Jan 9, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey everyone, so I applied to dental schools this cycle (2019) and wanted some feedback on what my chances may be. I have an overall gpa of a 3.11 and I scored a 21 overall on the DAT. What's interesting about my score is that I actually scored low in some places and high in others. my scores are as follows:
Academic Average21
Biology18
General Chemistry20
Organic Chemistry20
Perceptual Ability19
Quantitative Reasoning23
Reading Comprehension25
Survey of the Natural Sciences19
(copied straight from ada lol). I have many hours of shadowing (500+) and over 2000 hours of work experience just as a dental assistant. Long story short I just wanted to know if I should have hope or not lol. thanks in advance for all replies!

Jan 9, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
When did you apply? Have you heard back from any schools yet? It is pretty late in the cycle

i applied really late (november) but thats because I didnt take the DAT until october. I do plan to reapply next cycle. with that said do I even have a chance for next cycle if I apple very early?

About the Ads
Aug 21, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey everyone, so I applied to dental schools this cycle (2019) and wanted some feedback on what my chances may be. I have an overall gpa of a 3.11 and I scored a 21 overall on the DAT. What's interesting about my score is that I actually scored low in some places and high in others. my scores are as follows:
Academic Average21
Biology18
General Chemistry20
Organic Chemistry20
Perceptual Ability19
Quantitative Reasoning23
Reading Comprehension25
Survey of the Natural Sciences19
(copied straight from ada lol). I have many hours of shadowing (500+) and over 2000 hours of work experience just as a dental assistant. Long story short I just wanted to know if I should have hope or not lol. thanks in advance for all replies!

What’s your sGPA? 3.11 is below average for matriculants and 21 is about average, maybe a little above. Apply broadly and you have a chance, especially at more expensive private schools. If next cycle does not work out, consider a masters or postbacc to show you can handle rigorous academics.

Alaskan _Polarbear

2+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2018
I say apply June next cycle. I have low stats like you (AA 19 TS 19 sGPA 3.13 oGPA 3.46) and I applied this cycle in June and got 4 interviews. I'm waited listed at 1 school, in limbo for another, and 2 interviews next week.

I do have research and volunteer hours in the 300s but same amount of shadowing and work hours.

You have a chance if I had one ! Hopefully I an update everyone when I get an acceptance but dont give up yet

Reactions: 1 user

WaveGoodbye

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
My overall gpa was a 3.13 and my sgpa was way lower, I got a 22AA and 20TS on the DAT. I did a master's program. If your Sgpa is where the overall is or lower, I would definitely look into it, I think it made my application way stronger. I had 2 interviews and 1 waitlist last cycle with lower stats. This cycle I had 3 interviews and 2 acceptances.

If you don't want want to waste the gap year, I would do something like that.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads