Medical Do I have a chance at osteopathic medical schools with 498 MCAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lubbock, Texas resident

Male

Asian

20 years old

Just got my MCAT back and the score was 498 (123, 123, 126, 126)

I retook the MCAT from a 490 (124, 123, 121, 122)

(This is my celling unfortunately; I have so much on my plate that I don’t see a retake for now; disappointed with C/P and CARS as I had been scoring higher but can’t do much now)

Current MPH student at Emory University

Undergrad GPA: 3.6

Undergrad SGPA: 3.5

Shadowing Experience: 2 MD and 1 DO

Community Service: I started my own non-profit after my brother was diagnosed with a rare blood cancer. Since inception we have raised thousands of dollars to help individuals with the same type of cancer seek treatment; I also helped build a school for the blind in a third world country one summer.

Research: Clinical Research coordinator for 2.5 years now; dealing with patients as well as behind the scenes of trials

Academic research: Abstract presentation of a patient developing a rare infection while undergoing treatment. Presented findings in Tokyo.

I am mainly interested in DO schools. I fell in love with the philosophy since I was in college and since then haven’t looked back. I am aware my MCAT is holding me back but I have really given my all for the exam and am not dissapointed as I tried my best. I am not the most intelligent person when it comes to exams but I do feel like I work hard. Just want to know where I should apply for DO schools.

Thank you and god bless
I think you have a very small chance. That being said, I think raising your ceiling is going to be key to getting in. I can't recommend that you apply to medical school with that MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

I am just 2 points away from the average MCAT score?
Let's see what AAMC has to say. Note that it's not a gradient once you get to 500 and less...it's a cliff.

Also, their data shows that averaging scores (494 in your case) is more accurate as a predictor than taking the latest score or highest.

1594835817528.png

1594835877237.png

Reactions: 1 user
You GOTTA get that MCAT up. If you can't your chances at getting THROUGH medical school are low.

I know two people who couldn't break that 500 and STRUGGLED HARD. You don't want this to be you and neither do the medical schools that are needing your precious tuition dollars and don't want to kick you out.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.