Do I have any chances,,,,,,,,,please reply for help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bishoy20

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a senior year student and will be graduating in the spring 2011. I didn't submit my application yet because i am not done yet with the personal statement part of the application. I will be taking the DAT for the first time on Dec 28th and my GPA is 3.92, however i have not done any kind of volunteer in a dental office. I do understand that I am applying very late but want to know if it is worth to apply to many schools and will I be considered for any interviews. Thanks for time and effort, and replys will be very appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

have you done any shadowing at a dental office? many schools require a minimum # of hours of shadowing, which range from 30-100 hrs I believe.

Considering that your application would not be considered complete at any school til Dec 29th (if scores get mailed right away), it would really be a waste to apply. A lot of the schools fill up most of their classes during the December acceptances and therefore when you do apply that late, you are competing for far less seats. This would also then mean you would need to apply to a lot of schools which gets REALLLLYYYY expensive.. (AADSAS fee + individual application fees + DAT score request fees + possible interview costs + etc..).

If you really believe your application is strong enough to make you competitive and you ace the DATS in dec, then go for it. But if you have any hesitation or doubt then maybe you should wait to apply next year and be one of the first few applicants, which could potentially give you a better chance.

hope this helps..

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have lots of extra money to burn, then definitely apply. you could get in, but your chances obviously will be much greater next year. spend the next few months doing some volunteering and shadowing and you'll be golden.

if you have lots of extra money to burn, then definitely apply. you could get in, but your chances obviously will be much greater next year. spend the next few months doing some volunteering and shadowing and you'll be golden.

Or he/she could make a donation to his/her favorite charity.

I guess you guys got a wrong idea about me, hehehehehe, iam not rich at all and I have loans to pay for undergrad.

So, it is required to have a shadowing or volunteer experience to apply?

yes you need shadowing experience...call up random dental offices or through a friend and ask to shadow for a minimum of 30-50 hours.

Hi, I am a senior year student and will be graduating in the spring 2011. I didn't submit my application yet because i am not done yet with the personal statement part of the application. I will be taking the DAT for the first time on Dec 28th and my GPA is 3.92, however i have not done any kind of volunteer in a dental office. I do understand that I am applying very late but want to know if it is worth to apply to many schools and will I be considered for any interviews. Thanks for time and effort, and replys will be very appreciated

with zero volunteering (and assuming zero shadowing), its not looking good at all.

my understanding is, adcoms these days are looking at the whole deal. They want to see your smart and motivated (GPA + DAT scores), but they also wanna see your understanding of the field (shadowing experience gives you this).

Believe me, when a school gets 2000-4000 applications and only have 100 or so seats to fill, they will look for ANY reason to reject you. No shadowing experience is good grounds for a rejection. Spend the next few months shadowing, and apply early next cycle is my advice. Good luck to you

oright guys, i am so convinced with all your answers and i really appreciate so much but i have one more question. since i seem not ready for this year application process, should i take take the DAT that i already registered for on Dec 28th or just cancel it and take it later next year, and does it look bad on the application taking the DAT more than twice.

oright guys, i am so convinced with all your answers and i really appreciate so much but i have one more question. since i seem not ready for this year application process, should i take take the DAT that i already registered for on Dec 28th or just cancel it and take it later next year, and does it look bad on the application taking the DAT more than twice.

If you feel as if you are prepared enough to take the DAT in December, then go ahead and take it. If you don't do as well as you hoped, you can always re-take it next summer, adcoms aren't going to care if you take it twice.

if u never shadowed, where did u get your DENTIST LOR ?

If you feel as if you are prepared enough to take the DAT in December, then go ahead and take it. If you don't do as well as you hoped, you can always re-take it next summer, adcoms aren't going to care if you take it twice.

yea, but is it good to take the DAT more than twice

yea, but is it good to take the DAT more than twice

The answer to this question is irrelevant. If you have taken the DAT 2x times and you've done bad both times, then you have no other choice but to take it a 3rd time (even if its frowned upon).

It is always better the fewer times you take the DAT. I have heard this specifically from an adcom member. The reasoning behind this is that they want to be able to correlate your test taking abilities & aptitude with passing the boards and they want to be sure that you can do so. Taking it 2X or 3X makes it worse than once.

If you take it twice and still get a mediocore score the second time, you better be totally sure that you will do better the third time if that is what you are ever thinking. A third mediocore score will look bad and adcoms will begin to really question your abilities. So, after a second mediocore/average score, I would stop and not take the test again unless you are 100% positive that you will, not that you can, do better.

Oh yeah, apply next year. I am astounded to what others are saying. Do NOT apply this year. No question it is a huge waste of money. Good luck!

the best thing is to do well on your first try.
Doesn't matter if admins care or not. Write it when you feel you are ready.

Do you honestly want to study for that test twice? I don't I didn't.

It is always better the fewer times you take the DAT. I have heard this specifically from an adcom member. The reasoning behind this is that they want to be able to correlate your test taking abilities & aptitude with passing the boards and they want to be sure that you can do so. Taking it 2X or 3X makes it worse than once.

If you take it twice and still get a mediocore score the second time, you better be totally sure that you will do better the third time if that is what you are ever thinking. A third mediocore score will look bad and adcoms will begin to really question your abilities. So, after a second mediocore/average score, I would stop and not take the test again unless you are 100% positive that you will, not that you can, do better.

Oh yeah, apply next year. I am astounded to what others are saying. Do NOT apply this year. No question it is a huge waste of money. Good luck!

I think you are absolutely right about that,,,Hopefully i do good on my first trial

the best thing is to do well on your first try.
Doesn't matter if admins care or not. Write it when you feel you are ready.

Do you honestly want to study for that test twice? I don't I didn't.

Honestly not, but I won't have any other choice than taking it again if i don't do good on the first time,,,,,right!