School List/WAMC - Thinking DO is my best shot URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obiY

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do your GPAs include your post bacc courses? If not figure your GPAs out with your post bacc grades included. If your post bacc grades are included what are your GPAs from college without your post bacc grades.
What was your first MCAT score. Application reviewers see all of your scores. Even if a school only considers the most recent score or the best score, etc. all scores are seen and there is no accounting for biases towards for bad scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Do your GPAs include your post bacc courses? If not figure your GPAs out with your post bacc grades included. If your post bacc grades are included what are your GPAs from college without your post bacc grades.
What was your first MCAT score. Application reviewers see all of your scores. Even if a school only considers the most recent score or the best score, etc. all scores are seen and there is no accounting for biases towards for bad scores.
Yes, 3.05 cGPA is included with post bacc courses since my cGPA was 2.6 after leaving undergrad. The first MCAT attempt was a 488, should have honestly voided it since I did not prepare myself in the best way and wasn't honest with my abilities. I was scoring above 500+ on almost every FL but 9/10 test day was not it for me. I am willing to take the MCAT again but know it will take a couple more months of work. Tough looks. Still worth a shot a DO broadly?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not ready to apply with a MCAT of 496 and a cGPA of 3.05 and a sGPA of 2.84 . You should take additional post bacc courses in order to increase your sGPA to 3.0 . Otherwise, you could be screened out at many schools. You will also need to retake the MCAT and score at least 500.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, 3.05 cGPA is included with post bacc courses since my cGPA was 2.6 after leaving undergrad. The first MCAT attempt was a 488, should have honestly voided it since I did not prepare myself in the best way and wasn't honest with my abilities. I was scoring above 500+ on almost every FL but 9/10 test day was not it for me. I am willing to take the MCAT again but know it will take a couple more months of work. Tough looks. Still worth a shot a DO broadly?
I don’t think so. Schools will see your multiple MCAT scores and they will see your very low undergrad GPAs. Your ECs are pretty weak too. You have some work to do to even start to become competitive. What makes you think you are competitive for DO schools? Just because they are more forgiving doesn’t mean DO schools have no standards.
Remember there is no hurry. Good luck as you decide what to do.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think so. Schools will see your multiple MCAT scores and they will see your very low undergrad GPAs. Your ECs are pretty weak too. You have some work to do to even start to become competitive. What makes you think you are competitive for DO schools? Just because they are more forgiving doesn’t mean DO schools have no standards.
Remember there is no hurry. Good luck as you decide what to do.
I was hoping a higher MCAT score would have been able to offset my pre-med performance since my 40 credit hr post bacc was at a 3.85 but sadly that's not the case. Hard to move cGPA/sGPA with 160+ credit hrs the last 4+ years but taking other upper div science classes would be a must to raise them above 3 for each. Never got into research during my undergrad so thinking my best bet is to find clinical exp via my new NA-C license. Going to take time and shadow multiple Drs is my best bet