Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bratz_123

Reaction score
So right now am in undergrad and I had a rough first semester. I was at home had a rough family dynamic, suffered from bad mental health/illness worse than ever before, and was stressed about COVID,the election and a procedure I was going through. And ended the semester with a 2.6 gpa. I got a A,B and C.
I’m going to campus next semester to get away from everything and I’ve gotten help for my mental problems and am doing much better. I’ve also looked at what I did wrong last semester and made a plan on how to do better. My goal is to get all As next semester and then that would bring my gpa to a 3.48.
Is it hopeless for me? Should I give up or retake classes? I don’t feel that I couldn’t do well in the classes it’s just the mental state I was in didn’t allow me to do as well as I could’ve. But I worked really hard to get better. Idk I just feel like one rough semester might have ruined everything for me even though it wasn’t my full potential. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I got into dental school with a 3.15 overall GPA. Just chill out and work hard and it's going to be fine

Reactions: 1 user
So right now am in undergrad and I had a rough first semester. I was at home had a rough family dynamic, suffered from bad mental health/illness worse than ever before, and was stressed about COVID,the election and a procedure I was going through. And ended the semester with a 2.6 gpa. I got a A,B and C.
I’m going to campus next semester to get away from everything and I’ve gotten help for my mental problems and am doing much better. I’ve also looked at what I did wrong last semester and made a plan on how to do better. My goal is to get all As next semester and then that would bring my gpa to a 3.48.
Is it hopeless for me? Should I give up or retake classes? I don’t feel that I couldn’t do well in the classes it’s just the mental state I was in didn’t allow me to do as well as I could’ve. But I worked really hard to get better. Idk I just feel like one rough semester might have ruined everything for me even though it wasn’t my full potential. Any thoughts?
Relax, it was only your first semester. Dental schools usually dont take first semester at a new school srsly because they are aware of transition process. Just don't make this a habit and bring your gpa up.

just do better from now on
lots of people have a rough semester or two...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not hopeless, just get your ass in gear and start studying every day (including weekends) and being on top of your school work. Hold yourself accountable. Do well now because it's a hell of a lot harder later. And stressful. You can do it.

Reactions: 1 users
^What he said, plus, make sure you meet your goal of all A’s to get to a 3.48. It’s more than doable, don’t let yourself or others tell you otherwise. If you achieve this you’ll be right in line with average dental school applicants and will show a significant upward trend. I was a B student in college initially, but when I decided to go for it, I turned into an A student. The difference is the work you put in and your mentality.