DO I have a chance at MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsmith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am colombian citizen but I have a green card, Currently a Texas resident So I am consider a UMR since I am hispanic. I went to UT and have a sGPA 3.65 and a cGPA 3.71.

I have done terrible on the mcat first time 21 (7, 6 , 8) second time 25 (8, 8 , 9). I don't know hwat happened the second time since I was scoring in the low 30's.

I have also have very good EC's
- Volunteer at hospitals (over 400 hours)
- Missionary work (over 400 hours)
- Patient translator (200 hours)
- Work for habitad for himanity, make a wish foundation and mentor at schools
- I have several other volunteer activaties that all together can give me close to 2000 hours

_ I was a research assistant in colombia and have 2 publications there
- Have over 600 hours of shadowing including doctor in pediatrics, obgyn, neurosurgery and internal medicine.
- Currently working with a pedisttitian as a tech.

-Also I have lots of leadership roles, such as secretary, vicepresident and CRO and was a member of many organizations on campus
- People writting me LOR are the dean at UT, and the medical director of 2 big hospitals in texas

I am ok going DO and I will apply there I just want to know if I have any shoot at MD or am I wasting my time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake the MCAT, score at least 30, and you will have a decent shot at MD.

Otherwise, you look good to go with DO. Your letters of rec are likely to be very impressive. Just make sure you can speak to why you did all those volunteer hours and why they were meaningful to you/the people you served.