Do I have a shot - any and all opinions welcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdotsom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'd really welcome anybody's opinion on my current grades/MCAT/etc. I graudated from Washington University in St. Louis this past May 2007, degree in Biology with minors in PolSci/Business. I want to enter Med school in Fall of 09.

GPA overall - 3.00 (undergrad)
GPA Science - 2.74 (the gamekiller of my app) (undergrad)
MCAT - 10 Verbal, 10 Physical, 10 Biological, R in Writing (August 2006 exam)
Research - enough experience, I'm currently working for a doctor at the WashU medical school, a 2 year stint.
Personal - I am writing a strong one (hopefully), and I plan on getting in a good addendum/extra portion to explain my low grades in undergrad.

Since graduation, I've been taking a few night courses in 400 level bio classes to get A's. Not an official masters, but all the classes are applicable. My post bac GPA will be above a 3.5 at least, and I will have taken 7 tough science courses by December *when I'm hopefully starting to hear back from schools.

I wasted my undergraduate career - there is no doubt. But I am only 21 still, and I can bounce back. My only goal is my state school, University of Oklahoma, but they are a quality school and I have no expectations. Any honest opinions from you guys would be very appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking to attend a US allopathic school, you're definitely going to have to pull that GPA up (especially the BCMP). A 2.74 is well below the mean for matriculants, as you know. And unfortunately, if that's after 4 years of undergrad, it'll take years of post-bac classes to pull that up to even a 3.2 (even with straight As).

I agree that a strong post-bac showing will definitely help. But when you do apply, PLEASE do not just apply to the University of Oklahoma! Apply broadly and widely.

For alot of schools, your science GPA may put you under their cutoff. If you are considering Osteopathic schools, I would retake some of the science classes that you got lower than a C in, and you'll dramatically raise your GPAs (I keep hearing an unofficial 3.0 cutoff to even get a secondary). Other than your GPA I think that you are a good candidate. Really, you can apply, and keep working on raising your GPA. I was about the same last year this time, and I just worked to retake a few classes and get A's in my remaining undergrad classes, and I was able to get my GPA up to 3.1/3.0 and have acceptances.

Good luck to you!

Hi, I'd really welcome anybody's opinion on my current grades/MCAT/etc. I graudated from Washington University in St. Louis this past May 2007, degree in Biology with minors in PolSci/Business. I want to enter Med school in Fall of 09.

GPA overall - 3.00 (undergrad)
GPA Science - 2.74 (the gamekiller of my app) (undergrad)
MCAT - 10 Verbal, 10 Physical, 10 Biological, R in Writing (August 2006 exam)
Research - enough experience, I'm currently working for a doctor at the WashU medical school, a 2 year stint.
Personal - I am writing a strong one (hopefully), and I plan on getting in a good addendum/extra portion to explain my low grades in undergrad.

Since graduation, I've been taking a few night courses in 400 level bio classes to get A's. Not an official masters, but all the classes are applicable. My post bac GPA will be above a 3.5 at least, and I will have taken 7 tough science courses by December *when I'm hopefully starting to hear back from schools.

I wasted my undergraduate career - there is no doubt. But I am only 21 still, and I can bounce back. My only goal is my state school, University of Oklahoma, but they are a quality school and I have no expectations. Any honest opinions from you guys would be very appreciated.

I'd contact OU to see if they can give you any suggestions. Your MCAT is solid, and it sounds like you have good research experience. Have you done any medical volunteering? If not, that's always a good thing.

I'd suggest that you keep on plugging away with the science classes and do your best to get the BCPM up to at least a 3.0.

If you're looking to attend a US allopathic school, you're definitely going to have to pull that GPA up (especially the BCMP). A 2.74 is well below the mean for matriculants, as you know. And unfortunately, if that's after 4 years of undergrad, it'll take years of post-bac classes to pull that up to even a 3.2 (even with straight As).

I agree that a strong post-bac showing will definitely help. But when you do apply, PLEASE do not just apply to the University of Oklahoma! Apply broadly and widely.

I second Blade's response. You'll have to pull your grades up and definitely apply broadly.

Some additional thoughts about OU. The person who heads admissions is retiring, so things might change going forward, but how it works now is a little unique. They have a formula based on GPA and MCAT that they use to determine who gets interviews and when you get an interview. As I recall, the GPA is actually weighted a little more than the MCAT in the formula. If that's still going to be the system, I think it's pretty important that you get the GPA up a bit and focus on the number itself instead of the hardness of the classes you're taking. Also, that formula might not be the most friendly for your situation, so as the others have said, apply broadly.

Here is my vote:

I would say continue with the post-bac until you get the Sci GPA over the 3.0 mark. Then apply the first time. I wouldnt apply to too many schools because in all honesty you are probably going to be wasting your money. Pick 5-10 schools that are relatively lower tier and friendly to out of staters plus all of your state schools.

If you get in the first go round great, if not do a Special Masters Program. These are pricey but give you a lot of bang for your buck. There is a post-bac forum on SDN. You will get a lot of good advice regarding your options there.

I wouldnt apply to too many schools because in all honesty you are probably going to be wasting your money. Pick 5-10 schools that are relatively lower tier and friendly to out of staters plus all of your state schools.

While wasting money in an expensive process is a valid concern, OP, you should just know this is NOT the conventional wisdom. If you are a borderline student you benefit yourself applying to 20+ schools rather than apply to too few and end up a reapplicant. The best students often need 10 schools to get in because few people are good judges of where they will be perceived as a "good fit". If you already know of potential impediments to admission, you need to cast wider nets.

While wasting money in an expensive process is a valid concern, OP, you should just know this is NOT the conventional wisdom. If you are a borderline student you benefit yourself applying to 20+ schools rather than apply to too few and end up a reapplicant. The best students often need 10 schools to get in because few people are good judges of where they will be perceived as a "good fit". If you already know of potential impediments to admission, you need to cast wider nets.

I'm contradicting my earlier statement here, but the op is in a unique spot with her state school. She is a resident of a state that gives big preference to instate applicants and the school she's looking at has average stats that are below the national average. Following that, I can see where you could argue that if she can't get into her state school, she won't get into any allopathic school. She's also young and seems to be in a place where it's OK to hold off matriculation for a year.

Consequently, I can see where it might make sense to focus her first application on OU and throw in a few other schools. If that doesn't take, then reapply and do the full on apply lots of places thing. This is not advice that works for most applicants, but I think it's valid for applicants in states like Oklahoma.

Not viable for a US sllopathic school as things currently stand. DO... probably, but if you want the MD from a US school, you're gonna have to do some MAJOR work on the GPA; it wouldn't hurt to add a couple points to your MCAT either. Good luck!

Still disagree. You apply to the state school and that certainly is the best odds, but if you are going to apply elsewhere you have to apply broadly. No point even thinking about a reapplication -- you do it all or nothing or you don't apply yet. You don't contemplate being a reapplicant and hold back apps. One shot everywhere or don't apply yet at all. You never know what schools regard as a good fit. There are folks who have not gotten into their state school but have gotten into other schools -- one bad interview at your state school can make it your worst odds.

Well I applied to 10 schools, mainly because I didn't think I'd get it in to many others. My final stats were

2.84 - BCPM
3.27 - AO
3.03 - Cumulative (from WUSTL)
30R - MCAT (10,10,10)

And a pretty healthy set of activities, recommendations, an addendum explaining my GPA, and possibly a December letter explaining what I've done since summer (an A in Advanced Physiology, more research).

Due to a recommender completely shafting me, my apps were completed on 9/11. I still have yet to hear from 8 schools - of those, the only ones I think I have a far shot at are OU (since it's my state), SLU (since I've been in Missouri for 6 years, work with patients here, and got a rec from a big dog professor of theirs I work with), and Tulane (since I hear they appreciate the long road).

Just praying now. Thanks for your suggestions.

Well I applied to 10 schools, mainly because I didn't think I'd get it in to many others. My final stats were

2.84 - BCPM
3.27 - AO
3.03 - Cumulative (from WUSTL)
30R - MCAT (10,10,10)

And a pretty healthy set of activities, recommendations, an addendum explaining my GPA, and possibly a December letter explaining what I've done since summer (an A in Advanced Physiology, more research).

Due to a recommender completely shafting me, my apps were completed on 9/11. I still have yet to hear from 8 schools - of those, the only ones I think I have a far shot at are OU (since it's my state), SLU (since I've been in Missouri for 6 years, work with patients here, and got a rec from a big dog professor of theirs I work with), and Tulane (since I hear they appreciate the long road).

Just praying now. Thanks for your suggestions.

Send LOIs NOW to all your schools, stating your strengths as an applicant and fit with each school, and directly ask for interviews. It's a long shot but may work: I did this two weeks ago at 20 schools and scored an interview out of it! (It was at one of my state schools, but because of my unbalanced MCAT score, I was by no means a shoo-in to get even that.)

Good luck.

Cheers.

Yeah, I had planned on sending a December letter stating a "what I've done for the past few months" kind of thing. At this point I'm game for trying anything - I'll look into these LOIs and put one together.

I think your stats give you a good shot at DO schools. I interviewed at OUCOM. It's an awesome school. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

go DO... I'm a non-traditional student. I compared both M.D. and D.O. schools... FOR ME, the D.O. schools appeared to accomodate the non-traditional route better. If I could also recommend, volunteer somewhere on a rescue squad and get some patient care experience. It will help TREMENDOUSLY.

DCOM rocks. :)