Do I have a chance? Masters to PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Searching4Light

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ever since I was young I have always wanted to become a Pharmacist.
I will finish my Duel Masters degree in Health Admin & Community Health in the Spring.

Currently my GPA is a 3.18.... I know you're probably asking why. Here's a synopsis.

One day during my fall semester in October 2012 , I went to an event and I was sexually harassed, threatened, and almost robbed at gun point (Yes a gun was pointed directly in my face!!) From that moment, I was too scared to go outside and I did not want to talk to anyone. Consequently, I was not able to withdraw from my class resulting in an F. This put me at Academic warning.

I mustered up confidence to register for Spring and I got back on track. My term GPA was a 3.6. But I was not able to get a 3.0 cumulative GPA resulting in Academic Dismissal. However, I was not dismissed thank fully.

Throughout my tenure, I never received a C grade. I've been working diligently in order to improve my GPA.

I have taken the PCat twice- once to see what I was getting myself into. The other time I took it, I did well but it was not high enough. My undergraduate GPA was 3.33 and sciences 2.75. I have experience as a pharmacy tech but but cert has since expired.

Do I have a chance? What schools would you recommend that I apply to? Do you have any advice in order for me to do well?

FYI... I live on the East Coast.


Thank you for your advice in advance!!!!!!
 
you wont know until you try. Apply...apply to more than 1 school. I knew someone who had circumstances only he wanted to go to med school. He ended up having to wait 2 years (because the 1 place he kept applying to said no) until he got in (went out of state).
 
How was your score? "well" is subjective. It can make up for a lower than average GPA at some schools but not for others. A 2.75 science gpa is very low for most programs. I'm not saying that it's impossible... but you can't afford to be picky either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The real concern is not getting in, its if you could do the work even if you did get it. Pharmacy school is hard, and marginal students often end up dropping/flunking out. I could tell you about several sad stories of my fellow classmates who ended up with tens of thousands of dollars in debt & no pharmacy degree. At best, you are a marginal student. I understand your extenuating circumstances affecting your GPA, but that shouldn't have affected your PCAT....that you already have taken twice. You may feel otherwise, but it really is in your best interests to only get accepted if there is a reasonable chance you can do the work. Pharmacy school is heavily science based, a 2.75 is a concern. Now if you had got straight A's, and then just had the semester of F's that pulled you down, I'd say go ahead and go for it. But I don't think that's the case, or you would have done better on your PCAT.
You say you've always wanted to be a pharmacist since you were little, but obviously at some point you decided not to, and to get your dual masters instead (I'm guessing because of your relatively low grades/PCAT?) Also, could you really not call your school and explain about being accosted at gunpoint? Surely they would have worked with you to get you properly withdrawn from the class for a medical excuse or something (wouldn't they have been willing to mail you the forms? Did you have no friends or family who could pick up the forms for you from the school?) If I were you, I would really hesitate to sign up for my additional college debt, given you situation. I see the risks being greater than the benefits at this point.
 
Not to mention that even if you do manage to graduate, the job market is terrible - especially on the East Coast. Save yourself a lot of time, money, and heartache and don't go to pharmacy school.
 
the pharmacy ship sailed a long time ago buddy, you missed it. don't go to pharmacy school.

but to answer your question, you would get in no problem, they let anyone in with a heartbeat these days.
 
Last edited: