Do I have a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I applied to dental schools this cycle (2019) and wanted some feedback on what my chances may be. I have an overall gpa of a 3.11 and I scored a 21 overall on the DAT. What's interesting about my score is that I actually scored low in some places and high in others. my scores are as follows:
Academic Average21
Biology18
General Chemistry20
Organic Chemistry20
Perceptual Ability19
Quantitative Reasoning23
Reading Comprehension25
Survey of the Natural Sciences19
(copied straight from ada lol). I have many hours of shadowing (500+) and over 2000 hours of work experience just as a dental assistant. Long story short I just wanted to know if I should have hope or not lol. thanks in advance for all replies!

Members don't see this ad.

When did you apply? Have you heard back from any schools yet? It is pretty late in the cycle

When did you apply? Have you heard back from any schools yet? It is pretty late in the cycle

i applied really late (november) but thats because I didnt take the DAT until october. I do plan to reapply next cycle. with that said do I even have a chance for next cycle if I apple very early?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, so I applied to dental schools this cycle (2019) and wanted some feedback on what my chances may be. I have an overall gpa of a 3.11 and I scored a 21 overall on the DAT. What's interesting about my score is that I actually scored low in some places and high in others. my scores are as follows:
Academic Average21
Biology18
General Chemistry20
Organic Chemistry20
Perceptual Ability19
Quantitative Reasoning23
Reading Comprehension25
Survey of the Natural Sciences19
(copied straight from ada lol). I have many hours of shadowing (500+) and over 2000 hours of work experience just as a dental assistant. Long story short I just wanted to know if I should have hope or not lol. thanks in advance for all replies!

What’s your sGPA? 3.11 is below average for matriculants and 21 is about average, maybe a little above. Apply broadly and you have a chance, especially at more expensive private schools. If next cycle does not work out, consider a masters or postbacc to show you can handle rigorous academics.

I say apply June next cycle. I have low stats like you (AA 19 TS 19 sGPA 3.13 oGPA 3.46) and I applied this cycle in June and got 4 interviews. I'm waited listed at 1 school, in limbo for another, and 2 interviews next week.

I do have research and volunteer hours in the 300s but same amount of shadowing and work hours.

You have a chance if I had one ! Hopefully I an update everyone when I get an acceptance but dont give up yet

Reactions: 1 user