Do I have a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MightyGoodDay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a graduating senior and am looking to go to P.T. school. My question is what are my odds of getting in to a good program? Unfortunately, in high school I didn't care too much about school and making great grades, but I did 39 credits worth of Dual-Enrolled classes and started out college with a 2.54 gpa! Also, I originally started out as a business major before switching my after my second year of college to Exercise Science. Since the switch, I haven't made any thing less than a "B" and when I transferred from the community college where I earned my A.A. at, to where I am currently, I have made 2 "b's' and the rest were "a" or "a-." I have a 3.1 overall gpa now, 3.8 gpa in my last 2 years, but not including whatever I make in the 17 credits I am taking this semester. Also, even though I will have earned my bachelor's, I still need to take Physics II and both chemistys to finish my prereq's for P.T. school. During this time I plan on retaking/taking a couple extra classes to help pull my gpa up.

Honestly, I think I could get my gpa to 3.3 when all is said and done. But, I'm worried that I still won't get in due to my low gpa. My math/science gpa is only like 2.7 from calc and everything in high school. Do you think programs will understand that I was "young and dumb" and look past that and see that after I found what I was interested in, switched majors, and started applying myself that my GPA doesn't really show who I really am?

Also, I'll have like 400 observation hours by the time I apply if that will help and I haven't taken my GRE yet

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would focus on less amount of volunteering experiences and increase your GPA to th 3.3 you're striving for the time being. Your hours are plenty for now, try to reach your GPA goals!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would focus on less amount of volunteering experiences and increase your GPA to th 3.3 you're striving for the time being. Your hours are plenty for now, try to reach your GPA goals!

Sorry, I didn't specify where those hours came from. Those hours are from my internship for my Bachelor's that I am finishing this summer. We are required to intern for 360 hours. But thanks, once I finish that, I am solely going to improve my gpa!

Been noticing lots of rude remarks by members recently.

I concur. I don't get why people have to be so rude when someone is just asking for some advice!

To the O.P. -- I would retake your pre-req courses if you got a C and try to get them up! Your hours seem fine, but a lot of schools want them in two different settings (ie outpatient and acute). Some of the schools will allow you to submit supplementary materials to explain any incongruities in your application packet. Also, if you haven't taken your GRE, try to get at least 1100. And write some great essays explaining your passion for PT. Schools don't JUST look at your GPA, but I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 3.0 overall and a 3.0 in your pre-reqs in order to be competitive! Good luck! :)

Yes, your chances are good! Just make sure to do pretty decent on the GRE (aim for AT LEAST 1000 combined). I was in the same position as you, with my freshman and sophmore years of undergrad were seriously hurting my GPA. But they definetly take the last 45 semester credit GPA into account when reviewing your application. Your overall GPA is better than mine, and I still got into the school I wanted to. You just have to be careful about WHERE you apply. Look for schools with more 'forgiving' acceptance rates.

For example, I looked for schools that admitted a high number of out-of-state applicants. There's only one PT school in the state I live (OR), and they base most their acceptance decisions off your GPA. That is reflected by their open-house tour and the average GPA of people admitted (which was 3.7). So I had to look for places out of state, that also had a lower GPA admittance rate.

Some places I applied were Chapman, Nova Southeastern, Midwestern U Glendale, Touro U Nevada. I'd definitely look into those programs.

sure. sounds good to me.

Sorry if I sounded rude on this reply. Seriously did not mean to. It's hard to say what your chances are. Initially when you said you had over 300-400 observations hours and an above 3.0 G.P.A.... I thought it was good enough... but what did heck do I know. Just reading through these postings, the GPA range for acceptance is wide (2.5-4.0). Obviously, you should be aiming high (above the baseline requirement) when you take your GRE.
Good luck and I hope you get in.

It is definitely possible! I had a 2.3 math gpa from freshman statistics with just over a 3.0 for the program I have been accepted to, and based off of my PTCAS numbers I was also invited to interview at six other programs although I was waitlisted for those. To prepare I made sure I shadowed in four different settings with distinctly different populations (take into account demographics as well as reason for needing PT) and have also worked at the front desk of an outpatient ortho clinic for 1.5 yrs...Make sure your GRE is strong, I had 1130 with 590V, 540M, 4.5 AW which I wasn't thrilled with but they worked! Also- stress in your essays the diversity you have experienced in clinic/life (include passion for PT, but think of how many people are athletes, experienced PT themselves, etc- make it unique!) and also that your last couple years' GPA has been strong (mine was awful, but I did independent research, served 30+ hours per week and took classes like wine tasting and sports psych my senior year....). Apply to several schools that are "safety", "hope for it", and "reach for it" and you will be fine. Just be confident and have faith, you can do this! :)

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to give me some words of encouragement! Now its time to finish strong, kill the GRE, and then apply to like 20 programs lol

This might be a stupid question,

but when the requirements have biology courses, does that mean they count every biology course that I have taken?
Or can we choose which biology course that I've taken?

I think schools don't like to see C's on your transcript because they may think you are not smart enough to pass. Retakes are showing you are serious. B's are acceptable, B+ A- are much better.

Then your ob exp. will matter. Image a person with GPA 3.1-3.3 and 100 hrs. of ob. exp. just enough to meet the basic requirements and you with GPA 3.1-3.3 and 1000 (one thousand) hrs. ob. exp. The schools at least think you are committed and not just stacking hours to impress them.