark against it, but its been doing pretty well, and its a great locale, its not in a bad inner city locale, its an affluent suburb of Denver, its a clean safe campus, so it might be worth sending an application.

RVU is kind of iffy, I do not like the people who run RVU, the guy who started the school used be involved with running Caribbean schools, so that is a mark against it, but its been doing pretty well, and its a great locale, its not in a bad inner city locale, its an affluent suburb of Denver, its a clean safe campus, so it might be worth sending an application.

Yes, the founders came from less than desirable backgrounds in the Caribbean, but from what I've heard the school is putting out solid people. I know a few people that graduated from there and they were all very happy with most of their time there and where they ended up. At the end of the day, I would want to know that I'll succeed and be able to go where I want. From what I've seen and heard, it looks like they do a pretty good job of that there.

Yes, the founders came from less than desirable backgrounds in the Caribbean, but from what I've heard the school is putting out solid people. I know a few people that graduated from there and they were all very happy with most of their time there and where they ended up. At the end of the day, I would want to know that I'll succeed and be able to go where I want. From what I've seen and heard, it looks like they do a pretty good job of that there.

RVU has plenty of good things going for it, it is in a nice location, its not in the middle of a crime ridden neighborhood or some impoverished rural town that looks like District 12 from the Hunger Games. The school is a for profit and is doing a good job.

the problem with for-profit is the long term trajectory of the administration. when funds and profitability becomes difficult to sustain, the organization places profits at a higher priority in their mission and vision than non-profit schools. they are more willing to resort to unscrupulous practices - for the given industry - when pushed against the edge of funding. it's possible that nothing will happen within the 4 year you are there if you attended right now, but what about in 20 years? will the alumni base be destroyed to ensure profitability? how much of the quality of education be sacrificed? more so than non-profit.

Last edited:

You are going to be 300k or more in debt when you leave medical school, you want to have the most career options when you enter the real world, having an MD from a US MD school is going have the most doors open for you.

As far as being a DO, as long as you go to a good DO school, get good board scores and do well on your rotations, you can get a decent residency, but if you compare the match list of a school like PCOM to a lower tier MD school like Drexel or Thomas Jefferson, the lower tier MD school almost always wins.