Do I have a shot ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Q

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 22 year old african american male that went to a "southern IVY league school" where I had a 3.1 GPA. I attended grad school there for a year and also had a 3.1 GPA. I graduated from grad school in the summer with a masters degree in a biological science and now I work in clinical research at a medical school in the south. I should be apart of 2-3 publications within the next year.

My best friend and roommate passed away at the end of my sophomore year in college and I had a huge drop in academic performance for 3 semesters (spring 09 to spring 10). Instead of taking taking incompletes and finishing in the fall, I was so over school that just took the exams and bombed them. In retrospect, I shouldn't have but I wasnt in the best state of mind. I was down and out for a year as I tried to cope with my loss living in the 2 BR apartment that meant for my buddy and I. I recovered for senior year, and my GPA if you subtract those bad semesters is 3.35

I have 3 publications (2 of which I am the first author), have volunteered alot, traveled to South America to do service work, and worked as a medical scribe in emergency pediatrics and general ER for 2 summers in undergrade.

I also participated in undergraduate biomedical research programs for 5 summers from high school to my senior year in college. I've worked in underrepresented communities as a tutor and as a health educator (HIV/AIDs and STD awareness/prevention) and most of my service work has been with youth and underserved communities.

I have yet to take the MCAT (studying currently) and I would like to attend a US MD school. I am willing to go anywhere in the country to do so.

Do I have a remote chance? And if so, what MCAT score/range would make me more attractive as an applicant (33-35?). Also, if I am a legitimate candidate, which schools do I have the best shot at getting into?

Thanks guys,

Q

Members don't see this ad.

Its really hard to say. Your GPAs (undergrad and grad) are very low for MD schools. You'd really have to get in the realm of a 35+, but I'm not sure that'll really make up for your GPA.

As a URM, you might have a shot if you apply smart, as I know a few URMs with 3.1-3.3s that got in with 33-35 MCAT scores, but it will be a reach, and will require you to apply early and broadly. Its really a toss up though. You won't know for sure until you apply.

On the plus side, if you get a 30+, you'll have a good shot at a lot of DO schools.

I'm not considering DOs or Caribbean schools based off what I see daily at the hospital I work at. Id say less than 5% of the residents at our prestigious institution come from those schools--and residency is what really matters in the end. It doesn't seem to be worth the investment

Members don't see this ad :)
I would get that prestigious, Ivy League mentality and throw it out. Your GPA is really low especially with being a grad student. I see your significant event in your life but at the same time, it will be really hard to let adcoms see you. I would say your best bet is your URM status and possibility of a high MCAT, but face it. You are fighting an up hill battle and every point of your MCAT will be noticed.

I'm not considering DOs or Caribbean schools based off what I see daily at the hospital I work at. Id say less than 5% of the residents at our prestigious institution come from those schools--and residency is what really matters in the end. It doesn't seem to be worth the investment

Be more proactive and read about DO's. Figure out why is it that less than 5% at the school you work at come from osteopathic med schools. Then you can judge intelligently. BTW even if you attend an Allo school are you guaranteed acceptance to a prestigious residency?..I don't see the logic in your argument.

I would get that prestigious, Ivy League mentality and throw it out. Your GPA is really low especially with being a grad student. I see your significant event in your life but at the same time, it will be really hard to let adcoms see you. I would say your best bet is your URM status and possibility of a high MCAT, but face it. You are fighting an up hill battle and every point of your MCAT will be noticed.

I didnt mean for it to come across as an elitist statement. I understand the predicament I am in. What I meant is that I see more "lower" tier MDs matriculate to highly desired residency spots more than I see DOs. I'd have no problem going to a lower tier school. It's just that I know of a lot of DOs and Caribbean grads that didnt match. With this economy, and the price of GMEdu, I have to consider all ends of the investment.

Be more proactive and read about DO's. Figure out why is it that less than 5% at the school you work at come from osteopathic med schools. Then you can judge intelligently. BTW even if you attend an Allo school are you guaranteed acceptance to a prestigious residency?..I don't see the logic in your argument.

The chief in our sept is a DO. If I could ever get a hold of him, I'd ask him.

The chief in our sept is a DO. If I could ever get a hold of him, I'd ask him.

I'd be great if you could. But also forums in this site are a good resource, especially the med student forums and the resident ones. Do you really know a lot of DO's that did not match anywhere? The DO that does not match is very very rare, much less frequent that Carib. Now, are there US MD's that don't match?

here are the stats
for 2009-2010 match:

3631 total DO graduates participating in both AOA and ACGME.
53 total DO graduates that did not match either AOA or ACGME....

And this number (53) is certainly even lower because in this report the AOA data do not include post- match position placements (scramble) and do include students who do not graduate by the end of the academic year

source:
http://www.aacom.org/data/graduates/Documents/GMEenroll2009-10.pdf

Last edited:
Your gpa is awful and your grad gpa is even worse considering they inflate grades in grad programs. Unless you rock the MCAT your chances at MD are bleak.

what about a lower tier school? I don't necessarily need to go to the John Hopkins of the world..I wouldn't mind that, if actually like that but I have to consider the position I put myself in.

All I need is a foot in the door

what about a lower tier school? I don't necessarily need to go to the John Hopkins of the world..I wouldn't mind that, if actually like that but I have to consider the position I put myself in.

All I need is a foot in the door

It is impossible to predict without an MCAT score. Given the story, some adcoms here or there might throw you an interview. It is just so competitive why offer a spot to someone with a shotty past when there are plenty of perfect candidates? I honestly don't know the kind of edge being an URM gives but it won't help much without a stellar MCAT. The 33-35 MCAT would be what you definitely need.

What is a southern Ivy League school? Legitimately curious as to what that means.

One of the better schools in the south. The school is ranked in the top 65 schools in the country yearly.

Not trying to be "smug". Sorry if its coming across that way.

Your best bet is to ask this after you have taken the MCAT. If you really want this, then you are a legitimate candidate, but it is difficult to suggest schools without that MCAT score. It is easy enough to say that you need a 33-35 to compensate for your low ugrad gpa and grad gpa, but it's a little more difficult to actually get those scores.

You also may want to start opening up to the idea of DO.

I don't have much experience but based on what I have read from admissions, ethnicity plays a role (your race was one of the first things you mentioned). The numbers schools list are only averages, meaning there are people who have gotten in with lower gpa and higher gpa averages. If you kill the MCAT, participate in EC.. you may have a chance at a lower tier school. Why not give it a shot? At this point, you cannot lose. Take that MCAT. If things don't pan out, go the DO route. If you do well in med school you, will definitely get a job and you will definitely earn $. Do with what you have. Everything happens for a reason!

Good luck

How the hell does someone get in with under a 2.0 GPA..... HOW?!

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf

Get a 27-29 MCAT and you'll have a 70% chance of getting into medical school.

People, those numbers are highly skewed by schools with specific social mission to turn out doctors who will help underserved communities. For example, about 1 in 5 of URMs nationwide attend either an HBCU or a school located in PR. Those particular schools really deprioritize GPA/MCAT in their admissions decisions owing to their social mission.

For URM matriculants who don't go to these schools, their average stats are much closer to their school's overall average than these cited numbers would imply.

OP, as long as your application matches up well with the school's mission (read: lots of volunteering and community work, compelling personal statement), then you have a decent shot at getting in despite a less-than-stellar GPA/MCAT. Apply broadly and early so your application will get looked at by many admissions committees.