Should I shoot my shot next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apply next cycle?

• Yes

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Need more GPA repair work

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Just give up already!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

roselilydrop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Non-traditional student here, 30 y/o now.

Metrics:
- started from CC, transferred to UC (didn't do so great in UC)
- current AMCAS cGPA: 3.35, sGPA: 3.23; AACOMAS cGPA: 3.35, sGPA: 3.15 (this is after 28 credits of DIY post bacc at a community college)
- DIY post bacc at CC consisted of: (Kinesiology, Intro to the Human Body, Human Physiology, Human Anatomy, Human Nutrition, Immunology, Microbiology) -- all at 4.0
- 1700+ hours of academic science research (co-author of a Nature publication)
- 1500+ hours clinical patient care as a medical assistant in 2019 (9 months)
- 200-300 hours clinical volunteering
- 70 hours shadowing
- 50-100 hours non-clinical volunteering
- 50-100 hours leadership/mentorship/tutoring underserved students
- planned MCAT for Jan. 2022

Absurdly high undergrad debt:
- private student loan of 110k
- federal student loan of 42k
(these are going to grow with further deferment, interests will be compounding)

Recently, a formal post-bacc with linkage accepted me, and I was ready to fly there with my family. Then, received a phone call from their financial department on the same day we were suppose to fly there, stating that they could not approve my private loan (which only grants funding to degree seeking students). By this time, it was too late for me to accept the other offers to other programs (which were degree granting masters in biomedical sciences at DO schools).

At this point, I am at a loss. My parents see me as a failure, as I do myself. Dealing with massive student debt, low paying job with my Biology degree from undergrad, should I just give up the pursuit of medicine and pivot?

Thank you so much for reading thus far. Any guidance or insights would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give up Hope. Prepare for MCAT to get a good score. Apply to DO schools and keep adding more hrs to your clinical experience. Keep a backup plan like getting into Masters programs with linkage to DO schools. I think things will work out for you . Good Luck.

Continue doing a diy post-bac and study hard for the MCAT. A masters is a waste of time and money.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't waste more money on SMP/master. Just study for MCAT and do well so it can compensate for your low gpa. Keep working and save some $$

Thank you sincerely to all for your insights and guidance. Will update with an actual MCAT score by next year!🤞

Reactions: 1 user
There is no way to predict unless you take the MCAT. I will say that a high MCAT (510+) will def offset that gpa (which isn’t bad for DO) and open a lot of doors for you. It would probably give you a chance at your state MD school. Might get a lot of flak for this, but the MCAT is the single most important component of an application. Doing well on Standardized exams is essential for any budding doc.

Reactions: 1 user
Just in case you're looking for hope, I just turned 30 and recently got accepted to a DO school! I had a 513 MCAT with a 3.33 cGPA and a 3.49 sGPA so with a good MCAT your GPA should be close enough to get you some love.