Do I have a shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktambe31

Reaction score
So i decided this year (Junior year) that I wanted to go into PT so my GPA isnt great (2.9). I decided to stop playing football so I can focus on school and improving my grades. I have about 100 hours of shadowing done right now. I still have to do physics and stats. for this upcoming year should i just wait until next year to apply or should i still apply this year? and should i re do some classes or just try and focus on the pre reqs I havent done?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I would wait to apply if your GPA is a 2.9. Most schools have a minimum of a 3.0 and won’t even look at applications that don’t meet that minimum. If you got less than a B in any pre-req, I would try to retake it if you have the time and money. Just focus on getting your GPA up this next year and getting a great score on the GRE because that can make up a little for a lower GPA! You’ll get there!

Reactions: 1 user
You stand a chance. You just have to be very smart about what you do from here on out.

As someone who applied a couple times and got into a few schools, here's my advice. You can take it or leave it.

1. Retake any course you have less than an A in. This may be overkill, but you'd rather do the extra classes and get in, than have to wait another year.
2. Gotta kill the GRE. Prep courses, books, flashcards, take a lot of practice test.
3. Diversify hours. Doesn't have to be a lot of hours, just different settings. Schools want interviewees to have a rounded view of therapy.
4. Apply smart. More schools isn't always better. Look at who gets the most and least applicants. Diversify your choices by having higher percentage schools in the line-up (both public and private) but also, be willing to go wherever.
5. Find your top choice school. Schools have different applicants they like to take and maybe your top choice has a certain type of applicant they like so tailor your application to the school if possible. I've known friends that have been admitted to programs because they spoke with current students and professors and found the secret sauce to admission. Be careful though, since contacting a program too much can actually hurt your chances. So be smart.
6. Look at developing programs. They typically receive less applicants being that the program is developing. To my knowledge no developing program has not become accredited...but students who attend do run that risk. If that is a road you're willing to travel, make sure that the administration has options in place to place students in another accredited program.

make these changes NOW while you are in undergrad. After graduating those steps become much, MUCH harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
You stand a chance. You just have to be very smart about what you do from here on out.

As someone who applied a couple times and got into a few schools, here's my advice. You can take it or leave it.

1. Retake any course you have less than an A in. This may be overkill, but you'd rather do the extra classes and get in, than have to wait another year.
2. Gotta kill the GRE. Prep courses, books, flashcards, take a lot of practice test.
3. Diversify hours. Doesn't have to be a lot of hours, just different settings. Schools want interviewees to have a rounded view of therapy.
4. Apply smart. More schools isn't always better. Look at who gets the most and least applicants. Diversify your choices by having higher percentage schools in the line-up (both public and private) but also, be willing to go wherever.
5. Find your top choice school. Schools have different applicants they like to take and maybe your top choice has a certain type of applicant they like so tailor your application to the school if possible. I've known friends that have been admitted to programs because they spoke with current students and professors and found the secret sauce to admission. Be careful though, since contacting a program too much can actually hurt your chances. So be smart.
6. Look at developing programs. They typically receive less applicants being that the program is developing. To my knowledge no developing program has not become accredited...but students who attend do run that risk. If that is a road you're willing to travel, make sure that the administration has options in place to place students in another accredited program.

make these changes NOW while you are in undergrad. After graduating those steps become much, MUCH harder.
Thank you so Ive looked at about 6 schools do you think thats enough or should i keep looking at more?

Just for your faith. I got acccepted at my first shot with 2.86 cGPA even after I retook all 11 F's classes during undergrad and brought it up to 3.56 if the higher grades are taken. My PTCAS gpa was still 2.86. GRE wasnt strong with 146V 165Q 3W. I think what helped me was a diversity in observation settings. I was in 4 different settings. Try to look at schools that focus on your strengths. And if lucky enough, be yourself at the interview.

Thank you so Ive looked at about 6 schools do you think thats enough or should i keep looking at more?

Add more if you feel you would have a realistic chance with more schools. If you have the spare money and a decent shot go for it.

Add more if you feel you would have a realistic chance with more schools. If you have the spare money and a decent shot go for it.
got it so for this summer Im trying to retake about 4 classes that I have Cs thats where I should start correct?

There are schools that look only at the last 60 units you took, so find those schools. Loma Linda used to be one of them.
Contact schools and ask their stats for the last couple of years regarding the average GPA of students who got accepted in the program. If those GPAs are not close to yours, do not waste you time and money to apply to those schools.
Check stats for the number of people applied to the school and number of people who got accepted. Depending on school, acceptance rate can vary between 3-20%. Don't apply to schools that have low acceptance rate (let's say 1200 applicants and the class is only 30 students) - they will probably accept people with higher stats than yours.
You do have a chance to get in PT school after you fix your GPA. Good luck!

There are schools that look only at the last 60 units you took, so find those schools. Loma Linda used to be one of them.
Contact schools and ask their stats for the last couple of years regarding the average GPA of students who got accepted in the program. If those GPAs are not close to yours, do not waste you time and money to apply to those schools.
Check stats for the number of people applied to the school and number of people who got accepted. Depending on school, acceptance rate can vary between 3-20%. Don't apply to schools that have low acceptance rate (let's say 1200 applicants and the class is only 30 students) - they will probably accept people with higher stats than yours.
You do have a chance to get in PT school after you fix your GPA. Good luck!
so should i try and retake classes or should i focus on the classes i havent taken yet that are pre reqs?

I'm actually embarrassed to share this since they are so low, but I'll do it to give others hope and show that they can get in with sub 3.0 GPAs

Overall GPA: 2.76 (College was an interesting time in my life l o l)
Pre-Req GPA:2.93
GRE: 149V, 151M, 3.5 W

Volunteer/Work experience:

PT Aide @ outpatient clinic: 1 year, 500~ hours
Rehab Tech @ Morristown Medical Center: 3 years, 2500~ hours (I honestly think this is what helped me a ton)

While retaking classes would provide a better chance of acceptance, you do have a shot. Youre still a junior, retake some of your classes and diversify your experience in the field.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm actually embarrassed to share this since they are so low, but I'll do it to give others hope and show that they can get in with sub 3.0 GPAs

Overall GPA: 2.76 (College was an interesting time in my life l o l)
Pre-Req GPA:2.93
GRE: 149V, 151M, 3.5 W

Volunteer/Work experience:

PT Aide @ outpatient clinic: 1 year, 500~ hours
Rehab Tech @ Morristown Medical Center: 3 years, 2500~ hours (I honestly think this is what helped me a ton)

While retaking classes would provide a better chance of acceptance, you do have a shot. Youre still a junior, retake some of your classes and diversify your experience in the field.
so im doing some outpatient and some acute shadowing is there anything else I should do?

so should i try and retake classes or should i focus on the classes i havent taken yet that are pre reqs?
Do not retake classes that are not pre-reqs. Retake pre-reqs if you got less than a B. But depending on your new pre-reqs GPA, you probably will be ok with 1 pre-req C.
Shadowing in outpatient and acute is good enough and should satisfy most of the schools unless stated they want something more.

So i decided this year (Junior year) that I wanted to go into PT so my GPA isnt great (2.9). I decided to stop playing football so I can focus on school and improving my grades. I have about 100 hours of shadowing done right now. I still have to do physics and stats. for this upcoming year should i just wait until next year to apply or should i still apply this year? and should i re do some classes or just try and focus on the pre reqs I havent done?

You have a chance! Take it from me, my undergrad gpa is a 2.998. I took time retaking some classes I got Cs and Bs in and finished up my prereqs. I did average on the GRE. I broke 300 by just a point and got a 4.5 on the writing. I got accepted to 4 of the 11 schools I applied to! I’m still waitlisted to 2 schools. So I guess 6 out of 11 is great for an undergrad gpa like mines. This is my first time applying as well. So point is, don’t feel discouraged. Focus on raising the gpa and schools will see how much dedication you’re putting in now.

You have a chance! Take it from me, my undergrad gpa is a 2.998. I took time retaking some classes I got Cs and Bs in and finished up my prereqs. I did average on the GRE. I broke 300 by just a point and got a 4.5 on the writing. I got accepted to 4 of the 11 schools I applied to! I’m still waitlisted to 2 schools. So I guess 6 out of 11 is great for an undergrad gpa like mines. This is my first time applying as well. So point is, don’t feel discouraged. Focus on raising the gpa and schools will see how much dedication you’re putting in now.
Thank you! what schools did you apply to? and what did you use to study for the gre?

Thank you! what schools did you apply to? and what did you use to study for the gre?

I applied to Franklin Pierce, University of Washington, AT Still, Pacific University, TUN, MSMU, CSU Fresno, CSULB, Chapman, LLU, and Western. I only used magoosh! I recommend it! It’s easy to use and helps when you’re taking the computer test version.

I applied to Franklin Pierce, University of Washington, AT Still, Pacific University, TUN, MSMU, CSU Fresno, CSULB, Chapman, LLU, and Western. I only used magoosh! I recommend it! It’s easy to use and helps when you’re taking the computer test version.
Where will you be accepting your seat??

Yes you have a shot!

I did poorly my first 2.5 years of undergrad and had multiple Cs (Bio I, Chem I and II, Organic Chem II, Calc I and II). I never retook any classes although my GPA, which hovered around 3.0 throughout the first half of undergrad, was held up by the other non-science classes I took. In order to boost my science GPA for my applications, I took some pre-reqs at my community college (Statistics, Medical Terminology, an Upper Level Bio) which I would definitely recommend as PT schools still accepted those classes for pre-reqs and it was cheaper and easier (but I still felt I learned the material). My last 1.5 semesters I really focused and got all As and Bs. During my PT school interviews when asked to discuss my academic performance I acknowledged the bad grades but emphasized the upward trend of my grades/GPA and how my grades improved even as I was taking upper level courses. I eventually got my university GPA up to a 3.378 but it took a LOT of studying and my last 3 semesters I crammed in as many credits as I could handle and got As and Bs in all of them.

I do think you should try to get your GPA up before applying but there's nothing wrong with waiting to apply. I took a year off to finish up my pre-reqs at community college and dedicate time to studying for the GRE (there was no way I could have found time to study for it while I was trying to salvage my GPA my last few semesters) and I did well with both. I applied to 11 schools, was offered 4 interviews, interviewed at 3 schools, and was accepted to 2 of the schools I interviewed at and waitlisted for the 3rd which I eventually was accepted to.

Good luck and study hard!

Please keep in mind of these financial factors.

When you apply, each school may be somewhere from $100-$300
- Program app fee (mine were $50-75)
- GRE sending fee (first 4 are free, then $27 each)
- PTCAS fee (first is$150, then $50 for each after)
- Transcript fee

This depends on your region, but some private programs are much easier to get into compared to public programs. However, the tuition is almost tripled.

Hmu if you need 1 on 1 guidance. I got serious with the PT route in my senior year of undergrad, and got into multiple programs after taking a strategic gap year. Never think you're too late!