Do I have hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachy!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just wanted to know if you think I have a chance of getting accepted this cycle. I completed my optometry application in mid-Aug. I wrote my OAT in Sept and did extremely horrible (260 ouch). I suck at organic chemistry and it plummeted my score. I even bought the Kaplan self-paced course and textbook. Here are my sad scores:

RC: 280
GC: 290
QR: 270
Physics: 240
Bio: 250
OC: 210
TS: 240
AA: 260

I had my interview with Salus and MCPHS in Sept. After 3 weeks, MCPHS waitlisted me. Salus sent me a letter saying that I need to re-take the OAT and they haven't made a decision yet. I booked my OAT around the end of December. I also booked the GRE for this October just to try it out and see if I get a decent score (did anyone take the GRE?).

Here is some background about me: I'm a Canadian student with a 3.2 GPA, about 100 hours of shadowing, president/vice-president of 3 clubs at my uni (includes pre-optometry club), and plenty of volunteer experience (hospital/eye clinic). I applied to UIWRSO, Salus, MCPHS, Western, ICO, Nova, KYCO, and University of Waterloo (Canada).

Please give me your honest opinion of what you think? I'm so worried that I will mess up the OAT again :'( it's just so hard for me

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA and extracurriculars are fine. That OAT does need to come up a bit. I think you have a decent chance with Salus and MCPHS if you get your AA to a 300 minimum. I think your more than capable if you stick to a study schedule and use the right materials(CHADS VIDEOS ARE THE BEST).Even with your competitive GPA and extra curricular, your current scores won't get you in. Maybe the GRE will be better for you, assuming the school you applied to accept that test.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA and extracurriculars are fine. That OAT does need to come up a bit. I think you have a decent chance with Salus and MCPHS if you get your AA to a 300 minimum. I think your more than capable if you stick to a study schedule and use the right materials(CHADS VIDEOS ARE THE BEST).Even with your competitive GPA and extra curricular, your current scores won't get you in. Maybe the GRE will be better for you, assuming the school you applied to accept that test.

Thank you so much for your reply! This is awesome advice. I will definitely check out Chad's Videos.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You got this ! I agree live and sleep with Chad's Videos and get your hands on as many practice tests as you possibly can :) You will be celebrating the New Year with a big smile !! GPA and extracurriculars are good enough for many admissions.....

I got accepted to both MCPHS and Salus with a pretty average GRE score!

I got accepted to both MCPHS and Salus with a pretty average GRE score!

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, how did you study for the GRE? I booked it 2 weeks from now and I kinda have to cram :'(

You got this ! I agree live and sleep with Chad's Videos and get your hands on as many practice tests as you possibly can :) You will be celebrating the New Year with a big smile !! GPA and extracurriculars are good enough for many admissions.....

Thanks a lot!! I will do this for sure! :)

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, how did you study for the GRE? I booked it 2 weeks from now and I kinda have to cram :'(
Sorry just saw this! I divided the prep book and did a set number of sections everyday. the few days before taking the exam, i did practice tests! Good luck!

Kaplan self study had a great OAT study plan and question bank!. Study a single subject per day and rotate that so you don't get burnout from studying the same subject too long. Also take many practice tests! I took 4 and got around 280, 290 and 300 but my real OAT score was 320, better than all of them. Definitely go back and study your worst subjects and watch youtube videos and MCAT practice sites. Hope your next test and GRE go well!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to know if you think I have a chance of getting accepted this cycle. I completed my optometry application in mid-Aug. I wrote my OAT in Sept and did extremely horrible (260 ouch). I suck at organic chemistry and it plummeted my score. I even bought the Kaplan self-paced course and textbook. Here are my sad scores:

RC: 280
GC: 290
QR: 270
Physics: 240
Bio: 250
OC: 210
TS: 240
AA: 260

I had my interview with Salus and MCPHS in Sept. After 3 weeks, MCPHS waitlisted me. Salus sent me a letter saying that I need to re-take the OAT and they haven't made a decision yet. I booked my OAT around the end of December. I also booked the GRE for this October just to try it out and see if I get a decent score (did anyone take the GRE?).

Here is some background about me: I'm a Canadian student with a 3.2 GPA, about 100 hours of shadowing, president/vice-president of 3 clubs at my uni (includes pre-optometry club), and plenty of volunteer experience (hospital/eye clinic). I applied to UIWRSO, Salus, MCPHS, Western, ICO, Nova, KYCO, and University of Waterloo (Canada).

Please give me your honest opinion of what you think? I'm so worried that I will mess up the OAT again :'( it's just so hard for me
Hi! this is a little late but is the gpa your optomcas gpa? my gpa is similar to yours, transcript wise, but my optomcas is a little lower and that's what i'm most worried about. my science optomcas gpa also is low...so kinda worried, but praying for the best!
how did the others go?

TS and AA are both very bad. You need to learn the ability to take exams. No way around it. You might squeak in if you get 280/290 (maybe), but you will struggle and have a terrible time if you don't learn how to STUDY.

What's worse than taking a year off and learning to study? Getting in, paying half a year of tuition and dropping out because you are bombing all your classes.

It's harsh to say but that's just the reality of things.