Do I have a shot this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lafakads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I kinda had a late interest in coming into medicine so my EC's have suffered.

Basically I have a 3.71 in Chemical Engineering with a 30 (12/9/9) on the MCAT. However, I have 0 volunteering hours, 0 shadowing, and 0 research.

Good news is I start a research position for 20hrs/week and I start a scribe position soon 16hrs/week. Also I will be volunteering 4-8 hrs/week. And finally I am scheduled to shadow physicians but the hospital is making it hard on the physician to bring me in to shadow. I should be starting all of these positions at the start of May.

So my question is, is it worth it to apply this cycle? I'm mainly aiming for FL schools and I am Hispanic (Cuban). Or should I wait and build up my application for next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Without any decent ECs that are related to medicine, No.

Alright. I guess I should have a year of doing them Before I apply

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is good and your MCAT is average, but you're not going to get anywhere without any meaningful EC's. It's best to probably wait because trust me, you don't to reapply. Use this year to get lots of experience and also to have some fun before medical school (travel, etc.)

Gotcha. I think a year of scribing and volunteering with some research will help me. Might even retake the mcat or work a full time high paying job

I think a year of scribing and volunteering with some research will help me. Might even retake the mcat or work a full time high paying job
Your cGPA and MCAT score are fine. Your planned activities look good. I'd also suggest some regular nonmedical community service that helps those in need, maybe taking on a leadership role, if you have nothing in that category. By a year from now, your appplication will be in good shape for a successful application cycle.

How does your BCPM GPA look? Any hobbies, sports, or artistic endeavors?

my BCPM should be around a 3.6. If engineering courses count (some people said theirs counted, then it will go to like a 3.75.

I guess my main hobby would be powerlifting. I'm not really an artist at all lol.

Ideally I wouldnt like 2 years to get in but it will be worth it in the end.

Wait out a year. I'd predict an unsuccessful application cycle for this year if you were to do so.

1) my BCPM should be around a 3.6. If engineering courses count (some people said theirs counted, then it will go to like a 3.75.

2) I guess my main hobby would be powerlifting. I'm not really an artist at all lol.
1) Most engineering courses are nonscience for AMCAS (unless the course description supports that it's over 50% Bio, or somesuch), but are counted as science for AACOMAS DO med schools.

2) Adcomms like to know that you have leisuretime activities, so good.

Applying this year is going to be a major crapshoot without any real ECs. Your stats are good enough for an acceptance somewhere, but you gotta convince the adcoms you are coming into this with both eyes open.

With a year of solid ECs, I'd be very surprised if you didn't get admitted.

So if I were apply this cycle you guys would call me stupid right?

The process is long, arduous, expensive, and heartbreaking if it ends in no success. In the grand scheme of things 1 year is nothing and since you only recently decided you wanted to go into medicine, you could use more clinical exposure for more than just your application (to make sure it's right for you). I'd wait a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as a counter-point, I decided to bite the bullet and apply this past cycle with no research, no shadowing, no leadership, and started volunteering the same month I was submitting my application. I was successful applying EDP to my first-choice school.

Your chances are less than they would be with more EC's, but only you can decide if the chance at getting admitted a year early is worth the likelihood of having to re-apply.

So if I were apply this cycle you guys would call me stupid right?

i would. but if you were to get some good ECs over the next year, and you are part of the hispanic population that is considered URM, you would be solid for an acceptance, probably even to a top 50 school.

To clarify, I wouldn't call you stupid because of the poor chances, mainly because if you applied next year with good ECs, you should have a choice of schools. way better to be in that position.

i would. but if you were to get some good ECs over the next year, and you are part of the hispanic population that is considered URM, you would be solid for an acceptance, probably even to a top 50 school.

To clarify, I wouldn't call you stupid because of the poor chances, mainly because if you applied next year with good ECs, you should have a choice of schools. way better to be in that position.

Thanks for the advice. Honestly I would be happy with an acceptance anywhere. I'm not looking for the typical competitive residencies anyways.

Are reapplicants that much worse off than people applying for the first time?

Thanks for the advice. Honestly I would be happy with an acceptance anywhere. I'm not looking for the typical competitive residencies anyways.

You might be able to get into a DO school with your stats and upcoming ECs. MD probably not though.

Are reapplicants that much worse off than people applying for the first time?

It all depends on what you make of that extra year. If you sat on your ass, then yea, you are at a disadvantage. If you took that year to improve aspects of your application, then you are in a much better position.

It all depends on what you make of that extra year. If you sat on your ass, then yea, you are at a disadvantage. If you took that year to improve aspects of your application, then you are in a much better position.

Well this whole year I would be boosting my EC's as they go.

Hey all, I kinda had a late interest in coming into medicine so my EC's have suffered.

Basically I have a 3.71 in Chemical Engineering with a 30 (12/9/9) on the MCAT. However, I have 0 volunteering hours, 0 shadowing, and 0 research.

Good news is I start a research position for 20hrs/week and I start a scribe position soon 16hrs/week. Also I will be volunteering 4-8 hrs/week. And finally I am scheduled to shadow physicians but the hospital is making it hard on the physician to bring me in to shadow. I should be starting all of these positions at the start of May.

So my question is, is it worth it to apply this cycle? I'm mainly aiming for FL schools and I am Hispanic (Cuban). Or should I wait and build up my application for next cycle?

I would wait until next cycle at least. If you have 0 ECs currently, what are you going to write about on you PS and/or secondaries (which can ask about your clinical experiences, leadership, research, etc)? What are you going to talk about in your interviews (which focus on your experiences, not your grades/MCAT)? Your entire EC section is going to be blank (or will just have activities you just started). Adcomms will want to see that you've had exposure to the medical profession and have an idea of what you're getting yourself into. They'll want to see that you can deal with working with sick patients. I know it's tempting to just apply and get into med school, but it's probably a good idea to get some clinical experience to make sure this is what you want to do (or at least to show your commitment to the field).

Even though I had ECs during college, it was really during my gap years that I accumulated more impressive/meaningful ECs. The time off also gave me some perspective and confirmed that there's no other profession I'd rather be in. I'm glad I took off 2 years after college before med school (applied one year after college, takes a year to go through the app process).

You might feel like you won't want to get into competitive residencies now, but a lot of people change their minds in med school about specialties and places they want to go for residency. You never know.

Welp so far got invited to 3 interviews, attended 2 and canceled the third one. Got accepted to one school and waiting for a response from the other. Did get denied from about 3 or 4 schools tho.

I probably had about 100 hours of volunteering, maybe 40-50ish hours of shadowing and started Undergrad research by the time I submitted my AMCAS. Had no real "community" service position. I also tutored in undergrad for 1 semester and worked in a chemical plant for another semester, but was unrelated to medicine. Also put powerlifting and basketball as EC's (won intramural basketball at my school).

Happy I did apply tho!

Got accepted to one school and waiting for a response from the other.

-I probably had about 100 hours of volunteering,
-maybe 40-50ish hours of shadowing and
-started Undergrad research by the time I submitted my AMCAS. Had no real "community" service position.
-I also tutored in undergrad for 1 semester and
-worked in a chemical plant for another semester, but was unrelated to medicine.
-Also put powerlifting and basketball as EC's (won intramural basketball at my school).
It looks like you were highly motivated to fill in the gaps on your EC list, and that you did a good job. Well done. And congrats!