Do i have a chance in heck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychstudent!721

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, from the research im looking at (acceptance rates for GPA and MCAT scores) I have a small chance, luckily I’m
Not applying right this moment. I graduated with my BS in psychology. I did a internship at a psychiatric hospital, as well as interned at a mental health facility. I was set to attend an MSW program but realized it wasn’t for me. I always wanted to do medicine but was highly discouraged from a parent at a young age and it took its tool. My doctors, professors, and others have told me to go the medicine route. I turned down the MSW program. I have a 3.1 cumulative GPA as well as a 3.2 in my psychology major. I returned to get a second BS in biology. I have to retake some basic science courses aswell as more advanced courses. I also plan on doing research and working my butt off. If I can get straight As and Bs from here to the end of my second major, even if it’s only enough to pull up my GPA to a 3.4 and I do very well on my MCAT, do I have a shot in heck of doing some medical program? My lower GPA was a byproduct of many things. Mental health issues, financial issues requiring me to work 2-3 jobs at a time, a prolonged illness and eventual passing of a family member who was a father figure to me. Do I still have a shot to turn this around? Am I thinking too far ahead?

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT is at least 500 then you could receive interviews at some DO schools.
I plan on raising my GPA as high as possible. Ive read that with a 3.5 GPA and a good MCAT score there’s a percentage that get admitted to a medical school. I’m unsure what a DO is. I read on some SUNY programs like SUNY Downstate they look favorably on applicants who have experience in the social science field as well. I’m also considering doing a MS in biology, applying to PA programs, etc. I’ve read statistics on 3.4-3.5 students being admitted to medical programs. I’m capable of the work, aside from pulling all As in my biology program, what advice do you have to show admission Panels that I am capable, extenuating circumstances just held me back momentarily

Members don't see this ad :)
Just do well in your courses and MCAT. Let us know what your eventual GPA's and MCAT are in the future. A DO degree is similar to a MD degree.

Just do well in your courses and MCAT. Let us know what your eventual GPA's and MCAT are in the future. A DO degree is similar to a MD degree.
Ok, I’m sorry for all the information I have ADHD and high anxiety. Am I just getting too far ahead of myself at this point, I should really be worried about my courses and MCAT at this stage.