Do I Have Any Chance At All???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiring MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post but I have been reading this site for a while now. I'm sure what I'm asking has been asked about 1000 times already by 1000 different people.

Right now I'm 25 PCT and about to graduate from a 2 year nursing program in May. Since working in the hospital for about a year now and being in hospitals from my clinical rotations, I have come to the conclusion that I would much rather become a doctor than a nurse. I mean nursing is great and all and a very important part of the healthcare team, I just think that I would be much more happy as a doctor. I am actually very envious and jealous when I'm at work or clinical of the med students and residents. It's something that I think about all the time and wish I had done things differently in the past.

I originally went to a CC right out of highschool to pursue computer graphics and then transfer to a better school after, but I liked to drink alot and stay out late. I basically did really well in my classes, the thing that hurt me was my attendance and my first semester I got 4 C's. Second semester was a little better but still not great. I got 2 B's, 1 C, and an F because that was before I knew you could withdraw from classes. Third semester was alittle better, got 2 B's, 1 C and 1 D(went to every class but was not grasping the concept of the program Illustrator, went to tutoring, etc, and teacher still gave me a D even though I tried very hard to try to understand program.) Fourth semester started off bad, got a DUI right before semester started and was not able to get to school as easily and there for I was having a hardtime with all my classes. I eventually decided that I didn't like computer graphics and withdrew from 3 classes and then waited to long to withdraw from the 4th class and got an F.

Took off 2 years and worked. Met my wife and moved to another state to be closer to her. Went to another CC near where we were living and started taking pre-reqs for nursing school. First semester got 1 A, 2 B's, 1 C. Second semester, got C in A&P 1 and 1 B, had to drop intro to chem and algebra. Summer semester registered for algebra again but dropped class during first week because of prior arrangements. Also took A&P 2 but my grandfather died towards the end of semester and was not able to finish so teacher gave me an audit or something instead of a W since I attended every class and took all tests. Me and my wife then moved in with her parents and enrolled in yet another CC college near us. While there I recieved C+ and a B+(algebra) and also retried A&P 2 with same teacher and ended up withdrawing this time because I was having trouble.

Have been at another small school for 2 years now for nursing and have gotten all B+'s and A-'s in nursing classes. The school made me retake A&P's because they didn't transfer. Got a C+ in A&P 1 and a B in A&P 2 as well a B in Microbiology.

So, that is my long background of schooling and I know I have alot riding agaist me but I have spoke with med students and a few residents at work and they said that, yea I would have to basically ace all premed classes to bring up my GPA since I was planning on possibly entering a BIO program part time in the fall, and they also said I would have to do very well on the MCATs and get some good volunteer service in, but they said that I do have a chance if I really turned myself and grades around and it is not impossible for me to get in, its just not easy either. My wife is a nurse as well and she was also thinking of med school but she has a way better chance of getting in since she basically has a 4.0 science and nursing gpa and would only need to do a post bac program since she already has a BSN. I would like to get an MD but with my background a DO school is all I can probably get into if I even have any chance.

I know this is ALOT of info, but if anyone can give me any advice on whether I do or don't have any shot of even pursuing medicine, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have (or will you have) a Bachelor's degree? You will need one before you can go to Medical School. Based upon what you have said, I'm going to say that under the right circumstances, and with a well-rounded application, you will have a good shot at US Osteopathic Medical Schools (which, rumor has it, tend to be more forgiving of past bad grades) but I think your chances of getting into a US Allopathic Medical School are low. Despite what people say on here, most schools are MCAT/GPA ******. Of course there are people with low GPAs and an outstanding rest of their application that get in, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Just my opinion. Best of luck to you!

When I graduate in May from nursing school, I will only have an associates in nursing. I know I would need a bachelors degeree first and depending on how things go I was thinking about enrolling in a bachelor BIO program at a university in the area in the fall and go part time while working as a nurse.

What I have been told by residents and med students are that my chances of getting into a MD program once I have gotten a bachelors in bio and taking the mcats are very very slim but nothing is impossible and that I would have a much better but not that much better shot at getting into an oseopathic school or if it came down to it, possibly a non US school. I know that I am at a major disadvantage, this is just something that I can't stop thinking about for a while now.

Thank you for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are gonna have to butch-up eventually....your poor performance at the CCs only show your lack of either intelligence or motivation. You are missing one or the other (or both). If you can imagine that Medical School will be about 4 times as hard as CC work and 2 times as hard as your University studies. You MUST start performing now if anyone is going to take you seriously. Nothing less then a 4.0 at CC and 3.6 at your 4-year is going to help you at all. Don't be another day-dreaming jealous nurse who wants the Doctors Mercedes!

Why do you have to bash the nurses while giving advice?

Sheesh! :thumbdown:

You are gonna have to butch-up eventually....your poor performance at the CCs only show your lack of either intelligence or motivation. You are missing one or the other (or both). If you can imagine that Medical School will be about 4 times as hard as CC work and 2 times as hard as your University studies. You MUST start performing now if anyone is going to take you seriously. Nothing less then a 4.0 at CC and 3.6 at your 4-year is going to help you at all. Don't be another day-dreaming jealous nurse who wants the Doctors Mercedes!

I understand what you're saying. I'm not a *****, I think what I have/had is a lack of motivation. I do agree that if I want to even try to pursue this that I would have to start really cracking down now and also realize medical school is immensley harder than CC and universities. If I do decide to even pursue this and enroll at a university around here it would only be parttime and I would only be taking like 2 classes a semester. I planned on getting nothing less than an A- and I was going to use the first semester to gauge if I would pursue it any further. If I didn't do as well as stated then I would not pursue medicine because it would look bad on top of my already bad record and just try to find an area of nursing I like.

I agree.

To the OP, in the future it would be more helpful if you just post your GPA. I don't have time to try and calculate it, and I would need that info to give helpful advice. Good luck though. :luck:

Oh sorry about that. When I get a chance I'll get out my transcripts and calculate since I don't remember exactly how many credits each my classes were back then.

I would forget MD.

You have too many bad grades to explain and the DUI.

Maybe a DO if you do well on the MCAT and have at least a 3.0. I know they are easier on the CC too and other circumstances.

At this point, I would support my wife if I were you and get her into MD school. Sounds like she has the goods.

Sorry to be so frank, but I do not like to say things just make you feel better. Life is not always what you want. Make the best of a bad situation. Good luck, though.

Do you have (or will you have) a Bachelor's degree? You will need one before you can go to Medical School. Based upon what you have said, I'm going to say that under the right circumstances, and with a well-rounded application, you will have a good shot at US Osteopathic Medical Schools (which, rumor has it, tend to be more forgiving of past bad grades) but I think your chances of getting into a US Allopathic Medical School are low. Despite what people say on here, most schools are MCAT/GPA ******. Of course there are people with low GPAs and an outstanding rest of their application that get in, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Just my opinion. Best of luck to you!

Not True......While most schools applicants do have them, not all will have them upon matriculation....unless it is a school requirement.

I not bashing nurses...I'm a CNA. I am bashing day-dreaming jealous nurses who want the Doctors Mercedes.

Not True......While most schools applicants do have them, not all will have them upon matriculation....unless it is a school requirement.

This is Laughable:laugh: of course you need a 4-year. Look through the MSAR and you'll see every school's last class is 99-100% You think you'll be that one student at that one school...please

J DUB, thank you for your honesty. It doesn't bother me since I rather have someone be truthful instead of making a false reality for me when I know my chances are very slim as it is. Just something I want to clear up, the DUI is not on my record anymore. It has been 6 years since I've gotten it and it came off my record 3 years after I got it. It was not a criminal offense and it doesn't come up on any criminal background checks. I said that I would like to attend an MD program but I know that it is probably not possible and even with a DO I have little chances.

Awk, I'm not jealous of the money that doctors make, I am jealous of their job. I wish that I had wanted to do this all my life and maybe I wouldn't have made the stupid decisions I made when I was a teenager and so fourth. If it was about the money, there are plenty of other fields to go into that make more than physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you thought about Nurse Practitioner???? Its closer to what doctors do and probably way more attainable!

This is Laughable:laugh: of course you need a 4-year. Look through the MSAR and you'll see every school's last class is 99-100% You think you'll be that one student at that one school...please

Considering that I have been accepted to 3 schools already with 2 interviews lined up still, without a degree at time of matriculation, I DO KNOW that at most schools, it is NOT a requirement to have a degree. So, you really need to NOT believe everything you think, sucka!:smuggrin:

Have you thought about Nurse Practitioner???? Its closer to what doctors do and probably way more attainable!

Not really because NP's are mostly women and if I'm going to anything like that I'd rather be a surgical PA but thanks for the idea.

Right now I think I'm just going to see what happens after I graduate and see if its even worth it to put effort into this. I calculated my gpa from before nursing school and its just pitiful and after this semester it will probably be around a 3.0 with all my prior classes and nursing school classes. I would have to get a 4.0 in every class in the future to possibly even be looked at, if that at all. We'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Not really because NP's are mostly women and if I'm going to anything like that I'd rather be a surgical PA but thanks for the idea.

Right now I think I'm just going to see what happens after I graduate and see if its even worth it to put effort into this. I calculated my gpa from before nursing school and its just pitiful and after this semester it will probably be around a 3.0 with all my prior classes and nursing school classes. I would have to get a 4.0 in every class in the future to possibly even be looked at, if that at all. We'll see what happens.

So you wouldn't want to be a doctor if they were predominantly women? Just wondering.

Considering that I have been accepted to 3 schools already with 2 interviews lined up still, without a degree at time of matriculation, I DO KNOW that at most schools, it is NOT a requirement to have a degree. So, you really need to NOT believe everything you think, sucka!:smuggrin:

Either you are very special or this is BS...why not share your story and name where these acceptances came from (to enlighten us?)

Either you are very special or this is BS...why not share your story and name where these acceptances came from (to enlighten us?)

I got into the University of Utah without a degree......Im a MS-3. You ought to shut your mouth and stop acting like an ass......you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

I got into the University of Utah without a degree......Im a MS-3. You ought to shut your mouth and stop acting like an ass......you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

OMG you are such a liar. Here is a quote from the top of the University of Utah's admission page: "A bachelor's degree is required to enter the University of Utah School of Medicine"

http://uuhsc.utah.edu/som/admissions/frame_mainA.htm(click on pre-medical education!)

Okay in the 2004-2005 the University of Utah admitted 102 students...100% with BAs or BS. What year were you admitted? I'll check that MSAR too unless your making it up.

Why dont you go and slip into something a little more comfortable.......like a coma.:laugh: Dude, you really are annoying.......Are you even in medical school, or just applying? Im tellin you, I have a classmate who acts just like you, and our whole class hates him. Guess you atleast know what you have to look forward to when you go to med school......IF...you get it.

Oh, BTW.....wherever you are getting the information, its not accurate....obviously.

Why would an MS-3 post this a month ago: "Any of you guys applying to the PharmD program at U of Montana? I am from Florida, and have always loved Montana. Can anyone give me information on applicant statistic data, out of staters accepted, etc? I would surely appreciate it."

You did.

The link is right there. Thats your school (so says you). By the way you are in a pre-medical forum so why the redundant questions?

The MSAR isn't accurate eh? Seems everyone is against you Utah, the AAMC, ect.

Are you a middle school kid or something? SDN really needs to start requiring .edu sign up only. SDN does not need made up stories. The OP is searching for advice and false statments does nothing for anybody here. I suggest you be honest or leave SDN.

Be nice, everyone.

There are schools that do not require a bachelor's degree -- but I think they require about 90 credits towards a degree, with all the prereqs completed. And, as we all know, there are exceptions to every rule. If you want more complete accurate information, I suggest you contact the schools' admissions departments directly. :)

Oh, and by the way, remember the best way to deal with what you believe may be a troll is to ignore them. They're like bears or raccoons around your home -- if you don't feed them, they move along elsewhere.

Wow!!

You might think about some of your statements before you post them.

FYI: I did my NP program with many men from the USMC and Navy as well as several civilians.

I guess we really haven't come that far baby.

Wow!!

FYI: I did my NP program with many men from the USMC and Navy as well as several civilians.

Sorry I did not mean to come off as an ass. Yes, there are male NP's but in my area, I may have only seen 5 at the most, but this is just from my experience and these hospitals are big teaching hospitals. It doesn't really bother me about going into nursing and being a male because there are alot of area's of nursing that are predominantly or equally male, like for instance, critical care or trauma which is what I am interviewing for right now. I guess I feel that since I haven't seen many male NP's, that is more of a women's area of nursing, I mean they are predominant of that specialty. I'm not trying to sound sexist here even though you guys are probably feeling that I am, thats not my intent. Maybe I would op for an NP someday if I don't try to pursue this or whatever, who knows, I have nothing against them.

Wow!!

Don't feel sorry for your comment Aspiring...most NPs are women and if you don't want to work in a woman-dominated field than you don't have to. God forbid anyone say anything about women or nurses on SDN and not take a heap of mistaken guff. Sketcham is twisting your words into something negative about women which you clearly didn't intend.

Don't feel sorry for your comment Aspiring...most NPs are women and if you don't want to work in a woman-dominated field than you don't have to. God forbid anyone say anything about women or nurses on SDN and not take a heap of mistaken guff. Sketcham is twisting your words into something negative about women which you clearly didn't intend.

I agree. I work in a hospital, but since I have no clinical degree I am forced to do clerical work. I am the only male, and the only one with a college degree and even though I know it is only for the hospital experience, it is still embarrassing sometimes. Their was another guy that worked here, but he was gay. (not that there's anything wrong with that.:laugh: :laugh: ) I have nothing against women and I like the ones I work with. But to work in this kind of job as a guy can suck sometimes. It's not shallow or chauvanistic, it's just reality.

BTW, I am hopefully training to be a medic soon, and I am looking for part time jobs in research, but those research jobs have been surprisingly hard to find. Anyone have any advice for them.