Do I have any shot of getting into a TX school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A mix of circumstances has been delaying my MCAT studying, I already reserved my exam for July 28th. Not gonna lie I do have a procrastination issue, and I have a lot of outside obligations. I also work 45 hours a week. I don't really feel confident that I can be well prepared in 2 months.

I've been thinking about rescheduling my exam for August, but wouldn't that basically kill my chances of getting into a Texas in school (if I haven't done that already)? Say I reschedule to August 19, my score wouldn't be released until September 19. The deadline in Texas is September 29.

I'm kinda anxious to get into school, I don't want to push back my app another year but now I'm realizing that might be the best thing to do.

FYI I'm a URM (AA male) and my GPA is low (~3.1). Non-trad (age 25).

Members don't see this ad.

If you push it back to August I wouldn't even bother applying this cycle. Even July is very late because by the time you get your score, schools receive your application, it will be early September.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there,

Yes a August/September submission would seriously detriment your chances of getting into a TX school. Submitting the primary in September would cause schools to receive it a a few weeks later due to verification taking much longer the later in the cycle. I cannot speak for how much the URM would help you, but your GPA is very low for TX. TMDSAS doesn't do +- grading, which is why Texas schools have high GPA averages. Since this is the case, you would really need to do well on the MCAT and if you don't think you can do well in 2 months time, then push the test date back and wait till next year. Getting into medical schools isn't a race, and taking another year to get a solid app rather than applying with subpar stats is a much better alternative.

To better put things into perspective via interview dates,

Get score on sept 19th. -> Submit primary to TMDSAS.
Wait 2-3 weeks for verification -> TMDSAS sends to schools. You complete secondaries (if necessary)
Be done by octoberish. You would have already missed 2 months of interviews (Sept and october). Since schools send out II's usually 3-4 weeks before, and you may have lower stats, it is unlikely that you would get an interview anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
would it make a difference if I submitted earlier without my MCAT?

would it make a difference if I submitted earlier without my MCAT?

They wont verify and transmit your application to schools until you send them at least one MCAT score, so no it wouldnt make a difference

EDIT: This is wrong. You can verify without MCAT

Last edited:
I wouldn't apply this cycle. Spend the time in-between cycles retaking classes to get your GPA up and preparing for the MCAT. Do not waste this application cycle by submitting late and having low stats.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using SDN mobile

They wont verify and transmit your application to schools until you send them at least one MCAT score, so no it wouldnt make a difference

Really? TMDSAS needs an MCAT to start the verification process? I thought it was the same as AMCAS...app can be transmitted to schools and then MCAT updated later

Will taking the MCAT after July delay my application processing?
It will not cause a delay in TMDSAS processing your application. However, if you are taking the MCAT for the first time in July - September, be aware that the medical schools may not complete the review of your application until the MCAT score has been received. Because of this it is highly recommended that you take the MCAT in January, March, April or May.

This is what their website says. Doesn't this mean that TMDSAS will still process and verify the application without an MCAT score just like AMCAS does? So, in that case, OP submitting the app earlier would make a difference right?

I've done some searching and there's some mixed responses.

I've read that your app won't be reviewed until all materials are in, but didn't say anything about being verified.

So I'm thinking it doesn't make much of a difference when you submit if you don't have all materials. But I could be wrong.

I've done some searching and there's some mixed responses.

I've read that your app won't be reviewed until all materials are in, but didn't say anything about being verified.

So I'm thinking it doesn't make much of a difference when you submit if you don't have all materials. But I could be wrong.

Hmm, but even AMCAS won't be reviewed by schools until all materials are in. But it still makes a difference when you submit for AMCAS. Thought TMDSAS worked the same way :thinking:this is confusing.

Yeah but with AMCAS you know you'll be verified if you submit early without an MCAT. With TMDSAS is where the confusion is.

Sorry y'all I was just about to come back on and edit my post. So yeah I did make a small mistake. If OP submitted without MCAT I think they would go ahead and verfiy, however schools would not be able to download his application until the MCAT score came in. Therefore sending in your MCAT score as soon as you got it would only save you the 2-3 weeks of verification but Sept 19th is still way too late regardless.