Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerber85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've met with a number of MDs (one who has become a good friend) and all tell me, just by looking at my CV and not knowing my grades or MCAT; "get a higher MCAT score, you're a great applicant".

-My UGrad GPA is a 2.9/3.0
-The sci GPA is higher, but have I haven't calculated it.
-I have 4 publications
-3 of which were posters in conferences (national)
-I volunteer for the Boston Athletic Association as Medical Operations (over 10 hours accumulated so far)
-I interned in a cardiac rehab facility (Phase II, III, and IV) for 8 months as a cardiac physiologist
-I studied abroad for a year (Israel)
-I have an MS in human integrative physiology & energy metabolism
-5 years in a clinical research lab (with direct clinical experience that spans my junior and senior year through my graduate program) studying type 2 diabetes and human physiology
-I'm taking the MCAT in January, aiming for a 33+ (so far I've been fairing well on practice exams)
-
I am taking higher level ugrad classes through BU to boost my GPA a bit (this semester medical microbio and immuno and next sem is path and pharm)

I am planning on a number of MD & DO schools, but 2-3 SMP programs as backups.

Any shot in hell for MD or DO with what I have on the table right now?

Any help/insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's really hard to predict how you'll fare without an actual MCAT score. Even with a 33 MCAT, I've heard you should try to get your cGPA above a 3.0 because that's a cutoff for some schools. I assume you're applying next year? If so a 4.0 and 16+ credits a semester could help boost your GPA. (Are you still taking classes?)

If I were in your shoes, I'd not only push to get a great MCAT score but take the extra classes needed to repair my GPA. I'd also apply broadly to DO schools who might be more forgiving of your GPA in light of your experience and SMPs in case that plan doesn't work.

Good luck! I started my post-bacc with a GPA just over 3.0 and was able to get it to a 3.4.

Obviously the MD's you've talked to are NOT on medical school faculty. rightnow you're not competitive for DO or MD. If you can the the cGPA >3.0, you'll be competetive for some DO programs (but not mine). You should be int he 3.4 range minimum for DO schools, and 3.6 (min) for any MD school..perhaps a tad lower for some state schools.

So I've met with a number of MDs (one who has become a good friend) and all tell me, just by looking at my CV and not knowing my grades or MCAT; "get a higher MCAT score, you're a great applicant".

-My UGrad GPA is a 2.9/3.0
-The sci GPA is higher, but have I haven't calculated it.
-I have 4 publications
-3 of which were posters in conferences (national)
-I volunteer for the Boston Athletic Association as Medical Operations (over 10 hours accumulated so far)
-I interned in a cardiac rehab facility (Phase II, III, and IV) for 8 months as a cardiac physiologist
-I studied abroad for a year (Israel)
-I have an MS in human integrative physiology & energy metabolism
-5 years in a clinical research lab (with direct clinical experience that spans my junior and senior year through my graduate program) studying type 2 diabetes and human physiology
-I'm taking the MCAT in January, aiming for a 33+ (so far I've been fairing well on practice exams)
-
I am taking higher level ugrad classes through BU to boost my GPA a bit (this semester medical microbio and immuno and next sem is path and pharm)

I am planning on a number of MD & DO schools, but 2-3 SMP programs as backups.

Any shot in hell for MD or DO with what I have on the table right now?

Any help/insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously the MD's you've talked to are NOT on medical school faculty. rightnow you're not competitive for DO or MD. If you can the the cGPA >3.0, you'll be competetive for some DO programs (but not mine). You should be int he 3.4 range minimum for DO schools, and 3.6 (min) for any MD school..perhaps a tad lower for some state schools.

Actually, they were on medical school faculty...

Boston University.
One was from Partners Affiliation (from the MGH//Brigham//etc)
Another from Tufts.

I was told b/c I have an MS with a good GPA, and published, and I'm older.. 5+ years removed from ugrad,I'll be held in a different light as more serious...

BUT, I was told, I need a SOLID MCAT score that will determine my fate. I'm not sure how old you both are, but I was seeking outsider information. I'm going to lean on the advice of the MD's I sought.

Thanks for your input :)

If your GPA is even slightly under 3.0 as calculated by aacomas..you will be auto screened by most DO schools. I know cause it happened to me, but I retook a bunch of courses so I am good now.

As for MD, a MS degree is viewed more as an EC than an additional GPA..this is because MS programs often have grade inflation.

At this point, I would say concentrate on DO schools unless you get like a 34+ on your MCAT.

Concur with this STRONGLY. Your uGPA will simply get you autoscreened out. If the faculty you talk to have any connections with the Admission committeea of their schools (assuming they're not simply adjuncts or clincial faculty who never actually teach in the first two years), youmight ask them to put in a good word for you to get you "specialed" and get an interview you might not otherwise get.

If your GPA is even slightly under 3.0 as calculated by aacomas..you will be auto screened by most DO schools. I know cause it happened to me, but I retook a bunch of courses so I am good now.

As for MD, a MS degree is viewed more as an EC than an additional GPA..this is because MS programs often have grade inflation.

At this point, I would say concentrate on DO schools unless you get like a 34+ on your MCAT.