Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiggidyTooth

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a long time viewer and a first time poster and am in need of some opinions and advice. After a dismal stint at a very reputable university, where I completed all of my premedical requirements and earned a degree in economics with a cum GPA of 2.5 I participated in biomedical research for 2 years where I was published a few times, one paper where I am first authour. I went on to graduate school which I am about to complete after 2 years. I will earn a master's degree in computational biology and have a Graduate GPA of 3.9. As you can see, a lot of growing up had been done in the process. I am planning on taking the MCAT in the spring and have good, but not great EC's. Assuming I do well on the MCAT will I have a shot at becoming a DO, or is more remedial work required to get my undergrad GPA up? I am 26 years old and feel life catching up to me. Medical school is a dream but I didn't feel that a post-bac program was a good option before entering grad school due to future prospects. What good is post-bac certificate when looking for a job? So, let me now if you guys think my stats stand a chance of making the cut or not.

A sincere thanks to all

Tooth

Members don't see this ad.

There's reallly no way to improve your undergrad GPA but your graduate GPA rocks. Just be candid in your interviews because they will probably ask about the poor undergrad GPA. If you do well on the MCAT and can score around a 30 then most DO schools will take you. Being published helps also. It seems like your a strong applicant so if it's your dreaam thejn go for it!:D

Thanks for the ecouraging reply!

Does anyone else have any experience with applying to osteopathic school with this kind of back ground? Any comments and/or opinions would be much appreciated.

Tooth

Members don't see this ad :)
I just thought I would put my two cents worth in....
I am currently a first year at UHS-COM in Kansas City. I obtained my BS in 1999 in Physical Education with an emphasis in Athletic Training. I then went to a junior college and obtained my pre-recs for med school ( my decision to enter medicine was right before I graduated). While attending the juco for two years, I worked as a nurse's aide and then got involved in respiratory therapy. I also was an EMT and got certified as a phlebotomist. My grades were ok (~3.4) but my MCAT sucked (21). But I was fortunate enough to be accepted to UHS; which has a great education and program by the way!!

I also have a wife and four kids ( the older two are foster nieces of my wife) that don't live with me ( they live about three hours away). So I go home every weekend to see them, except before quizzes/exams.

So, as you can see, my scores weren't great, but I had a lot of ECs and such, plus tons of experience. Each applicant brings something unique to each class, so it is very difficult to assess whether someone will get accepted or not. More often than not, if you have decent scores and some sort of experience, you will gain acceptance. Maybe not on the first time, but if you want it bad enough, you will go for it.

Anyway, I need to get back to studying.....we have finals this week!!!! YIKES!

Please feel free to email me ([email protected]) or PM me on here. I will be more than happy to answer any questions regarding medical school

Chris

You totally have a shot! Even though I'm not a numbers person -- they speak volumes about your increased maturity and drive to be a physician. Study hard for the MCAT and keep working at it. You'll get it if you really want it. Best wishes.

Hi TiggidyTooth,

If you retake the pre-med classes that you had trouble with the AACOM, unlike the AAMC, will count your most rececnt grades only when they compute your gpa. Consider taking BCPO over again in a one year post bac program. Besides, this will also help your MCAT performancen tremendously.

Or if you did particularly bad in one class, like a D, take it over again this coming summer. Changing just one low grade can raise a gpa significantly.

Good luck

TiggidyTooth,

I disagree slightly with retaking courses at this stage in your career. It is because of students like yourself that the bottem end of the acceptable range of GPA's is so low for most schools. The adcoms realize that there will be exceptions to the rule with applicants. You have shown with your graduate gpa that you can compete academically. You needent necessarily waste the time retaking some course at a undergraduate institution just to bolster your GPA. One or two classes shouldn't help significantly, especially if you go from just a C to a B. Concentrate on the MCAT. If you do really well on the MCAT (IE 27+) you will be a shoe in for most DO schools. They really want to see what you are able to do now, not 5 years ago. Who knows what was going on in your life when you took those UG classes. Just show the adcoms that you are capable now. Smoke the MCAT and you are in!

Good Luck,

WBDO

Tiggidy Tooth,
I am glad to hear someone else is in the same situation as me. I graduated with excellent grades with a Master's in Exercise Phys. last year after an undergrad performance that left something to be desired. I recently met with the director of med. ed. at the hospital I work for and he told me that many boards look at your progression and acheivements since finishing undergrad if you are a returning student. I hope he is right! I have recently decided to go to med. school also to follow my dream and will hope that kicking ass on the MCAT will make up for what I screwed up five years ago.
GOOD LUCK!