Do I have a chance at any DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

electron4523

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My sgpa/cgpa are ~3.2 mcat ~505, but the problem is I don't have a DO letter. I was able to shadow a DO once for a day and have a lot of friends who are in DO schools and from them I have some knowledge of OMM but I wasn't able to see it in practice. A lot of the secondaries I am getting are asking for experience with Osteopathic medicine and I can only give a simplified answer since the DO physician I shadowed said she doesn't use OMM and does the same thing as MDs. I have an MD letter, but I'm not sure if I'm competitive at schools in my area right now. Do I have a chance at DMU or CCOM with my stats? I think I otherwise have decent EC's.
Also a friend of mine told me to get a DO letter and apply later in the cycle but I'm not sure if it will hurt my chances since I think I need to apply early because my stats aren't very good.

Edit: I am still sending out primaries pretty broadly, but if anyone has suggestions to add/remove from this list I would greatly appreciate it.
DMU
CCOM

Edit 2: Privacy reasons, also got accepted for future reference

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is fine for all DO schools but your GPA is below the median for most if not all schools. I suggest adding these schools:
BCOM
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
MU-COM
ACOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is fine for all DO schools but your GPA is below the median for most if not all schools. I suggest adding these schools:
BCOM
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
MU-COM
ACOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
Thank you! Will do. Also, I'm not sure how much this will help but my low gpa is mostly due to poor grades during my fresh/soph years of undergrad. For the last 2 years I had a 3.6 average.
Do you think lacking a DO letter will significantly hurt my chances at DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Will do. Also, I'm not sure how much this will help but my low gpa is mostly due to poor grades during my fresh/soph years of undergrad. For the last 2 years I had a 3.6 average.
Do you think lacking a DO letter will significantly hurt my chances at DO schools?
No.

It won't hurt. Having one always helps.