Medical Do I have enough research hours for top 20 medical schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and turned my AMCAS in 2 weeks ago. I'm concerned that it was unwise to under-report my research hours.
... I have a 3.96/521, and I'm worried that because my research hours are at 600, I won't be considered by the top 20 medical schools. Am I being neurotic or is 600 hours on the lower end for the more competitive schools?

1) I think it is okay to report just your most relevant and meaningful experiences rather than a comprehensive audit.

2) You have a publication, a poster, and 600 hours. Some applicants will have more of each, some will have less. I'd focus on the meaningfulness of your experience and how it ties into why you want to go to a top-20 medical school. Why is having a research component so important, and what do each of the top 20 schools offer that connects bench to bedside?

Members don't see this ad.

How refreshing to meet someone who didn't inflate their research hours. Kudos to you! Personally, I think adcomms will zero in on the years of commitment (three years being well above the average listed), the publication, and any related LOR.

Who did you list as a Contact and what are they likely to say about your dates of involvement and total hours? Did you submit an LOR from the PI and/or degree candidate you worked with? What are they likely to say about you? If you gradually worked into a position of trust and began to take some creative control over a research project, that will go a long way toward reassuring adcomms that you have the quality they are looking for.

Unrelated to the research but often of equal importance to top schools: did you list a significant Leadership position? Many Mission Statements among the T-20s state that they aim to train future leaders in medicine. Does your application reflect that you have that potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.